• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air France 447 Found

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wow.... nice work finding it.. especially over 2 miles deep. Any engineering types out there know if they can get any data from the boxes after two years. I hope so.

It's hard for me to fathom identifiable bodies after almost 2 years. I hope this helps bring closure to some families.

And Air France DOES want the boxes found. They have been indicted of man-slaughter and are looking for a defense.

Gup

What defense will they have if it shows the airplane was fine until it flew into the top of a thunderstorm?

What defense will they have if it shows the airplane was fine until it flew into the top of a thunderstorm?

Yawn ... Ever heard of the weather phenomenon called the ITCZ? Ever talked to pilots who cross it on a regular basis? Besides, LH and IB had both crossed the approximate location without any problems just a few minutes prior.

Does anyone here know the Airbus flight control logic to know if that's even possible with that airplane's FBW system?

I don't think that has anything to do with pilot skill or training....but it has everything to do with what the pilots would be able to do with the controls when the ADC isn't getting accurate data.

Watch the show on Nova (online) which forensically recreates what they surmise may have happened. The also look at historical data in which previous pitot tubes froze yielding innacurate airspeed data. In a number of the cases, it took crews a long time to respond to low thrust settings (maybe in part because the thrust levers don't move on the bus when dialing in a reduced airspeed?)

Does anyone here know the Airbus flight control logic to know if that's even possible with that airplane's FBW system?
Sure you can. Pitch and power.

Yeah, I understand the concept of pitch and power, thanks.

What I was asking was that, if the pitot system iced over, as is the hypothesis in the NOVA episode, and thus the ADCs would be getting false data, and the flight control and engine computers would be making decisions based on that false data, would the pilots still be able to set known pitch and power settings?

Would the pilots be able to select a throttle position that would give a known power setting? Would the stick inputs actually be turned into flight control movements?

In other words, to what extent can actual manual inputs (over-riding what the computers 'want' them to do) be made to an Airbus' flight control system and engine power system?

Latest resources

Back