Airline Training Academy out of business

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You are very welcome.

I spoke with the governor's (Jeb Bush) aide the other day, and this will not go by unnoticed.

One of the remedies in some cases like this is siezure of assets. I'm hoping that can be worked out, and the students may be made whole, or at least partially so.

Good luck to you.

We have been e-mailing the govenor so maybe that will help
I heard thru the grapevine that it has made its presence known in Washington

These people were not MERELY working on their private certificate. They were paying a large sum of money up front to someone that promised to provide them with an instant career in aviation by bypassing the process that makes professional pilots experienced aviators instead of just people that bought a license to fly a plane. No different from PFT except that ATA had contractual arrangements with airlines rather than the students paying the airline directly.

A whore is a whore is a whore no matter how shes dressed up and wether she works at Gulfstream, got her ATP at ATA, or paid for a Metro FO job at Eagle Aviation.

flydog said:
...And yes I paid for my tuition every semester too CatYaaak. I just didnt pay for all 4 YEARS AND THE ENTIRE DEGREE up front.

Ah, I see. So in other words you aren't a $3, back-alley whore. Nope, not you...you're a $5 back-alley whore instead.

Well Flydog, you've certainly confirmed by example that the "P" in the word "Pilot" does indeed stand for "Prostitute".

flydog said:
These people were not MERELY working on their private certificate. They were paying a large sum of money up front to someone that promised to provide them with an instant career in aviation by bypassing the process that makes professional pilots experienced aviators instead of just people that bought a license to fly a plane. No different from PFT except that ATA had contractual arrangements with airlines rather than the students paying the airline directly.

A whore is a whore is a whore no matter how shes dressed up and wether she works at Gulfstream, got her ATP at ATA, or paid for a Metro FO job at Eagle Aviation.

So basically anyone who does differently than you did, whored them self out. I see. Some of theese guys are working on thier CFI, II, and MEI. You just made a gross generalization about a whole pilot group. Anyone who goes to a school who trains pilots and says that you "may" get an airline job is a whore. You are demented.

So to anyone who wants to be a disgruntled Westwind captain who has nothing better to do than call a bunch of people whores who just got gyped out of a collective Millions of dollars and rant and rave about crap all day just PM flydog. He'll tell you how to get on that "Fast Track".

--03M

The ATA situation seems to be similar to The Academy in Lakeland not too long ago. Students came back from (I believe) Winter break to find the school had closed down. Yet anither "pilot mill" goes belly-up and leaves the hopes and aspirations of many students grounded.

A story told far too often.

My name is Robert Cooper. My wife and I own National Aviation at St. Pete-Clearwater Int'l (PIE). National is one of the oldest flight schools in Florida, having been around since 1968, and one of the first Cessna Pilot Centers. We also own the FBO where National is located: Air-1 Aircraft, the newest FBO in the Tampa Bay area. Air-1 houses Challengers, Lear 60's, Citations, Saberliners, and is regularly visited by G-V's, Global's, Falcon's and other corporate aircraft.

We became a Part 141 school in Sept. 2001. Our Part 141 certificate includes Pvt., Inst., Comm. and Multi. We have had many, many students go through our program. Many stay with us after they earn their CFI; others have gone on to the Regionals and beyond.

We were able to help some of The Academy students, and we may be able to help the ATA students as well.

We don't offer "guaranteed" jobs, marketing hype, etc. You don't wear epaulets and cheap shirts and pants while training. We don't blast you through a program on a strict timetable. We do not make impossible, overhyped promises. You won't see expensive, slick magazine ads. You get what you pay for, and nothing less. And we have a sense of humor.

We DO promise you this: When you leave National Aviation, you will be a competant, safe, and confident pilot. You will have trained in well-maintained, newer Cessna, Piper Seminole, and AMD aircraft. After that, the future is up to you. But you WILL go to job interviews with the secure knowledge that your ability will be easily noticed by the interviewee.

If I can be of service to any of you, please contact David Cunningham, Director of Operations, or Tom Jamin, Chief Flight Instructor at 727-531-3545. Or e-mail: [email protected]. Our website is www.national-aviation.com.

It is sad to hear of these situations and the human tragedy they cause. We would like to do a little something to help.

Robert Cooper, President
National Aviation Holdings, Inc.
e-addy: [email protected]

Thank you for stepping up to the plate, Robert. I hope you can help some of these kids.

The next time I'm at PIE, I'll try and stop by to say hello.

Just to make it official

If you go National Aviation you wont be a whore

And 9103M keep making broad generalizations about something I was very specific about. Those that PFT and go to places like ATA for the get rich quick-pro pilot in 3 month programs make up a very small percentage of the pilot population. Those that did it "like I did" as you put it is over 90% of us that worked for our ratings and learned what it is to be a professional pilot through hard work and experience not through a 90 day crash course in how to wear epaulets.

People that graduate from ATA and go on to the airlines after never having flown a place 6 months earlier are a piss poor substitute for a seasoned professional pilot whose job they took solely because they had the means to write a $50,000 check

And just to clarify I was referring to those that paid in excess of 50k for a zero through hero airline program not those that attended ATA for specific ratings.

Latest resources

Back