• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airman closed until further notice..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Seriously, they have your money, get your flight time. You're a student there and have money in an account, it would be hard for them to proove theft.

Talk to AOPA, if you don't like what you hear, contact a different attorney. I wouldn't pay that money back to key bank under any circumstances if you didn't even apply for it.

viper548 said:
I wouldn't pay that money back to key bank under any circumstances if you didn't even apply for it.

That's what's getting me. I don't care if I never see Double-Talk-Brenda or an Airman plane again...I just don't want to have to pay 20 grand that I never wanted in the first place. I've got $9,140 in an account so I can pay it back when the time comes (have to start paying in April 06), but the other 10 is somewhere paying for Airman's insurance...not good.

...and yes, this is all another reason (besides the way they treat you when you are a student/customer) that I never recommend AFS on here.

-mini

Eye-witness update

I went up to Airman around 8:45 tonight. Will, Dale, and pretty much all the instructors were there cleaning out the place. A little over a week ago, I told them I wanted my money back ($30K Key loan) less what it was going to take me to finish my Instrument. Incidentally, I am days away from my IR checkride, so this is really aggravating. Anyway, they deducted a $4,400 "cancellation fee" and told me to come back later to talk to Sheila, who apparently is resposible for writing the checks.

According to the conversation I had this evening with my instructor, they dropped the bomb around 5pm yesterday (Labor Day), so some folks didn't find out till today (and I'd imagine a fair amount of students are still in the dark). Their sign on the door reads something to the effect of:

"Airman Flight School is temporairly [sic] closed until further notice. We will be contact all students shortly. Please call Brenda at (405) 329-1008 or (whatever their email is) with any questions."

I've heard word of them moving to an adjacent building on the premises, but this seems like the best case scenario at the moment, and I am not holding my breath. If anyone is interested, I also picked up the name and number of Airman's attorney, David Batton @ (405) 360-1435. I'm not sure what legal options are available to me, but I'll explore that more depending on how willing they are to cut me the refund check they promised me. This certainly seems like something the guys at AOPA live for, so at the very least I agree with whoever made the comment about contacting them.

More updates to come.

MFR

Best of luck to all of you guys, this has happened before to other flight schools, and the students never walked out with a happy face.

Sorry to say it, but I can't imagine why a flight school would close their doors if they plan on moving next door. They still have aircraft insurance to pay for and leases/payments if they don't own the aircraft outright

Contact Avweb.com if you havent already.

viper548 said:
Sorry to say it, but I can't imagine why a flight school would close their doors if they plan on moving next door. They still have aircraft insurance to pay for and leases/payments if they don't own the aircraft outright

From what I've been told, they own about four of the planes outright. I don't really expect this noise about 'packing up and moving next door' to be too far removed from the double-talk the students have already been receiving from administration. My feelings are obviously running quite deep and bitter about this right now.

"What's that, guys? Can't make good on that refund check? Well, give me the papers to that 172 over yonder, and maybe we'll call it even."

MFR

Actually, the next door move is plausible. From what I understand, O'Neill owns or at least has control of all the office space in the front of their hangar. And it's empty except for Benny Blalock's (I probably spelled it wrong) office AFAIK. Now, it is nowhere near the square footage that Airman has which will be an issue. But maybe they will have a temp building placed or something as well.

It's plausible, but I am betting if they are back it will be on a smaller scale. That might work since a lot of students will probably leave anyway. I can call someone later to see if they have better words.

Having known Dale since around 98 or so, if he's the one who told you there would be a cancellation fee, he at least has the intention and expectation of continuing operations. I do not think anyone up there would willfully take someone's money if they had any choice in the matter. I hope they haven't spent faster than they brought in and that the operation as whole, considering assets, etc. isn't in the red.

** All of the above pure speculation on my part **

Latest resources

Back