Airtran Pilot/FFDO Arrested: Blows .05 in MSP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He was talking about Burbank.

1271 in MDW was a perfect approach, a perfect landing in the touchdown zone followed by braking action much worse than reported.

Gup

Wrong accident, however, the MDW accident summary is:
http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20051213X01964&key=1
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this ACC as follows:

The pilots' failure to use available reverse thrust in a timely manner to safely slow or stop the airplane after landing, which resulted in a runway overrun. This failure occurred because the pilots' first experience and lack of familiarity with the airplane's autobrake system distracted them from thrust reverser usage during the challenging landing.

Last edited:
He was talking about Burbank.

1271 in MDW was a perfect approach, a perfect landing in the touchdown zone followed by braking action much worse than reported.

Gup

Perfect approach???? hahahahahahahah

The NTSB concluded that the probable cause for the accident was excessive flight speed and the steep angle of the glidepath (7 degrees, as opposed to the 3 degrees normally used for both visual and instrument approaches), and the flight crew's failure to abort the approach when conditions were not met for a stable approach and landing. The action of the flight controller was listed as a contributing factor in the accident: "Contributing to the accident was the controller's positioning of the airplane in such a manner as to leave no safe options for the flight crew other than a go-around maneuver."[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwest_Airlines_Flight_1455

Burbank city officials demanded that Southwest Airlines pay their $40,000 bill for services, including overtime for police officers and firefighters, related to the March 5 accident. Southwest refused to pay stating that the airline is entitled to emergency services since the airline pays taxes to the city.[13]

Sweet!

And I didn't mean this to start as a Southwest bashing. It was a response to the Dude trashing Airtran and saying Southwest was above all that.

Anyway..... Back to the Airtran Captain.....

And I didn't mean this to start as a Southwest bashing. It was a response to the Dude trashing Airtran and saying Southwest was above all that.

Dude, its flightinfo.com, thats all people do is bash on SWA.

The theory of the Defendant's case was that indeed, no alcohol was consumed by the Defendant prior to or during driving the car. Rather, alcohol was only consumed after the accident to quell the pain resulting from the Defendant breaking his hand.

I recall taking my USAREUR (US ARmy EURope) driver's written test of German driving laws and learning that the Germans have some lengthy period of time (2-days, I think) to test you for alcohol after an accident. It was drummed into us to never drink after an accident, even long after returning home.

(Obviously not the case here... but it is interesting to see how others manage their drunk driving regulations.)

Yep. You can have the worst hangover the next day and blow 0.0. To further that, if true, no doubt that he wasn't fully rested. What if your family was on board? Would you be like Waveflyer and say "Well, there has never been an accident attributed to a pilot being drunk, so let's give the guy a break."???
"The demonization of drugs and alcohol? Are you high? 2, 3, 4, heck, even 5 drinks is one thing 10 hours before departure. .05 at departure? :angryfire

With .05?
I'm really not that concerned- I'd fly w/ my mother and feel about as good as getting on with a regional crew that is scheduled to all nuttiness. It's not my favorite, but I have high confidence in virtually all flight crews- and we all prove it everyday putting our bodies through the ringer with this job. Look, it's the MADD dominated culture- driving is statistically factors more dangerous than flying and drivers much less responsible and well trained at their task. I'm not espousing being lit on the job, but why is it acceptable for Air France pilots to have a glass of wine across the pond, but we're thrown into a witch-hunt rooted in public ignorance of commercial flying when a pilot blows .05?

A dumb move considering the current rules and public perception? Yes ( IF he is in fact guilty)-- But are the current rules and public perception asinine and unfounded? I stand by that. The pendulum has swung too far.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back