Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airbus trepidation... convince me otherwise!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK Folks this question has been a long time coming. I know I'm gonna hear a lot of good and bad from both camps... that's fine.

With the A319 only 1.5 years away from arriving here at AA, I'm trying to erase a long running hesitation in someday flying this bird. For years I strongly disliked the Airbus cockpit philosophy and was rather glad that AA chose to stay true to Boeing.

I've had the opportunity to j/s on United and USAir Airbus cockpits and I must say..... I'm still hesitant. ...

Let's make this easy. What do pilots really want? Less work for more pay...

That is the Airbus.

...treat class and study like I'm brand new to airlines. Clean slate, humble, and focused.
I'm not in the least qualified to tell airline pilots about their airplanes, but this remark hit home with me.

Many years ago I was an F-4 EWO who got the chance to transition to the F/EF-111. I was at that time pretty full of myself because I had flown a lot of both Weasel and air-to-air missions.

To my surprise, I had a real hard time staying ahead of the Aardvark at first, because the F-4 and F-111 are so very different airplanes. The F-4 was like a John Deer, the F-111 was like the Star Ship Enterprise by comparison.

A couple of instructors pulled me aside and said I had to forget about the F-4 if I was going to suceed in the 'Vark.

They were right, and once I took their advice to heart I did much better, and my F-111 B course check ride was possiblty the only perfect flight I've ever flown in my life.

I learned latter that the Zen Masters figured this thought pattern out a long time ago, it's called 'The Beginner's Mind'.

With a good understanding of the aircraft and good airmanship, buses are as good as boeing... just two different things. To me, it's all about understanding the automation built in and the limitations so that you can anticipate with confidence what the plane does or does not do. If you think something is not right, no big deal. You always have an option of taking it over yourself. Hand flying is extremely easy and even fun in buses actually. Are there things I wished I had in buses? You bet. Automatic VNAV capture or audible altitude alerter 1000' before leveling off for example. But all in all, I've grown to like the buses...

Some sad airbus outcomes have resulted from pilots not resorting to "old school" and pushing the throttles all the way forward. I was taught the airbus way of setting managed speed etc. and think it can lure you into not being as aware of what is going on with power as a pilot should be. I often take over with vert speed at 1000 above/below just to stay in the piloting game, hate the open descent, level off, 1980s era computers get 10 knots slow then realize full power is needed. Racing up/down to level off often triggers TCAS warnings needlessly anyway.

So have some sad Boeing outcomes (Palm 90). Seems to me it all just boils down to flying it. I have to wonder when people say "it flies so different". Well doesn't every airplane. I really liked the DC-3 and the 727, but they both fly completely different. I go to school on the bus next month and this thread has confirmed what I thought. Most of the people who have anything negative to say about the AirBus never flew one and most of the people that fly it love it. Thanks for everyone's input.

I'm not in the least qualified to tell airline pilots about their airplanes, but this remark hit home with me.

Many years ago I was an F-4 EWO who got the chance to transition to the F/EF-111. I was at that time pretty full of myself because I had flown a lot of both Weasel and air-to-air missions.

To my surprise, I had a real hard time staying ahead of the Aardvark at first, because the F-4 and F-111 are so very different airplanes. The F-4 was like a John Deer, the F-111 was like the Star Ship Enterprise by comparison.

A couple of instructors pulled me aside and said I had to forget about the F-4 if I was going to suceed in the 'Vark.

They were right, and once I took their advice to heart I did much better, and my F-111 B course check ride was possiblty the only perfect flight I've ever flown in my life.

I learned latter that the Zen Masters figured this thought pattern out a long time ago, it's called 'The Beginner's Mind'.

Sure you are, good advice is good advice, you are just as qualified as anyone else to pass on a good tip. Very good point and universal to all of aviation.

Dude, it's just a machine. Turn off the autothrust and autopilot and fly it like any other airplane. You'll be surprised how much it flies just like it should.
Let the Boeing go.... Understand the flight control laws and remember to activate and confirm.
You're gonna like this airplane, I guarantee it. The guy who crashed into the trees screwed up. This airplane will give you anything you want, but you better learn to fly it and not just bring your Boeing methods and try to lay it over this airplane; it demands to be flown a certain way and if you don't learn the method, it will bite you just like any other airplane will.

Latest resources

Back