• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline Training Academy out of business

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I considered going there at one time. Although I never pursued the airline thing, I always liked Flight Safety the best, precisely for this reason. Flight Safety was the ONLY academy that did not make you pay everything up front.

Unfortunately, those poor students will need to get in line with the rest of the creditors in bankruptcy court.

On the plus side for me, this should alleviate a lot of the congestion at ORL.

Unfortunately, those poor students will need to get in line with the rest of the creditors in bankruptcy court.

I think there is another consideration.

If the operators knew that they would close their doors soon, and accepted the tution payments as if they COULD meet the tenents of the agreement to instruct, then criminal charges may be brought.

That's why the AG should be notified immediately.

They've still got $14k of mine. I've started to file suit against them for it (since they were supposed to refund it a year and a half ago). The Williams always seemed a little shady to me. The training was always good (at least mine), but the manner in which they dealt with everyday decisions was a little odd.

Hopefully we'll all be able to get something back. Something is better than nothing.

I second the remarks of those who said to get a Florida attorney ASAP. The fuel trucks blocking the taxiways were'nt placed there by the school, but by the creditors of the school. The Williams own an ass load of assets and they need to be attatched with liens quickly and be forced into liquidation. I'm not a party to this, nor do I have a firsthand knowledge, but I was in the commercial lending business in Orlando for many years. Good luck to all those who lost money.

I'll second what timebuilder said (and flychicaga repeated).........

You need to get as many of the students together as you can and do something about this.....NOW...

Even if you don't get all your money back, don't let them just walk away smelling like roses......

In fact, the operators may be charged with FRAUD, and in that case, should not be allowed to "walk away" for several years, unless you include picking up trash as they walk along I-4, of course..

You should try instructing for them. I could see this coming from a long way off. It got to the point where you could tell they were putting most of thier energy into Discover air and using the student's tuition to finance it. At one point though tey did show a little remorse and bought some new Elite flight sims and a functional CL-65 flight trainer. But I think that was just to stay competetive with Comair academy. I'll say one thing, Air Orlando is going to bank off of this. I wouldn't be supprised if they buy a few of ATA's aztecs and ramped up thier training program. If the students can get thier money back, they might want to find out.

"CAS checked and...cleared"

If Air Orlando is smart, they won't buy one stinking airplane from ATA. The maintenance on those things was terrible. They had the lowest wage mechanics in the state working for them. There was always something wrong with an airplane.

Also, the students weren't required to pay everything up front, but most do b/c of the "guarantee" of no additional charges for additional training.

Getting the Florida AG involved sounds like a good idea. I only worry that the owners are in too good with Jeb Bush. He came to visit the school while I was there but I don't know what his exact relationship to the Williams was.

Saw a similar situation occurr in another industry many moons ago. It wasn't a bad debt - it was 1st degree felony theft. They gave the money back real quick when the DA told them the difference. You should check into this. good luck.

Latest resources

Back