• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air France Flight Missing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You'd think that a P-3 with sonobuoys - ones that can find a sub that is trying to hide - could find a CVR and FDR that wants to be found.

Any one have info on that aspect?

sound travels in different channels in water based upon temperature, pressure, and salinity. Getting buoys in the proper place to detect an object 10,000 ft or below is incredibly hard. then, getting a location on the object is harder. A submarine is way more reliable given its ability to change depths and having more sensors, but even a standard sub can't travel that deep.

It's just a very tough scenario.

sound travels in different channels in water based upon temperature, pressure, and salinity. Getting buoys in the proper place to detect an object 10,000 ft or below is incredibly hard. then, getting a location on the object is harder. A submarine is way more reliable given its ability to change depths and having more sensors, but even a standard sub can't travel that deep.

It's just a very tough scenario.

Most of what I know is from reading "Hunt for Red October," so not much. Any idea how deep towed arrays for the destroyers and subs go?

Most of what I know is from reading "Hunt for Red October," so not much. Any idea how deep towed arrays for the destroyers and subs go?

I'm not sure about boats
icon26.gif
but they would be much better prepared for a sustained search than a plane, their limit is in their ability to transit a large search area quickly.

So it's been like five days since the last comment -- and that was me. Has this tragedy fallen off the radar screen in deference to our own issues here in the US? Do we really care?

I'm out of country so to speak-BBC is covering the Paris Airshow 100th Edition and they are making point of how EADS is carrying on about the outstanding safety record of their aircraft...in between reports about the floating Vertical Stab-so it's not off the radar world wide at least!

Most of that ASW stuff is done in the first couple of thousand feet of water where subs operate. They can use the bottom to bounce sonar waves off of, but aren't looking for anything on the bottom.
I suspect special equipment towed at deep depths will be required. Just my two cents.

Nova: Crash of Flight 447 premiers on 2/16/11. You can watch it now on Netflix.

Although the "black boxes" haven't been found, Nova did a pretty good job of coming up with one compelling reason for the crash.

If you lost your airspeed indicators at altitude, would you know what thrust and pitch attitude to maintain?

Latest resources

Back