• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First things first. If anything is going to happen on this, it won't happen until next year after the elections are over, so let's get guys elected that are at least open to the idea. That's the top priority right now.

To answer a couple of questions:

1. ALPA's founder and first President was Dave Behnke, and he was a UAL pilot. However, NWA had the first council. The NWA MSP council is still Council 1. Other early airlines were PanAm, EAL, AAL, etc... Pretty much all of the major airlines were ALPA prior to American's split in the '60s.

2. Yes, the SCABs would most likely be allowed membership if a merger took place. We were working on the Capital Cargo merger when I was working at ALPA National, and that was a condition we agreed to when the merger agreement was drawn up. The same was famously agreed to during the IACP/ALPA merger (CAL). I know it bugs some people, but it must be done to facilitate these organizing efforts.

Concerning ALPA

If it's something you want, make sure the people you elect this Fall are proponents of ALPA or, at least, are open to doing the will of the majority of the membership. Have ALPA come do roadshows about what they have to offer, then poll the pilot group. If the majority shows they want ALPA, put it out for vote. If not, no harm, no foul, keep the status quo.

Not rocket science...

Not trying to infer that I don't have faith in MB or the BoD, simply that I think that, given the experience level of Kolski, et al. and their focus on concessions at all costs, that we need the resources that ALPA brings to the table.

I'd prefer the personal legal protections ALPA would bring as well,,, but that's for personal reasons.

I think if we start the things Lear mentioned in motion - electing folks who are open to ALPA, bring ALPA in for roadshows, etc. This is one way to show the company we mean business and are taking steps toward self help.

I am also interested in the added protections from legal and insurance. Personally, I have signed up for AOPA legal - I don't feel like I would get adequate assistance from the NPA if my certificate were threatened.

:

2. Yes, the SCABs would most likely be allowed membership if a merger took place. We were working on the Capital Cargo merger when I was working at ALPA National, and that was a condition we agreed to when the merger agreement was drawn up. The same was famously agreed to during the IACP/ALPA merger (CAL). I know it bugs some people, but it must be done to facilitate these organizing efforts.[/quote]

Scabs are not always allowed back in. At the end of the Southern Airways strike, which was won by ALPA after the Democrats got back in power in 1962, the settlement included allowing the scabs to remain, at the bottom of the seniority list, and they had to pay the agency shop fees but got no union benefits. Of course they also did not pay assessments. When we, (North Central) merged with Southern we had to keep them but their status was unchanged. F/O's told me that the scabs were a pain to fly with because they were so terrified of getting a violation of any kind since they had no protection.

DC

When Midex brought in ALPA it was up to the midex pilots to vote them in, which they did. I don't think the scabs would get that sympathy at AirTran.

Scabs are not always allowed back in. At the end of the Southern Airways strike, which was won by ALPA after the Democrats got back in power in 1962, the settlement included allowing the scabs to remain, at the bottom of the seniority list, and they had to pay the agency shop fees but got no union benefits. Of course they also did not pay assessments. When we, (North Central) merged with Southern we had to keep them but their status was unchanged. F/O's told me that the scabs were a pain to fly with because they were so terrified of getting a violation of any kind since they had no protection.

DC

Southern Airways? Man, you're going waaaay back. :) Attitudes have changed about this over the years. Trying to exclude the SCABs adds another wrench to the works when you're trying to organize a group that includes them. If you make it clear from the beginning that they'll be allowed in, then it makes the effort go smoother.

I don't think the scabs would get that sympathy at AirTran.

I certainly have no sympathy, but I would have no problem allowing them in if it facilitates an NPA/ALPA merger. Gotta prioritize.

When Midex brought in ALPA it was up to the midex pilots to vote them in, which they did. I don't think the scabs would get that sympathy at AirTran.

AirTran would just rehire them as instructors or chief pilots.

The time for ALPA was 2 years ago.

Alpa would also be advantagous for the strike we are most probably going to have to do, to get mngmt to take us seriously. I know when I was at TWA we were assessed money for the Comair guys on strike and I was happy to do it, it may only provide you a little over a thousand a month but that is enough to get you through the strike.
As a side note all you Airtran pilots need to start saving because it is not if but when we are going to strike, just a feeling I have about this mgnmt team, I think strike is the only language they know that means we are seroius.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back