Airlines where Pilots Clean the Cabin

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yank McCobb said:
That's about the weakest, lame-a$$ post yet in your long string of weak, lame-a$$ posts.:rolleyes:

An 18k 73 CA, who joined March '05 with 33 posts to his credit. And who's the LAME one?:confused:

Aye, cleaning cabins and crossing them seat-belts.

Jet Blue never hired my arse back in July 2000 when I interviewed over there in New York.

One of the questions was:

Okay, tell us whay you have done in the past to ensure an on-time departure...?

(They were looking for stuff like: Yes, I sure went back in the cabin and cleaned the place, then smiled to the pax as they boarded, then flew back to base with a smile on my face...)

At the time I was a Tower Air captain and dealt with old airplanes and messed up operations...Told the JB interviewer that I once authorized the F/As extra $ to clean the cabin so as to get off the blocks on time.

I never got a job offer from JB after the interview.
Called their HR people and asked why not?

They said I gave the wrong answer...I should have been in the back of the cabin cleaning stuff and crossing seat belts myself.

Them HR folks obviously have no clue about the workload being dished out to the cockpit crew of an old broken airplane.
(Just hanging on in survival mode we were..)
We were too busy sorting out legalities and paperwork,. to even think of strapping on blue gloves and go in the back bagging diapers and newspapers, even if that would have created a warm and fuzzy with the stews and the agents.

It may be a different deal on the A-320 Autobus: Them guys have the time and the motivation to go back there and clean....So be it, I would do the same if in the same boat: If it is part of the deal, and part of the expansion, et al, why not?

GE CF34-3B1 said:
Just rode on Jetblue and when I got off, I noticed that the pilot's were putting on blue latex gloves and cleaning the cabin. I find that pretty degrading. I appreciate the ride, but I still find that a big disgrace to the whole piloting industry.

What's up with this new trend of pilot's becoming cabin cleaners? I work for a shi.ty regional airline, and I don't even have to do that. I know Airtran does NOT do this, because my friend works there and I asked him. And I'm pretty sure that SWA does not do this either. Can some SWA pilots confirm this for me.

If there are any other airlines out there that require cabin cleaning from the pilots, can you please post them. THANKS!!

JetBlue doesn't put the pilots ahead of anyone else, and rightly so. Yes, our industry has changed, ad so has our profession. My advice is that you should not bother applying at JB if you have a problem with that.

Everybody is trying to be on the same team there. What a concept.

After fostering a little teamwork by helping with cleanup on a quick turn, I also grab any J/S'rs bag out of their hand and stow it in the cockpit. I offer them a headset and a bottle of water to take to their seat. The classy J/Ser will, upon arrival, straighten up their row and thank the entire crew for their graciousness. The non-classy J/Ser will slink off the airplane and flame the Crew and Airline on Flight Info.com

TheRaven said:
Why not help clean the cabin...do you hire a maid at home to clean up after you? It's a shame that you feel its beneath you. I help clean quite a bit.....I fold belts, re-arrange magazines and briefing cards in the pockets, and gather trash. Any Dirt washes off when you are done. I've also helped load and unload bags, shoveled snow on the ramp, and cleaned my own windshields all while wearing a pilot uniform at work. Lead by example.

This is the kind of job I'd LOVE to have. I'm not being sarcastic, either. When I smashed bags for AA, I loved it when an FO even talked to us, much less helped throw bags. I remember one guy (sorry, I wish I knew your name) helped us load mail during an OSO at DFW. Class Act! But, I bet he was new. I also remember an awesome CSM who wanted to help during OSO but was called out by Union management. This is the kind of BS that we deal with in the aviation biz.

P.S. F you all who are ready to bitch about "mgmnt stealing jobs and stuff." Double "F YOU" you are pissed about the AA FO who was trying to help.

Dogwood said:
JetBlue doesn't put the pilots ahead of anyone else, and rightly so. Yes, our industry has changed, ad so has our profession. My advice is that you should not bother applying at JB if you have a problem with that.

Everybody is trying to be on the same team there. What a concept.

Just remeber that line when you want to get more pay then the FA's/Rampers/Gate Agents or Bag throwers...your all worth the same at JB. How dare you Pilots who are all equal in skill and training dare ask to be paid more than your fellow team members.

Are the rest of the "team" getting paid less to dispatch/maintain/schedule or serve Coke's on the E-190? I'll bet not.....

i think there is a direct correlation to jetblue bashers....and low flight time...these poor souls are competing with 10,000 applications and it must be frustrating to realize an interview is another 4000 hours away!

bash away and vent if it makes you feel better! LOL

At my current airline, we were actually told during indoc not to help the rampers, caterers, or cleaning people else because of liability/workers comp issues!

Fine by me I guess, just don't call me lazy. Jetblue should probably hire an extra cleaning person or two if they really need the pilots to clean the cabin in order to get the aircraft out on time. I know, I know, cost cutting, competition, blah blah blah, but that's JMHO. Besides, how much spare time is there to spend in the cabin on a 20 minute turn?

Yank McCobb said:
That's about the weakest, lame-a$$ post yet in your long string of weak, lame-a$$ posts.:rolleyes:

You tell em sister!

You guys have this all wrong!

In the original post he never said if the F/A was hot!! I mean when I was on that side of the business (121). If the flight attendant was hot (come to think of it breathing and willing) I was all up in there with my rubber gloves!!! They like to see you being domestic!!! Give a little get a little. That way she wouldn't slap me so hard when I showed in front of her door with the trenchcoat.

Seriously you are a crew. I'm not saying you should do that crap all the time, but if the occassio calls for it we do what we need to do that's CREW!!! Especially if you get bonuses for on time performance!!!

my .02 cents your milage may vary

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back