• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Attack/Tanker, Helo Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can think of two, and both have long paper trails.

On the other hand, I can think of a coulpe tanker pilots who have made a successful career out of the airlines.

Inline's statement was both ignorant and arogant.

To which "tanker units" do you refer? All air tankers, multi engine air tankers, single engine air tankers, helitankers, tanker bases, government agencies fielding or contracting tankers, tanker companies, or pilots who get tanked?

avbug said:
I was in Fresno for about three months on a fire, once. But fresno is always sort of an "I spent three months there, one day," sort of place. It was a long three months. Just before we got sent somewhere else, I had a day off, and rode the bicycle I kept in the airplane to a shooting range across town. On the way back in the dark I was standing on the pedals going through a light when the chain came off and I came off with it when my foot slipped. I went through the frame, the wheel bent, and I did a face plant in the intersection. A car from the right tried to press the light and ended up stopped with it's bumper over me. Not a soul stopped to do more than stare briefly, and as I couldn't get up, I dragged myself and the bike clear of the intersection to the sidewalk.

I was unable to ride the bike, and had to carry it the remaining three miles back to the tanker base, in a considerable amount of pain. What annoyed me most, however, was the indignance that the drivers there held out in the intersection, acting quite put out that they were being delayed by someone injured in the intersection. Honking, yelling, and pushing forward with a fair amount of disregard, I had the distinct impression they'd have probably run over me if I hadn't dragged myself clear, quick enough.

That's just one of a hundred reasons I hate California and NewYork, give me the midwest anyday.

DC4boy said:
You do not know from which you speak, so STFU!!!

Inline's statement was both ignorant and arrogant.

Umm, you're kidding, right? Your posts on this thread pretty much define the term arrogant.

Stating that an Airtanker pilot would'nt get past the first sim session is a pretty bold, arrogant statement.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and no I'm not kidding.

I guess I should have said when did they let tankers start flying again. I thought the forest service got rid of them. Did they realize that there a need for them. And do they have aircraft that are flown single pilot?

Last edited:
Certain heavy tanker operations were temporarily suspended (contracts illegally cancelled), and two types are no longer flying in service in the US. The C-130 and the PB4Y are not returning. Presently on federal contracts, P-3's and P2V's are flying, and certain douglas products are covering some state contracts, as well as CL-215's, and California is flying S-2's.

Single engine and helitanker contracts were never affected.

CDF operations (California) have single pilot operations, and SEAT (single engine air tanker platforms...Dromaders, Air Tractor's, and Thrush's) operate single pilot.

As for the tangent(s) to which this thread has digressed...why does the issue need to be an ego one? Positions aren't available, and the question was posed quite simply as to what backgrounds are most conducive to obtaining employment. The question was answered, and further detailed that employment presently is not possible...why do folks need to get their dander in an uproar?

Latest resources

Back