• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airline flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Capt Megadeath; you an RN? It does not suck; pays more than any regional job ever will! I worked 12 days a month and made more than most RJ pilots including the captains. And lets see; home every weekend, holiday pay, 12 hour shifts (7a-7p, mon-wed); shift differential; off the rest of the time......but nope that was not good enough. Now I make 1/3 of what I used to; work every weekend and holidays; all so I can eat tuna out of a package in my underwear in a godforsaken laquinta hotel in the middle of Meridian Mississippi. Why don't I go back to the other career? I think it about it every day but I would not be able to make Beavis and Butthead noises on the op's frequency in ATL!

Capt Megadeath; you an RN? It does not suck; pays more than any regional job ever will! I worked 12 days a month and made more than most RJ pilots including the captains. And lets see; home every weekend, holiday pay, 12 hour shifts (7a-7p, mon-wed); shift differential; off the rest of the time......but nope that was not good enough.!

Uh, I don't know where you worked at but any hospital ER in Chicago is not going to give you a M-W schedule. Try every other weekend, every other holiday. People think pilots get treated like crap? HA....try working in an inner city ER! You get treated like crap by people whose kids you pay for with your taxes. Let's see......septic nursing home patient gets dumped off by the medics. I am by myself in the room to do everything including cleaning up the caked on crap on their butt because the nursing home nurses have 25 patients. 45 minutes later I get to come out of the room just in time for a loser that just OD'd from drugs they bought with their welfare check. The loser has the nerve to ask for food just as I walk in the door. Oh, then there's the loser that used the ambulance for a ride to the hospital and now expects the hospital to pay for a taxi for a ride home. Then it's time for triage......lots more fun. Loser comes in for a free pregnancy test. Or how about the idiot that calls the ambulance for stomach pain? Need I go on? If that sounds like it doesn't suck, then I don't know what does. If you think nursing is so great, you can have it. I would rather work at a regional for the rest of my life than do that $hit 40 hours a week. The pay is great you say? Yes, it is good pay but I was making $56 an hour and it got to the point it wasn't worth it anymore.

Pilots and nurses go together like "orange" and "juice". It's a natural, although sometimes dangerous combination. I salute it! :eek:

On topic (I guess) part of the problem is that many people coming into the industry today are expecting it to be all wine and roses from day one. No one (other than people like us) are telling them the truth.

A couple of months before I got laid off, I met a freshly-minted Purdue pilot who married a girl at our church. I tried to give him a heads up but he wasn't buying any of it. He was on his way to the big time.

His first job was at PSA... That was three years ago. Now he's in training to be a missionary pilot (I admire him for this. I think that would be a really cool gig--tough to get a beer in the middle of Cameroon, though...).

I can't wait to see him again. I don't want to be snotty about it but someone has to wake these kids up (not being condescending, you'll say the same thing when you've been in the business 20 years, too) to the realities of the airlines.TC

That is why I left the ER; too much crap. Ahhhh...the days of the wife/kid beaters, upper/lower GI bleeds, hot gallbladders that speak no english, and hey how about those...nah...nevermind...Inner city ER? No way jose; no wonder you became a pilot!

I really miss working with angry, bitter, divorced women that have not had a date since Clinton left the oval office.

His first job was at PSA... That was three years ago. Now he's in training to be a missionary pilot (I admire him for this. I think that would be a really cool gig--tough to get a beer in the middle of Cameroon, though...).

There are some days where that doesn't seem to be such a bad idea.

Latest resources

Back