Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Kharma Police

Don't mess with Texas
Lots of good "synergies". We only have one route that overlaps (ATL-SEA). They are on the west coast, we are on the east coast. Similar fleet types, roughly the same number of pilots. Very different business models and management styles. Any thoughts from all the players and haters on FI?

Our unions are meeting this week or next for discussions per the Airtran president. But then again we have been meeting with a lot of unions to discuss possible mergers and put a game plan in place for anything that may pop up in the future.

It's all about the feed... I see Delta as a better fit than AirTran. Delta could use the West Coast feed for Asian services and Alaska's fleet fits perfectly with Delta's 737NG fleet. Pure speculation on my part...

I highly doubt Alaska would compromise its unique code-share arrangements...particularly with Delta. Additionally, Airtran has no experience with cargo (Combi and Cargo aircraft in Alaska), etops, challenging Alaska flying, or international operations. I don't really see any synergies.

Last edited:
Additionally, Airtran has no experience with cargo (Combi and Cargo aircraft in Alaska), etops, challenging Alaska flying, or international operations.
Not that I think it will happen, but the Alaska flying isn't all that more challenging than any other mountainous terrain flying, just a different method of flying the approach.

Additionally, AirTran has more international ops than Alaska does, but I digress... ;)

But as I said, I don't see AL getting into bed with ANYONE... they don't have to, they have a good product, good profit margins, and no reason to really bother.

As far as LH going to talk to the AL MEC Chair, my information is that we're simply opening the lines of communication with *everyone* that's a *POTENTIAL* player, as we've also talked to the SWA MEC Chair and other MEC's. Believe it when we're all wearing the same uniform...

I highly doubt Alaska would compromise its unique code-share arrangements...particularly with Delta. Additionally, Airtran has no experience with cargo (Combi and Cargo aircraft in Alaska), etops, challenging Alaska flying, or international operations. I don't really see any synergies.

Airtran does international flying and Airtran is bigger than Alaska.
Challenging Alaska flying, Combi ops, and the international flying (Mexico & Canada is hardly international) does not make Alaska exempt from a buyout/merger...even RJET could make a bid for you guys...

By international you mean Mexico and Canada? Last time I checked a cargo or transformer Guppy is the same as a pax 73. Don't worry homie, you can keep the Alaska flying, I will keep the hot sticky thunderstorms in the dirty south. However, if a "big bang" merger chain reaction starts, Alaska, in my opinion would be the most logical choice.

Last edited:
Can't imagine alaska being the buyer. They don't even want their own 700's. Kind of hard to imagine them wanting a company that is all 700 and 717's. Plus don't see the synergies. And if airtran made a move to buy alaska can't imagine delta not stepping in. Only people I ever hear this rumor from is airtran pilots. And how they would want relative seniority.

Additionally, AirTran has more international ops than Alaska does, but I digress... ;)

Wait. This may have come across wrong. Are you saying AAI has more internation flying then ALA? Because they don't! Just checking, because you made it seem like they did. Do you remember the amount of Russia flying that ALA used to do?

BTW.. Have you even flown in the mountains, or in Alaska? Im guessing you have absolutely zero real mountain flying experience with your last comment! The approaches are the easy part!!! With the exception of Key West, AAI has very, very little flying that even comes close to the complexity of the flying they do at ALA. There is a large group of our pilots that are afraid to fly in the snow, let alone a good storm coming off the coast with winds gusting to 40 or 50 knots. The flying at AAI and the flying in Alaska can't even be compared. Our flying is a joke compared to their South East flying and the flying they do. Heck, our guys were complaining about landing a 737 at Key west, yet ALA used to fly 73's into 3900ft long Dutch Harbor! In case you think our flying is even close to theirs, heres a little video for you! Now imagine a V1 cut!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o46rxK8Lpw&feature=related

The only thing AAI and ALA have in commen are route structures, A/C types, and similar size companies. AAI's business plan wouldn't work at ALA and ALA's business plan wouldn't work at AAI. ALA couldn't make thier business plan work at AAI, and ALA isn't going to accept AAI's business plan on the west coast. As much as Id like to see it work, chances are pretty slim that it would.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back