• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
InFO - President Today Signed Age 65 Into Law
Notice Number: NOTC1079
Subject:
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]President Today Signed Age 65 Into Law, Affecting Pilots Under Part 121 [/FONT]
Purpose:​
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]This InFO announces the "Fair Treatment for Experienced Pilots Act" (the Act), effective immediately, December 13, 2007, and highlights key provisions of the Act. [/FONT]
Background:​
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]In November, 2006, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) revised the maximum age for certain pilots in international operations from age 60 to age 65. Until 12/13/07, the United States, an ICAO member state, limited its pilots operating under Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 121 to age 60. Now those pilots may continue until age 65, as specified in the Act. [/FONT]
Discussion:​
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Key provisions of the Act include the following:
. As of 12/13/07, part 121, § 121.383(c), specifying age 60, ceases to be effective.
. A pilot age 60+ acting as pilot in command (PIC) in international operations must be paired with a pilot under age 60 (consistent with the current ICAO requirement).
. In domestic operations both pilots may be age 60+.
. It permits the continued employment of a pilot who reaches age 60 on or after 12/13/07.
. It permits the employment as a new-hire a pilot who reached age 60 before 12/13/07.
. A pilot age 60+ will not be subjected to different, greater, or more frequent medical exams.
. Any pilot age 60+ must hold a first-class medical certificate, renewable on a 6-month cycle.
. Any air carrier employing pilots age 60+ must adjust its training program to ensure such pilots' skill and judgment continue at acceptable levels.
. Any pilot age 60+ must undergo a line check at 6-month intervals.
. For a pilot age 60+ acting as second in command (SIC), a regularly scheduled simulator evaluation may substitute for a required line check.
[/FONT]
Recommended Action:​
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Directors of safety, directors of operations, chief pilots, trainers, and pilots under part 121 should be aware of the Act and should collaborate immediately in implementing its provisions.
The exact language of the Act can be downloaded at the following public Web site:​
[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman] http://thomas.loc.gov [/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]. In the "Search Bill Text" box click on "Bill Number," enter "HR 4343" and click Search. [/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]An InFO contains valuable information for operators that should help them meet certain administrative, regulatory, or operational requirements with relatively low urgency or impact on safety. [/FONT]
For more information on this and other InFO's please go to the following URL:​
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]You have received this notice from FAASafety.gov because you have selected "General Information" in your preferences on your FAASafety.gov account. Click here to log in and edit your preferences on FAASafety.gov.[/FONT]

While this will forever be a sensitive subject, the fact remains that a younger person will generally have better success learning and retaining information, have better hand/eye coordination, have better hearing, reflexes, eyesight/periferal vision, ect....
While an older guy has the benefit of years of experience to help his judgement, I can say I have personally witnessed the poorest decision making within the group 55 and up. I have only flown with one guy who had his ******************** totally together and who I trusted completely. He is 65. Mostly my observation has been that the older guys not only seem to have real trouble with today's automation and technology, but also seem to resist educating themselves on it's use. In a day where the GPS approach is commonplace, it's necessary to understand how the equipment works and thinks. I've seen some really scary stuff. But I'll say this, I don't care how old you are, I just want you to know how to operate your equipment properly. And as far as recognizing when to hang up your hat, I only know one guy so far who had the humility and decency to admit he was having a tough time keeping up. He was very frank in admitting that he wasn't the pilot he once was, and how he'd be damned if he was going to end his career as part of a NTSB report. I've got a lot of respect for him, and I for one will follow his example.

While this will forever be a sensitive subject, the fact remains that a younger person will generally have better success learning and retaining information, have better hand/eye coordination, have better hearing, reflexes, eyesight/periferal vision, ect....
While an older guy has the benefit of years of experience to help his judgement, I can say I have personally witnessed the poorest decision making within the group 55 and up. I have only flown with one guy who had his ******************** totally together and who I trusted completely. He is 65. Mostly my observation has been that the older guys not only seem to have real trouble with today's automation and technology, but also seem to resist educating themselves on it's use. In a day where the GPS approach is commonplace, it's necessary to understand how the equipment works and thinks. I've seen some really scary stuff. But I'll say this, I don't care how old you are, I just want you to know how to operate your equipment properly. And as far as recognizing when to hang up your hat, I only know one guy so far who had the humility and decency to admit he was having a tough time keeping up. He was very frank in admitting that he wasn't the pilot he once was, and how he'd be damned if he was going to end his career as part of a NTSB report. I've got a lot of respect for him, and I for one will follow his example.

There certainly are a lot of over 55+ pilots flying all over the world in G550's, BBD700's, B777/747 and various versions of the AirBus. What makes you think you CL65 is to technical and automated that these guys can't keep up? Any one of these aircraft is far advanced from RJ POS that your flying. My POS comments are directed at riding in the back, not up front. Really, what am I missing here?

Ummm... did you also notice the date? It's been awhile, and 3 type ratings later.....and MANY observations later. And that's all it is, an observation. Why so thin skinned?

Ummm... did you also notice the date? It's been awhile, and 3 type ratings later.....and MANY observations later. And that's all it is, an observation. Why so thin skinned?

Ah...sorry I don't see any reference to a date? Have even less of a clue as to what 3 type ratings have to do with your post? So is my analogy flawed or am I just to old to get your drift? I simply wondered how all these older guys are able to fly these things around all over the world without one accident after another? Certainly not thin skinned, just seeking the benefit of your knowledge.

What is important to me is experience and common sense. I dont mean to change this to a 121 vs 91 thing, but I just flew a trip with two different captains that never flew 121 world. It was the worst 7 day tour since being at NJs. The two capts and myself are all the same age (44), but their lack of judgement was lacking. On one flight we had a "situation". I was the PNF, and basically had to tell him what to do and why. He flew the plane just fine, but didnt have the other situational awareness going on.

The other guy; we didnt have and emergency, but we flew a flight that was 55 minutes at 16,000, so we did the "short segment checklist" that doesnt say to turn the APU off or the seatbelt sign off. I asked him if we should turn these items off, he said "is it in the short segment checklist?" No, but our FOM says to minimize the usage of the APU (6-47). Again no common sense.

I have flown with a couple of 65+ guys, and they are great (except one spilled his soup on me). They have the "big picture".

I don't doubt you but my experience has been largely the exact opposite.

I was thumbing through my NJI new hire manual from the last century (literally) and came upon an interesting item. When I was hired, our company had a mandatory retirement age of 65. Needless to say, that doesn't exist anymore and I suspect the threat of legal action by one of our fossils is the reason why. I'm still of the opinion that the regulation change this week to age 65 should have included ALL compensated flying.

Latest resources

Back