Age to 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Reality Man:
Yes you have flown with someone over 65!!!!! Hehe!

Oh, and 208S....... I will challenge you to flying and RON'ing.

I didn't say I was super pilot. I also don't need to measure dicks to make my point. My concern is when and how do you start pulling these guys out if they don't excuse themselves?

Many of the guys I flew with want to fly into their 70s. Their was a guy in the Falcon that was pulled out of the left seat cause he couldn't cut it anymore. How long did it take to pull him out? How many month/years was he unsafe before the company finally pulled him out of the left seat? One good thing about flying with someone that old is they get tired fast. Fatigue is used more often.

Last edited:
208S..........

What got me was your statement : "Every single one of the guys that were 67+ should not be flying."
I am one of those and thus my challenge.

So what the deal with with over guys still on the senority list going back in the 121 cockpit. Like our over 60 DA-20 drivers can they go back to the DA-20?

208S..........

What got me was your statement : "Every single one of the guys that were 67+ should not be flying."
I am one of those and thus my challenge.

Read it again. I was talking about the guys I FLEW WITH.

"Every single one of the guys that were 67+ should not be flying."

I have yet to fly with someone over the age of 67 that is demonstrating full capabilities. I have no doubt there are people out there that can do it at that age. I'm not targeting you. I have not flown with you.
So I'll ask again
"My concern is when and how do you start pulling these guys out if they don't excuse themselves?"

Last edited:
I'll take flying with a 67 year old retired Delta Captain over a 300 hour riddle wonder kid any day of the week. When the $hit hits the fan, I want someone calm and collected over someone who is going to start throwing switches sitting next to me.

I only have 4000 hours. I'll take experience any day.

The retired guy has better stories too.

Last edited:
I'm not aware that NJA has a procedure set in stone for dealing with aging pilots who may be deteriorating. Having said that, I do know several of the older guys here recently have had to do some sort of "cognitive evaluation" by a professional to assess their capability to continue flying.

The legislation should have created a mandatory retirement age of 65 for ALL compensated flying: Part 91, 91K, 135 and 121.

How is it that the day you turn 60 (or 65) you can no longer safely fly a Southwest 737 but you can go down to Van Nuys or Vegas or wherever and jump onto a BBJ and go blasting around the world until you can't hold a medical or drop dead?

Let's either have one, across-the-board, consistent retirement age, or none at all.

I hear ya. It's not unlike the double standard BS in supplemental O2 requirements between 135 and 121 just because of the Payne Stewart crash. What? 121 pilots have a longer useful consciousness than 135 pilots? Give me a break!

At least with the older guy you can get the AARP discount at dinner :D.

2nd the sea stories, I don't ever wanna hear a ohh man it was tough at riddle crap. Puhhhhllleeasseee

I'll take flying with a 67 year old retired Delta Captain over a 300 hour riddle wonder kid any day of the week. When the $hit hits the fan, I want someone calm and collected over someone who is going to start throwing switches sitting next to me.

I only have 4000 hours. I'll take experience any day.

Thank you for the compliment.

DSA

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back