• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran MEC CYA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My house is in order best as it can be. I am prepared for the likelihood I'll be displaced and maybe all the way back to West Coast reserve. I pay cash for everything. At my last carrier when we furloughed a lot of people were caught off guard and suffered for it. I hope not to be caught and to help others realize the situation so they can prepare as well. I get no pleasure out of preaching gloom and doom and hope I'm wrong. That hope just isn't supported by any facts.

Well to that end- ill preach that line too w/o the doom and gloom- it just makes good financial sense to have a good 1/2 year's income saved in this line of work-

I do it for selfish reasons- I don't have self induced stress

I have a hard time believing that you're this bent out of shape if you really have a good nest egg built up

Last edited:
Personally I don't think the nest egg is ever big enough to cover every possibility. But this isn't really about me it's about the folks that will be more affected than me and getting our SWAPA and SWA to level with us all. A big flaw in our pilot group is we tend to be too optimistic about our futures. I think we are about to get a quick and painful dose of reality. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it will be OK, just like it has been for the last 40 years at SWA, but in my opinion the data points to something else.

Last edited:
Personally I don't think the nest egg is ever big enough to cover every possibility. But this isn't really about me it's about the folks that will be more affected than me and getting our SWAPA and SWA to level with us all. A big flaw in our pilot group is we tend to be too optimistic about our futures. I think we are about to get a quick and painful dose of reality. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it will be OK, just like it has been for the last 40 years at SWA, but in my opinion the data points to something else.

Hey at least the company is promoting somebody to Vice President of "this or that" once a week. Couple that with all the new construction of buildings and improvements to the existing GO and grounds. What is there not to be happy about? Hell, they put up a basket ball court in the parking lot in about a week while I was in training. Almost makes me want to quit flying and be the assistant balloon and streamer person to the vice chair of cultural compliance.

You're reading the wrong tea leaves guys-
But go on and make yourselves miserable

Hey at least the company is promoting somebody to Vice President of "this or that" once a week. Couple that with all the new construction of buildings and improvements to the existing GO and grounds. What is there not to be happy about? Hell, they put up a basket ball court in the parking lot in about a week while I was in training. Almost makes me want to quit flying and be the assistant balloon and streamer person to the vice chair of cultural compliance.

As Doofenshmirtz says "you really should consider minioning, it's a growth industry you know."

OK Wave please tell me where the ASMS come from to generate the block hours to keep this many pilots busy. I think given that they have full unrestricted codeshare with a carrier whose ASM cost is lower than ours that has underutilized airframes and pilots that if those ASMS were out there either SWA or FL would be flying them.

Miserable? I thought I was using sarcasm in a comical way?

I like SWA. I think it's a good company and has a good product. It's a little hard for me to swallow the the "lets tighten the belt" pill, when I see a lot of spending occurring at the HQ. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I would really like to see the classics retired. I don't think they provide good customer service. They are too hot in the summer. If it truly is about keeping the customer satisfied, let's not combine sauna and flying experience at the same time.

OK Wave please tell me where the ASMS come from to generate the block hours to keep this many pilots busy. I think given that they have full unrestricted codeshare with a carrier whose ASM cost is lower than ours that has underutilized airframes and pilots that if those ASMS were out there either SWA or FL would be flying them.

Trust and patience brother

Talk to me next year, when all the initiatives are complete

In the meantime prepare for the worst then let it go

Hum-
No argument with any of that- I was really just talking to GBJ

Don't forget GK's nice raise-
Kinda hard to get concessions if the ceo's getting a raise-

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back