• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air France A-340 down in YYZ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While much of the criticism of the media may be deserved, the fact is that it is not as easy as one thinks. These times when an unexpected story pops like an air crash, it is extremely hard to get information yet there you are with a camera and microphone live and you have to talk, think. and listen, all at the same time.

Secondly, even if you have some knowledge about it, you have to be able to communicate it in a way that makes sense to the average listener.

I got the call from CNN on my way home to take my son to baseball. I was trying to listen to the local news to get information as I am talking to CNN about the accident, windshear, and microburst. Most of the producers have a list of people that they call about a specific subject. They then have to find that person and see what information that they have and set up a live feed and satillite connection and a studio.

Had I decided to go forth with an on air interview, I would have had to drive to the studio location they arranged, been hooked up, and then wait for broadcast time that matched sat time. I then have to communicate what a microburst is in language that people sitting at home can understand--- try it. And try it with a bunch of voices talking into your earpiece.

Trust me, on more than one occassion I have wondered why I said what I did. It is not easy.

DAS at 10/250 said:
Yes the media does a bad job of reporting on aviation. But what do you expect from non-aviation people? How well could most of you report on stastical analysis or bio-engineering? Yes you are the experts. You do this for a living and should be well versed in aviation. But instead of whinning on this board and sending hate emails why don't you spend your energy saying a prayer for these poor people or at least wishing them the best of luck. A lot of people lost someone they love today. Somebody's kid is dead. Somebody's dad is gone. Somebody's mother is never coming home.

Sorry for the rant but I'm tired or hearing how much the regionals suck, how underpaid you are, and how much Wolf Blitzer sucks. Lots of people are sitting at home dying inside wondering if their loved one is alive. Give the bitching a rest.

DAS

I agree. Most people here with comments debunking all of the commentary from the media are attempting to justify their jobs and experience. Who cares??? So what if the reporter who makes $250,000 a year knows nothing about aviation.
It sounds like the guys from "The revenge of the Nerds."
"Hey Gilbert, these guys don't know squat about FMS or DH. They think RVR is some kind of stream.........Duh, Louis. I laugh at all of the passengers as they get off this aerodynamic wonder that we electronically manipulate."

Believe it or not guys, today most people feel sorry for us white collar wannabees. Looking down on them is akin to us looking down on WN pax.

Publishers said:
While much of the criticism of the media may be deserved, the fact is that it is not as easy as one thinks. These times when an unexpected story pops like an air crash, it is extremely hard to get information yet there you are with a camera and microphone live and you have to talk, think. and listen, all at the same time.

Secondly, even if you have some knowledge about it, you have to be able to communicate it in a way that makes sense to the average listener.

I got the call from CNN on my way home to take my son to baseball. I was trying to listen to the local news to get information as I am talking to CNN about the accident, windshear, and microburst. Most of the producers have a list of people that they call about a specific subject. They then have to find that person and see what information that they have and set up a live feed and satillite connection and a studio.

Had I decided to go forth with an on air interview, I would have had to drive to the studio location they arranged, been hooked up, and then wait for broadcast time that matched sat time. I then have to communicate what a microburst is in language that people sitting at home can understand--- try it. And try it with a bunch of voices talking into your earpiece.

Trust me, on more than one occassion I have wondered why I said what I did. It is not easy.

That's why they should ask peope that hava a lot of experience on the subject, not some guy who just got his private. And if they have to come up with something to ssay, it's better to just describe the known facts over and over than to come up with a bunch of ASSumptions without the info or knowledge to back them up.

That guy Miles was having the best day of his life there, and when they called Miles' friend (The 330 ret.pilot) you could hear on his voice that he was thinking "God this clown doesn't know his ass from his head"

Regardless of whether the reporter is informed about aviation, I would hope the media would be responsible enough to interview those that do have the information, not the first person that appears in front of their equipment.

baba booey

where were the howard stern callers today? they normally invade cnn when big news hits.

Tripower455 said:
LOL.... I agree.... what a bunch of idiots......

He told them that if there is a tailwind, that a wing can't fly.......

That's just a reflection of the "idiot" CFI's out there filling space in the right seat instead of teaching, don't always blame the pilot, he only knows what he was taught.

There are very few CFI's I will even let look at my plane let alone touch it.

BTW, it's been confirmed the plane was hit by lightning per most of the passengers and the airbus captain.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back