Airtran MEC voted no

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I disagree.

You guys got an IMMEDIATE payraise when the SW purchase was announced. But you guys like to forget that small detail. With your previous management, you could still be on those old, underpaid Airtran rates. Would you still be happy with that?

Uh, no, we wouldn't be.

I know you guys like to tell yourselves that we FAT cats are living large as a result of the merger, but really the opposite is true.

Most of us believe we would have gotten a bigger pay raise had the negotiations process kept moving forward . . . . instead, the merger was announced, and the prospect of getting an industry-standard leading contract was abandoned.

Anyway, Ty's done teaching History Class. You guys can keep it going if you want.

Uh, no, we wouldn't be.

I know you guys like to tell yourselves that we FAT cats are living large as a result of the merger, but really the opposite is true.

Most of us believe we would have gotten a bigger pay raise had the negotiations process kept moving forward .

I didn't say you were living large, but you are making more (per hour) than you were before Southwest showed up. True?

I know you guys are sitting around, but the payrate is definitely more than it was.

'Bigger pay raise had the negotiations process kept moving forward'? That's funny. Management would have continued to stonewall you for another 2 years...easy. Probably more. Even then, it wouldn't have been industry average...you know the management team you had in place. To say otherwise is disingenuous.

Last edited:
I disagree.

You guys got an IMMEDIATE payraise when the SW purchase was announced. But you guys like to forget that small detail. With your previous management, you could still be on those old, underpaid Airtran rates. Would you still be happy with that?

Did Gary have an idea of what he might do next when the MEC voted it down? Maybe. When you negotiate for a house, do you tell the agent what your next move will be if they don't take the first deal? That's the reality of what your saying. Does that make any sense?

But the deal was the deal. You remember....negotiated by both NC groups. It was a stand alone deal that Gary threw alot of money at. He put everything he had into deal one. The MEC decided the deal wasn't good enough or that the AAI NC went rogue. Whatever. The AAI pilots should have had a vote in their future. That rug was pulled out from under them. Very sad.

There was upfront money in AIP1, but all the captains would then lose when they transition to SWA FO prior to 2015. AIP 1 offered SWA pay rates 6 months after the close of the vote and less seniority than AIP2. Had we taken AIP1 I would be in my 10th month of SWA pay, only to lose it in the next 14 to 18 months. When I transition over to FO. As for profit sharing, the difference between SWA profit sharing this year and our guaranteed retirement contribution which SWA immediately dropped to 9.9percent for parity with RSW is only about $1500.00. Although 1500 is a decent number, it is not the windfall most SWA pilots think we got. As for job security, who can say? Yes SWA has had a long run of success, but I see an old, slow to change operation that is technologically light years behind everybody else. I see high costs and labor troubles on the horizon. The next 3 to 5 years will be a crucial time in the history of SWA, again who's to say what Will happen.

Last edited:
What agreement ru talking about? Not AIP1! Besides 780ish CP slots, 10 year ATL fence, immed pay, u had one for one furlough protection...

I didn't say you were living large, but you are making more (per hour) than you were before Southwest showed up. True?

I know you guys are sitting around, but the payrate is definitely more than it was.

'Bigger pay raise had the negotiations process kept moving forward'? That's funny. Management would have continued to stonewall you for another 2 years...easy. Probably more. Even then, it wouldn't have been industry average...you know the management team you had in place. To say otherwise is disingenuous.

Red,

If I'd claimed to have any intimate knowledge of your Section 6 negotiations for the last 10 years you'd quite rightly call me an idiot. I didn't, and you are. I'd remind you of the Spirit strike, but it will probably distract you.

You have no idea of our status with the NMB at the time, nor do you have any idea with regard to our W2s since. Mine has stayed the same for the last 3 years. The first officers W2s, have gone from dismal, to less than mediocre.

A SWA pilot quoting raised hourly pay rates as a factor in a 'win', without regard for the fact that credit has been cut by 20 - 30% is hilarious, in a sick way. I hope you have nothing to do with SWAPAs negotiations.

You're embarrassing yourself, and I've just wasted my time attempting to explain something to a closed mind.

I disagree.

Did Gary have an idea of what he might do next when the MEC voted it down? Maybe. When you negotiate for a house, do you tell the agent what your next move will be if they don't take the first deal? That's the reality of what your saying. Does that make any sense?

But the deal was the deal. You remember....negotiated by both NC groups. It was a stand alone deal that Gary threw alot of money at. He put everything he had into deal one. The MEC decided the deal wasn't good enough or that the AAI NC went rogue. Whatever. The AAI pilots should have had a vote in their future. That rug was pulled out from under them. Very sad.

The way I see it AAI FOs got parity with the industry average. Nothing to brag about and an eventual outcome. Even management was on board with that before the merger announcement with pilot shortages coming.

The only advantage the merger annoucement did for our contract negotiations was the reserve Captains took a big pay cut and our Captain line holders are about 5% below industry average.

I am surprised none of our junior reserve Captains have gone insane. I buy them dinner on overnights when I can, but a lot of times they just stay in their hotel room and cry themselves to sleep I think.

If you want to take credit for that.... ok. And I am sure you will blame us for all your problems in the future too.

Last edited:
One has.... .Maxblast. Perhaps instead of dinner, you might want to offer him some Thorazine and a nice warm cup o' STFU

I thought you said "he" was a "she", what the hells going on over there?

Latest resources

Back