Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GuppyPuppy

Living the Dream
Working for the airlines sucks all the fun out of flying.

For those of you just starting out, relish the time and type of flying you're doing right now. You will look back at these days with favor and wish you could still afford to fly a Cessna. If you aspire to be an airline pilot, I beg you to reconsider.

Flying for the airlines used to be a great job and a good career. These days it is, at best, a mediocre job and an absolutely lousy career.

Please go be plumbers, electricians, contractors, nurses, engineers, lawyers, corporate pilots, military pilots, bush pilots, riverboat pilots...anything but an airline pilot.

GP

There are only two good reasons to be an airline pilot. Pay and time off. If the job doesn't offer those, then I agree. (I consider myself very lucky) I have to fly outside my job for the "fun" of flying.

flint4xx said:
There are only two good reasons to be an airline pilot. Pay and time off. If the job doesn't offer those, then I agree. (I consider myself very lucky) I have to fly outside my job for the "fun" of flying.

Couldn't agree more.

Was in upgrade training earlier this year when a bunch of excited, wide-eyed new-hires asked me how I liked working here. My answer..."It's a paycheck and days off. That's it."

Glad to see that you can actually afford to fly outside of your job. I wish I could. I really do miss flying single-engine aircraft.

GP

My plumber just came over and "fixed" small leak in the copper.

$50 service call, $45 an hour for a min 1 hour!

Leak fixed in 15 minutes tops! = $95 bucks for 15 minutes.

I've started leaving the crack of my ass showing at work, to help bring up the pay!

I've started leaving the crack of my ass showing at work, to help bring up the pay![/quote]

:laugh: :laugh:

GuppyPuppy said:
Working for the airlines sucks all the fun out of flying.

For those of you just starting out, relish the time and type of flying you're doing right now. You will look back at these days with favor and wish you could still afford to fly a Cessna. If you aspire to be an airline pilot, I beg you to reconsider.

Flying for the airlines used to be a great job and a good career. These days it is, at best, a mediocre job and an absolutely lousy career.

Please go be plumbers, electricians, contractors, nurses, engineers, lawyers, corporate pilots, military pilots, bush pilots, riverboat pilots...anything but an airline pilot.

WOW...reading this pretty much admits failure. Has this poster already quit his airline flying job?

Maybe you fly for a "legacy" carrier? I can somewhat understand how you feel. But, what you need to do is find that place where you think your career will improve...then do what you have to do to get there....if not, then enjoy whatever it is you decide to do....and by all means, please return here to post and tell us how it is going.

Now, where I now work, it still is a great job and a good career....but that came from this company having a super management team---a forward looking management team.

I was once at a "legacy" carrier...wasn't happy with how things were going....looked for the corporate culture that best represented my values...and I came here....over 10 years ago....and I am just as happy now as I was the day I was hired....

Tejas

GuppyPuppy said:

GP

LOL! You obviously don't know how bad being a nurse sucks. First off, you work your a$$ off for every penny, get treated like crap by the patients, etc. I would rather work for a commuter for the rest of my life than be a nurse. It's a decent side job but that's about it.

Tejas-Jet said:
WOW...reading this pretty much admits failure. Has this poster already quit his airline flying job?

Maybe you fly for a "legacy" carrier? I can somewhat understand how you feel. But, what you need to do is find that place where you think your career will improve...then do what you have to do to get there....if not, then enjoy whatever it is you decide to do....and by all means, please return here to post and tell us how it is going.

Now, where I now work, it still is a great job and a good career....but that came from this company having a super management team---a forward looking management team.

I was once at a "legacy" carrier...wasn't happy with how things were going....looked for the corporate culture that best represented my values...and I came here....over 10 years ago....and I am just as happy now as I was the day I was hired....

Tejas

Your crazy Tejas. Thats not admiting failiure at all. The fact is that airline flying SUCKS these days. I see that you have 14000 hours or something to that effect. You yourself can attest to how different and terrible this industry is now.

I love to fly but my passion for it is now fogged over by the 121 crap that has consumed this industry. Name one other career where people who have spend thousands of dollars on flying and college are treated as poorly as we are. We have become mass transist and are treated with distain by everyone. Flying is fantastic and I dont regret learnin to fly at all, but in hindsight flying for the airlines is probably one of the worst career decisions a person can make. The benefits dont out weight the cost by any means.

I like airline flying. Even with all the crap we have to put up with, it's still the easiest job around, and I enjoy going to work. All I have to do is show up and fly airplanes.

Of course, I don't let the company know that. :)

Latest resources

Back