• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Airline types need not apply"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The ProLine21 I have in my Citation is more advanced than the avionics in many, if not most, current-production airliners. The Bombardier C-Series is coming out with ProLine Fusion which will likely be the most advanced airliner avionics out there but it won't hit the market until the avionics will have been already in production for a couple years in the Embraer Legacy 450/500, Lear 85, new Globals, etc.

Most corporate flight departments don't utilize RNP because only because at least one INS is required for RNP and almost nothing smaller than a super-midsize jet has INS. While doing RF curved approaches via RNP would be nice (especially around terrain), WAAS LPV gets me lower than RNP minimums 95% of the time anyway. Maybe someday Garmin or Collins will come out with an affordable INS, or the FAA will recognize that INS isn't absolutely necessary for safe reduced navigation tolerances in modern, advanced avionics systems.

In this same vein, most corporate aircraft don't have ACARS like airliners do but an increasing number of midsize-and-up do have AFIS...but with XM business aircraft pilots have more real-time weather information at their fingertips than I never had with an ACARS unit.

ASAP? Doesn't really fit with 91 ops but SMS is working towards no-fault reporting along the same lines of a 121 ASAP program....without the all-to-often result of management/labor strife holding safety hostage.

Again...the segments are different; these comparisons can be made until the cows come home but they really don't mean anything...

The ProLine21 I have in my Citation is more advanced than the avionics in many, if not most, current-production airliners. The Bombardier C-Series is coming out with ProLine Fusion which will likely be the most advanced airliner avionics out there but it won't hit the market until the avionics will have been already in production for a couple years in the Embraer Legacy 450/500, Lear 85, new Globals, etc.

The avionics in the newer airliners is very good but airlines just don't change out aircraft like corporate departments do. It's rare for a fleet to be retired with less than 20 years on its youngest aircraft. Some of AA's MD80's are 25 years old and they still work.

The AA 757/767 fleet is getting flat panel displays. They aren't what I would have chosen (having used Planeview) but they work. Between the Pegasus FMC's and flat panel, they are as 'high functioning' as the avionics in the GV.

No, we don't have EVS but until I see a much improved version than I used on the G550, I don't miss it.

The 717, 737NG (also with a HUD) and 777 all have advanced displays--perhaps not state of the art but they'll keep working for 30 years flying 8 hours a day.

But we're back to the airline getting things as cheaply as they can vs. a 91 department having somewhat limited choices when a manufacturer offers an avionics suite.

TC

Hey BoilerUP

I was actually referring to NRP not RNP. RNP actually does apply to GPS aircraft, but RAIM took care of that. NRP is more of a routing tool so that you don't get vectors all over the place for traffic.

Hi folks... Sorry, didn't mean for this thread to degenerate into what it's become. My questions were sincere and meant no disrespect. I GREATLY respect the kind of flying you guys do compared to ours, along with all the extra work that we would consider "someone else's job." I guess we can define this thread as "good natured ribbing." ;) Happy holidays to all... yep, another airline "perk", I will be blazing a contrail between IAD and SJU the morning of 12/25 while you all are opening presents with your families.

Are there many corporate flight departments that offer schedules?

Sure...though all the ones I'm personally aware of are larger operations with enough pilots to actually staff a "schedule" without having to rob days off on a regular basis to cover flying.

Are there many corporate flight departments that offer schedules?

The better ones sure do. At least some kind of schedule.

We have 3 pilots, and now have our schedule through August 2011. Luckily it does not change much. We all pick when we want off. For example, one has a home in Florida - he like winters slower as to spend a week or 2 at a time there...I'd rather work more in the winter and have late summer/fall vacations...etc etc. We are not "on call" but are expected to be avail to fly during business hours within a reasonable amount of time (3-4hrs?) If someone wants to be away or unavail - no problem just let the others know so they aren't the same. QOL remains good and everyone stays happy, nobody leaves. Imagine that. Most one airplane, 3 pilot outfits I know of seem to work the same.

Theres a HUGE difference between 2 and 3 pilots when it comes to very small departments. The "use a contractor" thing does not ever work IMO either. No owner like to spend $1000+ a day so YOU can have a day off. God forbid.

Two pilots can really lower QOL for obvious reasons. You start hearing crap like "cant you take your vacation during MX events"...yeah sure, my families life revolves around that! Nothing like justifying every day off. Its what it is - just know ahead of time what the deal is, and dont complain after. Its your job.

Larger departments often have you on the hook M-F and put a duty crew on for the weekends, the rest of you are free. No need to have 12 pilots on call, although some managers seem to get off on that...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Great discussion! I think the wedge between corporate and airline pilots was solidified on 9/11. Almost overnight there were thousands of airline guys on the street applying to their "fallback" corporate job. Corporate jobs weathered the stormI think most departments wouldn't touch an airline guys because they knew as soon as he was recalled, he'd be gone in a heartbeat. Airlines used to blow away any corporate job. Of course airlines have cut their pay and benefit packages that now mirrors corporate jobs a lot more.

Latest resources

Back