• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Alaska merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WOW! An F..A..A approved departure where we turn left right after takeoff and then turn right and fly back over the runway! That must take weeks to learn in the sim! Do they let the FOs fly that departure?

Actually, we don't do the Lemon Creek departure anymore. I think someone got rolled pretty good by turbulence and almost got a very close look at some granite. Not easy or for the weak of heart.

Yes, they make money yet still furlough pilots, go figure. They have a monopoly on some routes in Alaska and Seattle, tell me how they are doing in LAX. If Delta or Southwest wanted to make their lives miserable they could in a heartbeat. Delta could drop the code share and spool up the NWA operations in SEA and ANC. They have already started to ramp up their operations on the west coast. Look what happened with Midwest when they didn't adapt to the changes in the playing field. Heck, Mesa could set up shop in ANC like they did in Hawaii, it didn't take them long to run Aloha out of business. Alaska Air can keep plodding along the same course and keep making hay while the sun is shinning but the winters up north in the future will keep getting longer and darker. In my opinion they will have to merge with someone.

Mr. Kharma Police, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Mr. Kharma Police, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Wow, I didn't know you could "hear me" over the internet. Too bad you didn't hear what I just called you........

Last edited:
So, in this discussion of a merger, explain to me exactly WHAT relevance, if any, the above diatribe has towards whether any worthwhile "synergies" would exist? That *WAS* the original thread topic, incidentally...

Obviously the route structures would compliment (East/West) and, again, the flying is flying is flying. The end. Period. I have faith in my brethren at AirTran that they could cross-train to AL ops and ETOPS without issue, so that is a COMPLETE non-issue for the merits of this discussion.

Just trying to get this thread back on track from where it jumped the shark so explain to me, how exactly, the differences in flying have ANYTHING to do with the financial reasons a merger might or might not happen, because that's the ONLY reason this would, or wouldn't, come to fruition...

Don't ask me. You were the one who said Alaska flying isn't much more difficult then the flying we do at AAI. I just told you that you were full of it and had no idea what you were talking about. Same thing with comparing AAI's international ops with ALA's. ALA has a lot more internationl flying with over 3X's as many internatioanl destinations as AAI.

Like I said before. ALA's business plan wouldn't work with AAI's flying. AAI makes money simply because they are CHEAP, in very competitive markets. Alaska makes money with EAS, Cargo, and by having a very good customer base that loves them (even though there has been major changes in the last 5-10 years). Alaska has made it very hard for other airlines to come in and compete on the west coast. Its easier for DAL and AMR to use them as a code share partners, rather then to compete with them. Trust me, Id love to see the merger happen more then anything, but I also know how unlikely it is. ALA would be the purchaser, and there business plan wouldn't work on AAI routes.

Don't ask me. You were the one who said Alaska flying isn't much more difficult then the flying we do at AAI. I just told you that you were full of it and had no idea what you were talking about. Same thing with comparing AAI's international ops with ALA's. ALA has a lot more internationl flying with over 3X's as many internatioanl destinations as AAI.
It was in response to Z-Pilot's statement in post #4 in case you missed it.

And anyone that thinks the TYPE of flying and whether it's more challenging or not makes a D*MN bit of difference when two carriers decide to integrate needs to take a reasonable suspicion test or is so far out of touch with aviation reality as to need their head checked by a licensed professional...

Latest resources

Back