• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran BOD pulls TA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I also want to wish you guys good luck, pulling a TA before a vote is no easy task, someone is paying attention to the pilot group.
Yes, they are, although it was hard to ignore. At the "info sessions" and "road shows", it was obvious how many people were angry about it. They had maybe 1 person out of every 10 who was even "neutral", and certainly only a handful of the entire pilot group that were happy about it.

Every conference call was full of militant, angry pilots and the NPA was always on the defensive, using the word "concession" and "industry standard" together a LOT.

I personally believe it a disservice to the pilot group to pull something that was obviously going to bomb so dramatically. A large "NO" vote would have been hailed as a "WIN" by the pilot group, and would have been usable as a large bargaining chip when we return to the table. The company likely realizes that, doesn't want us to have that kind of leverage, and agreed to go back to the NMB.

Unfortunately, it's obvious from people who go to the road show that AP and the NC *still* think this is a good deal. :rolleyes: Just can't trust them to go back up and get us something worth having if they believe in something that the VAST majority of the pilot group thinks is such a loser.

It'll be a very short transition period, likely bringing back NPA members who have been heavily involved in the NPA or other union leadership positions previously, getting a new opener together, and going back to the table with the backing of a determined pilot group and an aggressive NC.

I still say this has been the single best thing to unify the pilot group that could have happened, although I no longer believe the NPA engineered it. It got people thinking about what they really wanted, how profitable the company has been and is projected to be, and how little they really are interested in giving up. You can't buy that level of engagement in your membership.

Just out of curiosity, where were all the "recall" guys during the last election? While that election was a big turn-out in relation to the previous ones, only 700 of the eligible pilots voted (about 60%). And only two guys ran for President. With an apathetic showing like that its no wonder the company's opinion of the union is so low. They thought they could steam-roll the pilot group and now know they cannot.

However, I am of the opinion that we need to give AP a chance for redemption. He is doing the right thing in pulling the TA. He stated publicly (in the conference call last night) that if he does not get overwhelming support in a “yes” vote he will have failed the pilots with this new TA. And I take him at his word on that. While I have no faith in SH or the entire NC, I think we should see what AP is willing to do, and how hard he is willing to fight.

When the last election took place I was an advocate that no matter who you voted for, you had to vote. Unfortunately, many chose to let a few decide the fate of us all. And the result is what we have today. Now, you guys are trying to change captains in the middle of voyage. Yes, there are many qualified folks out there who could do the job better, but they were not willing to step up to the plate a few months ago, and now they want to be the “white knight”? No thanks. Had we had more participation, and more candidates, then I could support a recall of AP. However, considering what actually took place, we made our bed and now we have to lie in it (so to speak).

From where I sit the recall guys want to throw the union in chaos; then try to re-negotiate a TA and possible merger. What happens if the new guys don’t do it right? Do we recall them and start over a third time?

We, the pilots, bear some responsibility in all of this. We elected AP and the rest of the BoD. IMHO we should give AP the support he needs, let him do the job he was elected to do, then decide on the recall if he remains out of touch.

Sorry for the rant. Cheers.

I just faxed the recall petition to the NPA.

A time for change is definitely at hand!

No, the rant is cool... deliberating ideas is part of what this message board was originally intended for.

I thought like you did until Allen and the BOD pulled this without stating their new goals in going back to mediation. Sorry, but I just know better than to trust someone who has brought me something so woefully inadequate once... part of that "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice..." kind of thinking.

I even told him that and have it direct from the source that other senior CA's told him the same thing. "If you're going to let it go to vote, pull the "recommend" and let it die HARD. If you're going to pull it, pull it NOW, tell the membership WHY you're pulling it and EXACTLY what you're going to change and that you will accept nothing less."

If he had done that, I wouldn't support the recall. He hasn't. Therefore I feel I have no choice, not knowing that they'll go to bat to reverse all those concessionary things I posted on the last page.

