• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Furloughs coming

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
the concessions will be voted down, no question.

The problem I see is if the NPA allows the company to to furlough even one pilot while keeping the training dept old guys. If this happens, I say recall them and get alpa on the property asap! That would be it for me.

Delta took huge paycuts. They make LESS now than they did in 2000. Since then, gas has gone from less than $1 a gallon to well over $4. I'm still trying to figure out how Delta "secured pay raises" like PCL 128 said.

Last edited:
Any idea how many downgrades and how far back? 180 guys....that sucks.

Joe is smoking crack if he thinks concessions are the way out of this mess. Hold your gound.

Well, so was DAL,CAL,NWA,Lcc and others.
They are going to furlough too. Is it somehow different at AirTran?

I suppose the question is did they suspect this was a likely outcome, and if so, did they discuss it in their interview process early this year?

(I confess . . . I was offered an interview, but my suspicions were it would be a very, very risky move this year . .. hence I declined)

Of all the carriers you list above, AirTran seems the most likely to be in a position to expect this, and one wonders how candid they were with their potential new hires.

DAL, CAL, and NWA probably truly believed that they were doing ok . . . and some here still argue DAL/NWA won't furlough (I don't know anything other than there are two camps on the subject).

Rough times, in any case.

I suppose the question is did they suspect this was a likely outcome, and if so, did they discuss it in their interview process early this year?

(I confess . . . I was offered an interview, but my suspicions were it would be a very, very risky move this year . .. hence I declined)

Of all the carriers you list above, AirTran seems the most likely to be in a position to expect this, and one wonders how candid they were with their potential new hires.

DAL, CAL, and NWA probably truly believed that they were doing ok . . . and some here still argue DAL/NWA won't furlough (I don't know anything other than there are two camps on the subject).

To answer your question they did not discuss this with newhires. I am one of them. I was hired early 08 and the plan then was about 150 more new hires this year and 8 or 9 more 737's. Oil was about $75 a barrel then. I don't think anybody really thought it would be where it is today. That is way above my pay grade though. I hope this "bubble" bursts soon and we can come back to work. But not at concessionary rates.

Oil is probably about the same price too for them....duh.

The point I was making was a response to the post that AirTran was somehow a terrible company for hiring pilots in 08 and not warning them about the possibility of furlough. Most airlines were hiring in early 08 and now most are going to furlough. Why would you single AT out as the only bad company. Contrail you are managements favorite type of employee, sharp as a bag of doughnuts.

Last edited:
Joe is smoking crack if he thinks concessions are the way out of this mess. Hold your gound.

Go back and re-read what I said....Concessions are not the "way out of this mess". The only way out of this mess is to get oil prices down...

The concessions will be used to extend the life of an airline with a terminal disease for a month or two in hopes that oil comes down. It is simply a way to preserve cash to last a little longer....If oil doesn't come down we ALL be out of work soon....

Because of the seniority system, at least 50% will probably reluctantly support trying to "extend the runway" a little longer in hopes that the oil bubble pops....

If you want carriers to stop taking concessions you need to start working on transportability of seniority/longevity....

NWA is going to park 100 DC 9,s yea there will be furloughs, lots of furloughs. Nothing will be announced until the merger is approved.

If you actually believe that statement you are clueless.

Latest resources

Back