Airlines where Pilots Clean the Cabin

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
hellas,

We have a company with a culture that stresses values (we seem to get tangled up with the integrity value though), a FEW sometimes overly eager crewmembers, a whole lot of internal communication, very little communication externally, and this bizarre interpretation of seniority that says because I got here three years before you did I'm an old timer. These combine SOMETIMES to create situations in which people can be made to feel excluded, or not clued in, or worried that they may have violated some code. Especially when you hear the familiar refrain, "how did they make it onto this property?" Like there was a failure in the machine that molds jetBlue employees.

People are told to speak up and yet when I ask someone whether they have spoken to the leadership about a specific problem they look at me like, "are you crazy? I'm not jumping into that." I know countless pilots, including myself, who've spoken up very patiently and very cogently only to encounter impatience, irritation, or worse, befuddlement. The befuddlement is where you begin to lose a little confidence. Eventually, if you haven't been assigned to yet another committee or another off-site, you get one line answers and you obtain a label for yourself.

We have an administration that bends over backwards to get out and talk and conduct meetings but a pilot group that has learned that even though they ask for "hard balls", it really just pisses them off. So we have a lot of one way communication. Don't get me wrong, there are many pilots involved in the running of this company (I think sometimes too many) but I've found that we also have a lot of group speak. Disagreement is viewed by SOME as subversion. I know this is very much the same at other airlines but I've never seen it to such a degree within the pilot group itself. Some would say this is a good thing and I would agree. It just needs to be balanced with reality. There is nothing wrong with being pro-company and being eager to help. There is something wrong with looking around and making mental lists and labels and I have big problems with just laying our careers at the feet of the bean counters with undying faith that we will be compensated. Shareholders and finance majors do not necessarily subscribe to values at the same level of faith that we do.

This part is comedy so please take it as such: we joke that when someone comes back from an off-site or gets a committee assignment that they've been subjected to the JetBlue mind trick. This is where the concepts of RASM over CASM become the gospel and where pilots are made to feel greedy about their desires for insurance or cost of living increases. JOKE !!

Friends at JetBlue: We can handle this kind of critisism. If we can't look at ourselves and be real then we are in for a rude awakening.

All of this said hellas,
I wouldn't choose to work anywhere else. Figure that one out.

Realistic

Last edited:
Most people help out when they can. I think the issue is that its company policy for the pilots to help clean the AC and its not by choice. I help out when I can but it does not state in my contract that I have to clean the AC.

I am not an airline pilot, but I can actually see the poster's point. Why stop with demanding the pilots clean the cabin? The pilots can also do the lav service, ticket sales, refuel. I mean you are getting paid the big bucks ( sarcasm intended) to just fly the plane, and the pay is getting higher and higher, so why not help out the other workers do thier jobs.

What would a F/A say if you asked a F/A for help doing your job. " Hey Trish, if your done with the coffee and soda, come up here and enter the new route clearance in the FMS. Or " Hey Trish, I have to clean the cabin, get the flight release and weather at our destination.

And since when is bring coffee to the flight deck part of the flight attendant duties? It isn't at our airline, it's a courtesy that they offer to the flight crew so why can't I offer them the same courtesy and help them out? Am I so high and mighty because I'm wearing a prissy-looking white shirt with stripes on it that I can't help out? Give me a fricking break, why are we making such a big deal about this? We are part of a crew, lets fricking act like it.

How about working more days a month? Or maybe more hours a day? (oops...I think you guys allready tried that one) in order to support "your" company? Maybe a paycut? Or a shorter vacation? Anything to beat the competition and keep the customer happy.......with an attitude like that, airline captains will be working 25 days a year, clean cabins, drive the honey cart, load bags AND check in passengers 25 years from now.

flyifrvfr said:
I am not an airline pilot, but I can actually see the poster's point. Why stop with demanding the pilots clean the cabin?

No offense dude....but I don't think you have a dog in this fight.

Looking at this from a customer standpoint, it is easy to see why some airlines (SWA, AirTran, and JB) are successful and some are falling by the wayside (DAL, AA, USAir, and Untied). The successful airlines have employees with a much better attitude toward customer service.

In corporate flying I load bags, if we don't have an FA on the flight I will clean the cabin, make coffee, stock the catering, etc.... I want my customers (the company executives) to have a great experience on my flights. It all affects my performance review; which has a direct impact on my raise, bonus, promotion, and stock options.

I think it is absolutely hilarious that some posters here find it above them to take two seatbelt straps and make an X out of them. Or how they are afraid to pull a newspaper from a seatback and put it in a bag. You are bigger queens than some of your cabin crew.

If you are worried about a workers compensation issue for lifting a 30 pound carry-on bag and tossing it down the jetway (or lifting a newspaper, my gosh), then it might be time to get set up with a fitness program. Do you need a caddy to carry your rollaboard for you on your trips?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back