• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran MEC voted no

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not everyone wants to work at SWA. We 6000 chose to work here, and SWA also hired us. The perspective we have is something only the 6000 of us understand. This place is not perfect but I bet 99.9% of the 6000 here if nothing else respects this company. I never said drank kool-aid, just respected this company. The BOD of SWA is highly respected around here, even when we disagree with their decisions, respect is never lost. To the outside world, it seems like we are arrogant, that's not true, just the only pilot group left with respect for their MGMNT. I think the 6000 of us were naive to think the Airtran pilots would understand this. It is obvious they don't. What happens next is anyone's guess...I guess this is why Herb wanted nothing to do with mergers.

OMFG

The mutual respect was absent in this agreement.

Oh My Feking God that you don't see that.

"I guess this is why Herb wanted nothing to do with mergers"

or international, or 800s, or PHL, LGA, BOS, or many other things SWA is today. Times change, you have to change with it, or you will always stay 6000 pilot airline, while others start to pass you by. Your BOD made a smart move. Let's hope the pilots will follow.

"it wasn't do we grow Southwest, or do we buy AirTran? It was, we need AirTran so we can grow in the future" Mr. Kelly said (Wall Street Journal, May).

Your selfish behavior hampers the ability of the company that you love so much to continue to provide a stable work place for you.

Last edited:
I've been bringing this up from the beginning. Never underestimate what can and may happen. Yes this goes both ways and to both groups BUT SWA has a history of loyalty (which is reciprocal) with its Pilot group. Economy is going in the tank, AT is way too inefficient in many markets, look for the cut backs to begin and guess which side of the fence they will occur. You folks had a winning lottery ticket. Perfect? NO it was not the powerball but it was a nice 2M jackpot. Good luck guys/girls, History indicates it is going to be a bumpy ride from here on out.

I don't know bout this.

AAI BWI market increased 30% before the merger.

AAI MKE tripled in size.

BOS holding our own.

MCO opens as a AAI pilot base.

SWA zero growth against us.

What I am getting at is SWA had trouble competing with us in these markets and wanted to get into ATL so they bought us. We were not doing so bad, and the market warranted more mergers.

Inefficeancy could be making 30% more than your piers at other airlines, but I think you make up for that in other ways.

Oh and about that threat at the end..... maybe preTWA, and where is this culture you guys keep talking about right now. You guys are acting like we have 18 year FOs over here.

Geezh. All I see is fear, threats and hate on here by SWA.

Whatever happens don't forget to be competitive or you will just be another airline on the wall eventually.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt it was the majority of the pilots who lobbied the MEC.

OMG you are so wrong.

In the beginning there was rationalization about this by many including myself. After all it was an interesting approach to it. It took time for us to work through it. I don't blame the Merger Comittee for this. They went into the Lions Den. I think they worked their butts off for this. As more things came out about it so many around me on the fense turned against this. The trend was going no not yes very fast this last week.

You were not here the last 3 weeks and have no idea the anguish over this.

Last edited:
OMG you are so wrong.

In the beginning there was rationalization about this by many. After all it was an interesting approach to it. I don't blame the Merger Comittee for this. They went into the Lions Den. I think they worked their butts off for this. As more things came out about it so many around me on the fense turned against this. The trend was going no not yes very fast this last week.

You were not here the last 3 weeks and have no idea the anguish over this.

There's really not a whole lot more to discuss on the matter.

It is said and done. Any of you who think arbitration is a slam dunk, it is time you wake up from your nap.

Time for us all to walk away from the debate. The wheels are all in motion and none of us have anything to do with it.

Peace y'all!

"I guess this is why Herb wanted nothing to do with mergers"

or international, or 800s, or PHL, LGA, BOS, or many other things SWA is today. Times change, you have to change with it, or you will always stay 6000 pilot airline, while others start to pass you by. Your BOD made a smart move. Let's hope the pilots will follow.

"it wasn't do we grow Southwest, or do we buy AirTran? It was, we need AirTran so we can grow in the future" Mr. Kelly said (Wall Street Journal, May).

Your selfish behavior hampers the ability of the company that you love so much to continue to provide a stable work place for you.

I know the BOD made a smart move, that's all they do is smart moves. Like I said the respect is there. SWA has always done the "right" thing for their people. Also, at no time has SWAPA ever prevented SWA from anything. In the end all of us here know what's good for SWA is good for me. Herb also said that, you either grow or shrink, there is no standing still. I don't question the BODs decision to go after Airtran. In fact, it is brilliant, but GK is also not going to put his "culture" in jeopardy. This has the potential to do that. I am happy where I am at, and I rather play for the shark than get eaten by the shark. We shall see, I just don't think you guys will ever have the respect for this place than the 6000 of us already have.

There's really not a whole lot more to discuss on the matter.

It is said and done. Any of you who think arbitration is a slam dunk, it is time you wake up from your nap.

Time for us all to walk away from the debate. The wheels are all in motion and none of us have anything to do with it.

Peace y'all!

Not sure what side u r on, but don't throw in the towel yet. Arbitration is the end process. You never know.

Latest resources

Back