• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Furloughs coming

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Top 10 reasons I will vote no for any wage reduction.

10. 30 minute van rides to hotels
9. Hotels that still have furniture from the 1970's.
8. Hotels with no food in them or around them
7. Every line has all four days
6. 4 hour sits in BWI, MCO, BOS, PHF
5. Fly a red eye, sit 2hours fly again.
4. Getting messed with on check rides
3. Freaked out gate agents
2. Kolsk's tactics
1. Eight years under the same contract.

Murphy.... Im not voting for a concession.. However, under the right conditions I may, simple as that. Right now the company isn't even close to the right conditions.... BTW.. If a truck driver told you he makes 100,000+ a year I call B.S. That just happens to be an industry I know a little something about. Lets just say my family may have one or two truck drivers in it that might own a couple trucking companys. He sure the he11 dosn't make it driving long haul, being an owner operator, or working for a construction company even if he is making prevailing wage. He MIGHT make that much working for a coal mine in WY driving a CAT 797 or 793. He could make that much working in Iraq, but otherwise, it ain't happening.... He might make that much working on the ice roads in Canada, but thats it..

Last edited:
I was jumpseating on SWA the other day and told the crew that AIRTRAN now had a lower ex-fuel CASM. The Captain's response, "Wouldn't want to trade paychecks with 'em."

Hate to say it, but I think Joe Merchant wins the bet by a landslide. Sorry 128, TY, Lear. You guys are right on, but I think that in the end the senior guys will sell the younger ones down the river. Saw it at NWA and I think it will happen here, too. Hope I'm wrong.

Joey, it's livable for me personally (barely), but I don't have kids or other obligations that many pilots here have. If a paycut were to take place, then it would no longer be livable even for me, however.

You flip floping more than Obama...First your job is the greatest thing since sliced bread....then it isn't livable....well then it is for you.....

PCL_128 said:
But don't worry, Joey, because you'll be the one buying the beer. This pilot group won't be voting for paycuts.

I hope so....doesn't do me any good if you guys take paycuts and I hope you don't....But you will....The seiniority system has a way of making that happen....

Top 10 reasons I will vote no for any wage reduction.

10. 30 minute van rides to hotels
9. Hotels that still have furniture from the 1970's.
8. Hotels with no food in them or around them
7. Every line has all four days
6. 4 hour sits in BWI, MCO, BOS, PHF
5. Fly a red eye, sit 2hours fly again.
4. Getting messed with on check rides
3. Freaked out gate agents
2. Kolsk's tactics
1. Eight years under the same contract.

Wait a minute...PCL_128 brags about the schedules...Which is it? Something doesn't add up...PCL_128....What say you about this list?

Wait a minute...PCL_128 brags about the schedules...Which is it? Something doesn't add up...PCL_128....What say you about this list?

Every line is filled with 4-days. However, your assertion about less days off because of the 12-hour duty day is incorrect. Those lines with 4-day trips have several more days off each month than your lines which have 14-hour duty days. Your love of greater than 12 hour duty days would not go over well here, Joey. We voted down a TA that extended it to just 13 hours.

gt1900,

While your self preservation motives are normal, they are not right. Airline management counts on people to sympathize with their cost cutting plans that almost always involve taking from the employees. In your mind you might think you're doing what's necessary to save your company. And it's OK to try and help your employer. But you really have to know when and how much. And given the current fuel prices, even if you gave them your whole paycheck, it would not be enough.

See the problem is not you. The problem is oil. They know it but they also know that there's always nervous employees that can be taken advantage off. And if the time is right (ie negotiations) they will do it because their success rate with a distressed group is much higher. In other words, they will ask for concessions because they can and not because they need them or make a difference.

Your hard earned money will end up in some country club or some Rolls Royce dealership. I guarantee it! Your concessions will be the equivalent of pissing in the ocean in the hopes of creating bigger waves. Which by all accounts is impossible. Therefore, a better use of your concessions is to make those retainment bonuses possible for your management. If you really can't sleep at night because your CEO is not getting his millions in bonuses, then by all means, go ahead and give them your concession. But I can assure you, it will not save your job or perhaps those of your colleagues.

Lastly, you cannot compare the concessions that DAL took versus the ones that your company is asking for. One, DAL was among the highest paid at the time of that event. Two, they did not voluntarily give them away, they were forced by a judge to some degree. Three, your group can't really afford them. It's already one of the lowest paid airlines out there. What more do you want to give?!!

Hey Joe, you seem to think that the senior pilots will sell out the "Friendly New Guys", and that is total B.S. I am in the top 30% of the list, and I have talked to several co workers, who are senior to me, and they too, would vote NO to this crappy proposition in a heartbeat. There is no way in hell I would vote for a pay cut. NEVER!!!!

I agree. Everything I've heard from most of the senior guys goes completely against the idea of concessions. Many of them were ok with the last TA, but actually taking paycuts is a different story.

Latest resources

Back