As to why no one else ran? I don't know,,, although I remember posting that if there was ANY other candidate who was interested to PLEASE let me know, as I didn't like what AP was doing even THEN. I bet you there's more than a 60% turnout at THIS election/recall/election. Hopefully the NMB sessions won't move very quickly and we'll be able to get this done before another "tweaked" T.A. comes out.

AP has until the day of voting to change his tune to what the Membership wants. If he does, I predict he'll stay in office; if he doesn't, I predict he's gone.

Last edited:
If AP sends SH back, then he needs to be recalled. It must be clear that there is no support for SH. AP has been asked over and over to replace SH, but refuses to. This is one big reason he has had liitle support. I can not suport a NC I do not belive in. When SH is repalaced then I will put bag tags and stickers on my bags.

I wanted this thing to go down hard. And now I'm not going to get the satisfaction to vote no. They knew this thing was a POS when they brought it to us, and had the b$#lls to try and tell us it was a good deal. How do they keep a straight face? All of that time I spent on the phone with Wilson polling(and all of the other participants) appears to have been a complete waste of time! "we need to sign off on this TA so we can go forward with the merger" AP. NO WE DON'T! We need to get a contract that is fair to the pilot group and has very tight scope and merger protection. 4.5 hour average day, ac movement, core value credit(nice buzz word) mdo reserve lines, proposed scope language,etc. are all deal breakers for me.

No, the rant is cool... deliberating ideas is part of what this message board was originally intended for.

I thought like you did until Allen and the BOD pulled this without stating their new goals in going back to mediation. Sorry, but I just know better than to trust someone who has brought me something so woefully inadequate once... part of that "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice..." kind of thinking.

I even told him that and have it direct from the source that other senior CA's told him the same thing. "If you're going to let it go to vote, pull the "recommend" and let it die HARD. If you're going to pull it, pull it NOW, tell the membership WHY you're pulling it and EXACTLY what you're going to change and that you will accept nothing less."

Good points. But let me ask you this. By the same logic should we not have a candidate(s) in mind, who will "tell the membership WHY their pulling it (the TA) and EXACTLY what (the will do) to change and (if they) will accept nothing less" PRIOR to recalling AP and the BoD?

If we don't have a savior on deck, then what exactly will we get in return for yanking these guys out?

Good points. But let me ask you this. By the same logic should we not have a candidate(s) in mind, who will "tell the membership WHY their pulling it (the TA) and EXACTLY what (the will do) to change and (if they) will accept nothing less" PRIOR to recalling AP and the BoD?

If we don't have a savior on deck, then what exactly will we get in return for yanking these guys out?
Well, first, we're not removing the entire BoD. We're removing AP and the Negotiating Committee ONLY. It's not good to have a headless NPA and there will be enough experience left to run the daily operations while the new head and the NC spool up.

Secondly, you're exactly right. I was mentioning that the other day when people were starting to clamor more loudly for recall, saying "Who is going to take his place?"

Several people have said BD, several people have said one of the other BoD members (although I fail to see how that's a good plan when they still unanimously support this lovely document for download), I honestly don't know what the answer is, and I've been asking that very question on the underground site and so far it's crickets...

I do, however, know that there is ZERO trust, and therefore zero support for AP and the NC, and we can't go on fighting with no trust or support from the pilot group. The only way to fix that is to replace them with someone the pilots can trust again.

When I heard that the BOD pulled the TA I couldn't help but feel sorry for RM. He was so excited! about this TA. He must be very sad today.

Filling out my petition now. Should I send it in right away for maximum effect or go to work and get more signatures? Also, make 2 copies and send one to Craig and fax one to npa and mail or just fax only?

Thanks.

It's good to finally see a pilot group stand up and stay FU..K OFF to a POS contract offer from mgmt. To bad those frontier losers didn't do the same and continue to try and lower the bar. Good for you airtran guys/gals!!! Keep up the fight

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back