• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 Stinks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nice to know a bill which has affected the lives of many guys on the street now was passed with no debate. Everyone of the age 65 guys I remind them to think about the guy on the street they replaced.

Strike's never over for SCABS.

Please explain: Regarding age 65, we're suppose to "get over it". But the strike is "never over for the SCABS"? I refuse to talk of either of these while at work because I fail to see the difference, frankly. Strikers (like Prater) want to all of us to believe that scabs did something wrong but working past 60 is just fine. It's BS dude. The only difference I see is that even Frank Lorenzo would have identified the need to balance the seniority affects of a seniority situation in flux (strike or 65). When guys like Prater came off strike he didn't get to bid his full seniority, and the planes, lines and pay all got balanced out. I'm not saying that's a good thing necessarily but the seniority is in fact very much the reason these age 60+ guys are taking what they are!!

What I'm saying is: given what we know about Lorenzo compared to the fact that Prater is supposed to be our strongest advocate, the very unfortunate result is Prater is WORSE than Lorenzo. Tell me where I'm wrong?

Sometimes you must do what is right even if it hurts. Stop your crying Imagine if you were stuck at a regional with no where to go? It was right to correct what was wrong in the first place. What ALPA needs to do is stop fighting the bad fights (like how much time and money was spent fighting the age 65 change for crying babies like you) and fight the good fight like fixing the pathetic pay for new pilots or even QOL for everyone. Hmmm imagine when someone has been sitting reserve for 5-6 years, do you think that person is happy that every contract has great scheduling provisions for line holding but those at the bottom can sit 8 hours a day, up to ten days a month on ready reserve and get no extra pay! Wonderful and that with a crew room with 15 chairs for over 800 crew members!

I got to enjoy flying with one the over sixty crowd. He should have stepped aside at sixty. We flew just over 20 hours on a 4 day trip. He fell asleep every single leg. Of the 20 hours of flying was awake for 12 of them. Flying into EWR we had a 20 knot x-wind. The non revs in the back came up to ask what had happened.

It was like doing IOE with a new hire, but the new hire was your boss.

On the flip side I have also flown with some guys, that are over sixty, that have been great. I have learned a lot from each of them. It always up to the individual.

The difference in age 60+ pilots is that they are working for the toys and the mistakes. The rest of us are working to pay the bills.

Age 65 is age discrimination. There should not be a maximum age as long as a pilot can pass the medical and the check rides. It would only be fair to all if the age limit on pilots is eliminated. This will happen eventually. If the pay scale continues as it is, every pilot will need to work until they die so as to pay their bills. The way things are now, pilots will not be able to ever save enough money to "retire" at any age; so, the result is to just keep working to earn a living. That is the futrue of the pilot profession.

Last edited:
Age 65 is age discrimination. There should not be a maximum age as long as a pilot can pass the medical and the check rides. It would only be fair to all if the age limit on pilots is eliminated. This will happen eventually. If the pay scale continues as it is, every pilot will need to work until they die so as to pay their bills. The way things are now, pilots will not be able to ever save enough money to "retire" at any age; so, the result is to just keep working to earn a living. That is the futrue of the pilot profession.

A first class medical is a joke at most AME offices, and a great travesty of the entire 65 debacle is that the standards were not changed.

If there is one positive, it's that you missed the cut! Enjoy the street Gramps! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Not one of us in this profession is going to make a fortune. I mean, in real terms there isn't much difference between retiring with $1 million vs. $2million. We're all going to reach an age where the dollars don't matter. Being well off in this environment is not going to be all it's cracked up to be. Before long we're going to see opinions change on this issue across the board. Especially in this profesion, where the generational theft is magnified by seniority. Those of you who delight in knowing that working to 65 is denying another a chance more than you actually need to work are going to find yourself wishing you had acted more admirably.

I know a lot of real good guys who are scabs. Most of them would give back every dollar they ever made if they could get that stink off of them. You'll be the same way Avbug. That's if you were ever worth a squirt of pi$$ to begin with.

I'm a scab now, am I? Which picket line is it that I've crossed, exactly? So much vitriol, so much venom...and sooooo unprofessional. You wear your stripes on your sleeve, I see. Not on your shoulder.

Seniority is not theft.

How increadibly arrogant of you to presume that by one man keeping his job, he is denying a job to another. You speak of acting admirably by giving up one's job so that another might have a chance. What utter nonsense!

Should you give up your job now, today, this moment, because someone else could be making a living doing your job, instead? Hardly. Should I give up mine? Hardly.

You don't know me. You don't know my age. You hurl juvinile 14 year old insults and resort to name calling...for what?

I've never crossed a picket line. I've never stolen another's job. I've never been given anything at any point along the way. It's all been earned. Hard earned, at that. Those who think they're entitled to what I've earned had best learn to earn theselves. Over the years I've been burned, cut, shot, crushed, and dealt with fires, explosions, raging passengers, leaking cargo, and freezing nights in the middle of nowhere. Forced landings, stuck controls, no-notice furloughs, and somewhere in there, homeless and without a dime to my name. More than once. Over 60 moves over the years in pursuit or work. Domestic and international. Workin war zones, out of war zones, and in places that make war zones look pleasant. Earned, you see. From crop dusting as a teenager to where I am now, to where ever I may be tomorrow...earned every step of the way. You wish to simply take it? Neither you, nor any other alive, has the money, the power, or the authority to take those experiences away. Most importantly, you haven't the right, and I'm not giving it to you.

I highly doubt you want what I've got...this makes your venom all the more pathetic and laughable. If you're jealous of me, you've got serious problems of your own, and I pity you. You really want my life? Given your sense of entitlement and self-aggrandizement, I doubt you would, or that you could possibly handle it. This is fine. Don't, however, attempt to tell me that I owe you anything. I don't owe you a job, I don't owe you a wage. I don't owe you a retirement. I don't owe you my seat in the cockpit. I owe you nothing.

Nobody else owes you anything either. You want it? You earn it. Simply shut up, and earn it. Until that time, clearly you've nothing more to offer here.

Latest resources

Back