Age to 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mach92

So reading over on the majors section they "boys" seem to be very mad at 65 passing. Here at NetJets we have a ton of over 60 guys. Hell I think we have several over 70. Interesting reading for sure. I did get a call from a friend at SWA saying his upgrade will now be close to 12-14 years.

The legislation should have created a mandatory retirement age of 65 for ALL compensated flying: Part 91, 91K, 135 and 121.

How is it that the day you turn 60 (or 65) you can no longer safely fly a Southwest 737 but you can go down to Van Nuys or Vegas or wherever and jump onto a BBJ and go blasting around the world until you can't hold a medical or drop dead?

Let's either have one, across-the-board, consistent retirement age, or none at all.

The legislation should have created a mandatory retirement age of 65 for ALL compensated flying: Part 91, 91K, 135 and 121.

How is it that the day you turn 60 (or 65) you can no longer safely fly a Southwest 737 but you can go down to Van Nuys or Vegas or wherever and jump onto a BBJ and go blasting around the world until you can't hold a medical or drop dead?

Let's either have one, across-the-board, consistent retirement age, or none at all.

Politics. Please don't wish the same regulated bull$hit on our sector of the industry as 121 has.

121 remains the most regulated, unregulated industry in the world.

At Netjets I've flown with a ton of 65+ guys. I'm starting to get a little scared. Every single one of the guys that were 67+ should not be flying. They get confused so easily and can't adapt to the changes fast enough. I'll agree the 60-65 range is flyable. I'm seeing a slight drop in ablity but still very capable. 67+ they are falling apart.

My question is... Who makes the call that a pilot is no longer safe? How bad does someone get before they are finally kicked out? How long is someone allowed to fly unsafe until the nonexistent process finally boots them?

I really do love to hear the life stories. Most of these guys have lived an interesting life. They just don't know when to start a new chapter.

We all get old. We all are terrible at judging when to stop.

Last edited:

The problem is, it happens on both ends of the age scale. I haven't flown with anyone over 65 at NJA yet, but I understand where you're coming from.

Question is, would it be any better with a 300 hour wonder in the right seat of that RJ you ride on to work? After talking with many many ex-regional pilots here at NJA, I'm just as scared riding on the regionals as I am being stuck with a geezer who can't keep up.

True, the young guy should improve, whereas the older gent may continue to get worse, but how do you fix it? Ask for more govn't regs on both ends of the experience timeline? Not sure I want more govn't interference.

deleted.

Last edited:
I'll take flying with a 67 year old retired Delta Captain over a 300 hour riddle wonder kid any day of the week. When the $hit hits the fan, I want someone calm and collected over someone who is going to start throwing switches sitting next to me.

I only have 4000 hours. I'll take experience any day.

Reality Man:
Yes you have flown with someone over 65!!!!! Hehe!

Oh, and 208S....... I will challenge you to flying and RON'ing.

Last edited:
Duke, you don't count!!! You're more of a partying dude than I am, hands down!!!

And if that's the case, I think you're the only one I've flown with in that demographic. So my opinion of pilots over 67 has to be: In my experience, they do a great job. No worries here.

Still scared of the regionals though.

Latest resources

Back