AirTran MEC: Whine on!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
to what? (GASP) 90 cities?

Get over yourself quoting wiener measuring stats like number of flights....

Says the guy who is a veteran SWA stalker. Just can't stay away from the most popular airline out there huh? I don't even bother to read a thread about Delta, who cares about Delta anyway.

Unlikely that I'll still be working here when SWAPA takes over representation. If that happens quicker than expected, though, then no, I won't be using any SWAPA avatar. I was hopeful when new officers took over that SWAPA might start acting like adults, but so far they're still pushing this "AirTran pilots can't file a DRA claim" nonsense, so I have no desire to associate myself with SWAPA. I'll pay my dues and be a member in good standing, but that's about it.

SWAPA is still trying to protect its own pilot group. You are hardcore ALPA. Why don't you want to become a hardcore SWAPA guy?

SWAPA is still trying to protect its own pilot group. You are hardcore ALPA. Why don't you want to become a hardcore SWAPA guy?

Two reasons:

1. Ethics matter, and they evidently have none.

2. The term "independent union" is an oxymoron.

to what? (GASP) 90 cities?

Get over yourself quoting wiener measuring stats like number of flights....

Thats funny Bill. I'm just stating factual numbers. We could fly across the globe like Delta does too.....but I'm sure we would just set the auto pilot for that 14 hour flight like you do. 90 cities in 48 states means we don't have to get our landings in a sim to be current...right?

Why did you even both to respond? Feeling a little inadequate?

Thats funny Bill. I'm just stating factual numbers. We could fly across the globe like Delta does too.....but I'm sure we would just set the auto pilot for that 14 hour flight like you do. 90 cities in 48 states means we don't have to get our landings in a sim to be current...right?

Why did you even both to respond? Feeling a little inadequate?

Hand-flying and landing are basically mechanical skills. International flying can be plenty challenging; it's not all talking to Miami Center while flying across open water in radar contact. ;)

Some of those places have arcane procedures you will vaguely remember, plus rocks in the clouds and "controllers" who will cheerfully give you permission to kill yourself in several languages, none of which sound much like English. :laugh:

Last edited:
Speaking of international, there's a rumor going around that an Air Tran pilot was hit by a car on an SJU overnight. Is he/she okay? Prayers sent out.

Speaking of international, there's a rumor going around that an Air Tran pilot was hit by a car on an SJU overnight. Is he/she okay? Prayers sent out.

Last I heard he was critical moving to stable. But that was on the line so could be just gossip. Hope he is ok!

Hand-flying and landing are basically mechanical skills. International flying can be plenty challenging; it's not all talking to Miami Center while flying across open water in radar contact. ;)

Some of those places have arcane procedures you will vaguely remember, plus rocks in the clouds and "controllers" who will cheerfully give you permission to kill yourself in several languages, none of which sound much like English. :laugh:

I agree and understand Ty. My only point was...I think our mechanical skills are pretty good with the simple volume of flying we do. International brings it's own differences. Flying across open oceans for 8-14 hours really doesn't have any mechanical interaction with the plane. Calling reporting points and understanding the controller brings on a different type of work, but I wouldn't call it a stick and rudder skill.

We have no ROR on the RSW side for our pilots being displaced by FAT

The difference (if there is a difference) is that the pilots who were awarded 717 positions to occupy when they crossed the fence to SW in the transition bid will be displaced out of equipment because their awarded bid position doesn't exist anymore. To my knowledge this has never happened to a SW pilot, getting pushed out the bottom of a base when the company reduces the size of the base is not the same thing. I don't know what, if anything, the SW contract says as far as handling an equipment displacement but I think that's the question.

Let's say that tomorrow SW said they were buying 20 787's, awarded the vacancies and sent a bunch of pilots off to school. Then, after the pilots completed training and flew the planes for a year the company disposed of the 787 fleet and these pilots got displaced from their 787 equipment bid awards and had to go back to the 737. Would these (let's say very senior) pilots have to go back to say, OAK and LAS if those were the only bases available or could they use their seniority to displace more junior pilots to get back to DAL, HOU or wherever? This is the scenario that's being discussed I think but I may be wrong. I don't know if the SW contract says anything because SW only has one aircraft type so it's never happened before until now.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back