• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 Stinks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There's a dead horse out in the field next door - I'm gonna go beat it.

Exactly. Age 65 is the law. Period.

Game over, goodnight, drive home safely.

I have 19 years over at American.
Now we see the problem: A sky Nazi. No compassion for the older pilots who made your job what it once was, until you screwed it up with Eagle and alike. Your solution to your dilemma was to take away others for the extermination of their right to work so you could take what they had. It all figures now.

In any event, in the end you think you got screwed. That’s fine but one day you’ll realize that age 65 was the best thing possible for everyone as a whole, even you included if you could see the forest through the trees.

BTW: AVBUG really made chopped meat out of you and Floppy too, didn't he? It was really funny to read his posts as he proved over and over that you were a liar in what you wrote. Maybe you were just so brainwashed with the sky Nazi propaganda that you lost your sense of direction to a point that you actually believed what you wrote. Hopefully you understood the corrections in your thinking. I know it will take time, but one day you'll understand how wrong you were and how right the others are.

Last edited:
BTW: AVBUG really made chopped meat out of you and Floppy too, didn't he?

Whoa there punkin! That tool went incomunicado when it became obvious I was just getting warmed up. I'd ask you the same question he chose to ignore, but frankly, I don't care what you think. BTW, I just ran your little "UAL put the fix in" theory to a ground...Dude, they didn't want to hire you!! What the hell makes you think you should displace a potted plant, let alone a legitimate pilot, from any flight crew position when mgt doesn't want you around? They own the seat, don't they? It's not the pilot list, it's the owner/operator. It's fascinating, but even with 65 neither the pilot group nor mgt can keep the pilots they want to keep, but they are forced to keep the duds nobody wants. That's really what this rule is about.

Last edited:
BTW, I just ran your little "UAL put the fix in" theory to a ground...Dude, they didn't want to hire you!!

There you go telling lies too. It was ALPA that put the fix in with UAL so as to keep the peace with the "get out of my seat crowd" which is made up of guys like you. Thanks a lot.

In any event, it's all for the best! I'm really enjoying life with the new challenges it brings, i.e.,vacations, flying, motorcycle touring, etc.

Enjoy your airline work.

Last edited:
What a lousy thread.

Age 65 was probably inevitable, but ALPA & SWAPA pushing it with such enthusiasm has probably permanently killed any enthusiasm I might have for ALPA. I'm 39. Furloughed from what I was hoping to be my retirement job. Maybe I'll make captain someday. 5 years later than anyone fortunate enough to have earned their left seat at their retirement airline courtesy of somebody else retiring at age 60. The beneficiaries of the change to age 65 get 5 extra years at the top of the payscale. The majority of airline pilots get to wait out 5 extra years of lower pay and worse QOL, during what for many of us are supposed to be our peak earning years. Or, for many of us, goodness knows how long of no pay. And what do you think the odds are of the last 5 years of my career paying as well as senior captains make now?? Of the dollar buying as much then?? Of Social Security being worth anything after that? Of taxes being as low as they are today??

So, next time anyone who is over 60 hears or reads someone griping about the rule change, shut up and take it (feel free to change the subject after a minute or two, just say something that sounds sympathetic first). You made out like a bandit financially compared to whomever is complaining. We're not happy, deal with it. Yeah I'm sorry you lost your pension. So did I (and unlike you I never got to have one in the first place, so I won't even get $$$ from the PBGC).

I know life ain't fair. I know that much of what constitutes success in this profession is the result of dumb luck. Listening to an occasional comlaint and giving a sympathetic response is a small price to pay for being one of the lucky ones.

we're taught to respect our elders, but I will never feel the least bit sorry for beating an old krusty to the jumpseat home. Those guys should be on the golf course and hanging out with their grandkids.

Some of us are going to die at 75 ot 80....thats a fact. 10 years is too short to have worked your whole life to enjoy off.

Sad that we have so many people out there that have no hobbies, volunteer aspirations, world travel plans or entrepreneurship to want to retire from this gig. Get a f---ing life.

Whoa there punkin! That tool went incomunicado when it became obvious I was just getting warmed up. I'd ask you the same question he chose to ignore, but frankly, I don't care what you think. BTW, I just ran your little "UAL put the fix in" theory to a ground...Dude, they didn't want to hire you!! What the hell makes you think you should displace a potted plant, let alone a legitimate pilot, from any flight crew position when mgt doesn't want you around? They own the seat, don't they? It's not the pilot list, it's the owner/operator. It's fascinating, but even with 65 neither the pilot group nor mgt can keep the pilots they want to keep, but they are forced to keep the duds nobody wants. That's really what this rule is about.

Did you just say "dude?" Are you really fourteen years old, or simply attempting to sound like a teenager?

If you're just getting warmed up, I think we're safely done here. "Flopgut" has been little more than one big flop, thus far.

So far as unanswered questions, don't blame me for your lack of reading comprehension. All have been addressed. That you're unable to fathom this at even the most basic level is little surprise, given your diatribes here. You've shown considerable inability to reason on even a minimal level...let alone a professional or intellectual one, "dude."

Latest resources

Back