• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air France 447 Found

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with most of your post however, as an Airbus guy, I am wondering if you are overriding the auto throttles anyway, why are they on. To achieve that feel you are referring to, and rightfully so, I just turn the autopilot/throttles off.
I've never flown anything with a/t that could get gusty winds on an approach 100% right, and sometimes the computer needs help with power settings (10 kts +/- where she SHOULD be cruising and once you tweak the power and hold it for a couple seconds, she figures it out).

Like I said, the automation isn't smarter than the pilot in 99.9% of situations IF the pilot is worth their salt. It's a workload-reduction tool but has to be monitored, like any other system. Just easier in my mind to monitor by tactile feedback rather than having to put another instrument in my scan but, as you pointed out, I haven't flown a Bus product. :)

Both models fly well with everything turned off. When the automation has to be on you just operate a bit differently in each make.
Point taken, guess I'd have to experience it to see whether it would still bug me, but I see where it *could* have been a factor with everything else they had going on with this accident. One more thing to have to watch rather than just feeling what was going on and putting your attention on other issues.

The airbus is a great hand flying airplane.... As soon as you stop trying to make it a Boeing.
Oh- and you got to read the manual and know the logic-

In your opinion, of course. Should be a memory item.

I don't know if I consider the "airspeed unreliable" charts a memory item, but the information it contains is something you should know, preferably from experience.

I see you and I both flew the DA20. My first one had no FD and a rather tenuous autopilot, so I spent a lot of time at hand-flying "raw data" at FL410. Perhaps you had the same experience. . . . . I got very good at it, but I sure wouldn't want to do it in severe turbulence, which is very likely the scenario that unfortunate crew found themselves in.

Btw, I am amazed at how many pilots I have flown with who have little to no experience hand-flying their jet at max altitude. Pitot or pitot/static failure in a CB would not be a great time to try it for the first time.

TW

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back