• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran Pilot/FFDO Arrested: Blows .05 in MSP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This makes no sense, it's like saying the company pays me money, I pay for my house, therefore when I'm in my house I'm on company property.

Oh, by the way, they serve alcohol on the jet which is "company property"...

How in the world did you stretch it to that? Absurd!

Overnights only remove you from the present responsibility for flight, otherwise you are still accruing time away from base and (aside from the FAR sense) you are "on-duty" to the extent that you are on an overnight for the sole and express purpose of continuing your trip the next day.

When you're home, who cares what you do. When you're on a trip for your employer and representing the company, I'll bet they do!

+1. Especially on overnights. Bagging a pilot over the legal limit is the equivalent of a wet dream for the TSA. Why give them a reason? And to think this was before he got the 1/2/3 SWA hotel booze bonus.....

I suspect this is the reason why the 1/2/3 is history.

How in the world did you stretch it to that? Absurd!

Overnights only remove you from the present responsibility for flight, otherwise you are still accruing time away from base and (aside from the FAR sense) you are "on-duty" to the extent that you are on an overnight for the sole and express purpose of continuing your trip the next day.

When you're home, who cares what you do. When you're on a trip for your employer and representing the company, I'll bet they do!

That's just crazy. How long have you been flying, BringUp?
http://cf.alpa.org/internet/projects/ftdt/faacorr/reserve_rest_qa.html
"3. How does the FAA define rest?

The FAA has consistently interpreted "rest" to mean a continuous period of time during which the flight crewmember is free from all restraint by a certificate holder. This includes freedom from work and freedom from responsibility for work should the occasion arise. Thus, a crewmember who was required to be near a phone, carry a beeper, or maintain contact by computer so that he would be available should the carrier need to notify him/her of a reassignment would not be on rest."

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/cabin_safety/regs/legal/media/onephcallFAfinal.DOC
"Rest must satisfy three conditions in order to qualify as a rest period: It must be 1) a continuous period of time, 2) determined prospectively, and 3) during which the crewmember is free from all restraint by the certificate holder,
including freedom from present responsibility from work should the occasion arise."

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/cabin_safety/regs/legal/media/onephcallFAfinal.DOC
"Rest must satisfy three conditions in order to qualify as a rest period: It must be 1) a continuous period of time, 2) determined prospectively, and 3) during which the crewmember is free from all restraint by the certificate holder,
including freedom from present responsibility from work should the occasion arise."

I've worked with enough FAA CHDOs to tell you what that means.

It means that working in the office is not considered rest and that if the FAA were to come in and audit your Flight and Rest records and found someone (usually a management pilot) had been performing office duties and flying, they could end up with insufficient documented rest.

It does not greenlight Mardi Gras on an overnight, sorry. Try Again.

But I would be interested in being pursuaded how turning a 4-day trip into a jet-powered trans-continental pub crawl enhances the professionalism of pilots, and how that bad old TSA shouldn't harsh our mellow. And if you've got time, maybe go over how the behavior of Wall Street types has any bearing on how professional aviators should behave, because that one sounds kinda 3rd grade to my old ears.

So have we, that's not the point. Having a drink OUTSIDE of our 12 hour FOM requirement is not going to get anyone in any hot water whatsoever.

What 12 hour requirement? Do you mean 8 hours, or was there a memo I missed? :eek:

Latest resources

Back