• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran MEC Chair message.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
30% per year. So if it takes more than three years and results in 29% reduction per year, which is most likely how this deal goes down, now what? See, no problem.

The deal is already pretty clear. Airplanes are all gone in 2015. He may be able to stretch it a little bit to avoid hitting the trigger in 2014, but then he hits it in 2015 no matter what.

Lear,
Don't kid yourself, I will welcome every single AT pilot here- but most of swapa wins if AT pilots go with the airplanes to delta. I don't see anyone having angst over that. We're all a bit miffed that 2/3 of your fleet are being sold while we had to integrate all of you. Many of whom would rather be at delta.
Thanks for the welcome and yes, I'd imagine you would be... This is more in line with what I thought most SWAPA pilots would think of the issue.

In regards to the partition, ATALPa also is party to the transition agreement, that outlays the schedule for moving AT planes to swa. Since those aircraft were scheduled to come over at about the same rate, I don't see where that would trigger the language. Nothing really changes. Just instead of painting 717's and putting them in the system, we get new 73's. Though I wish you could get a choice out of it.
Because we specifically waived protections to our CBA (1.D.2 is what covers what you're talking about) in OUR side letter for the SLI, and limits those aircraft coming to Southwest.

It's the transfer to an outside 3rd party certificated air carrier that triggers the language.

I know that the MEC leadership is discussing it with management. We'll just have to wait and see what comes of it in the coming weeks.

30% per year. So if it takes more than three years and results in 29% reduction per year, which is most likely how this deal goes down, now what? See, no problem.
I think you missed the announcement: 88 total aircraft, 16 in 2013, 36 in 2014, the last 36 in 2015.

It's not going to take more than 3 years. It's going to take 2 1/2 and, as I said, I don't think they'll try to say the language wasn't triggered, I think they'll say they tried and Delta said No (which is what they've already said at the round-table and have said in the crew room visits).

Last edited:
No AT pilots are going to DAL with the planes and any grievance filed will be a loser because of the words "best effort." "Well Mr. arbitrator we gave it our best effort but DAL said no to taking any pilots with the planes and furthermore nobody is losing their job so what's the big deal?" Case closed, "best effort" or even "commercial best effort" is not the same as the word "will," it's one of those feel-good words that makes one party feel like they negotiated something of value while giving the other party an escape clause. You have no chance with that grievance......zero, I would guess that SW probably did give it their best effort because they would be happier with zero longevity new hires from a cost standpoint.

The intent of that language is clearly to mitigate job losses and unless something changed job losses aren't going to happen. It would be great if some of the AT pilots had the option to go to DAL with seniority, seats and longevity but the DAL pilots (and DAL management for that matter) don't want any part of that. Go ahead and file, it never hurts to swing for the fences, but be prepared to be disappointed with the outcome, it's a loser from the word go.

"commercial best effort"
Can you define that? Maybe they already gave their best effort and came to an agreement already.

Arbi: Did you Mr Kelly give your best effort?
Mr Kelly: Yes
Arbi: Did you Mr Anderson give your best effort?
Mr Anderson: Yes
Arbi: AAI ALPO give it a rest already.

Last edited:
What if Delta takes the planes and parks them in the desert replacing them with -900s. Want to go with the planes then?

Lear 70.... You actually think its going to happen? Give me odds?

Latest resources

Back