• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 Retirement passes House 390-0

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think we all got that. With the seniority most of us will have at 60 we can choose to work nearly part time with benefits, expecially with the GOP's counteroffer today to raise the Medicare eligibility age to 67.

I'm just counting down the days until we start seeing some movement because, as poking yourself in the eye with a stick, it feels so good when you stop.

and so it begins.....the age 65er group will now lobby for this....67

The "third rail"

...the GOP's counteroffer today to raise the Medicare eligibility age to 67.

Congress has made previous attempts to shift some Medicare costs to seniors, e.g. in 1989. Whether or not it was a good idea, the backlash was so severe that they fled (literally): :eek:

As the Chicago Tribune reported the next day, Aug. 19, 1989:
Congressman Dan Rostenkowski, one of the most powerful politicians in the United States, was booed and chased down a Chicago street Thursday morning by a group of senior citizens after he refused to talk with them about federal health insurance. Shouting "coward," "recall" and "impeach," about 50 people followed the chairman of the U.S. House Ways and Means Committee up Milwaukee Avenue after he left a meeting in the auditorium of the Copernicus Center, 3106 N. Milwaukee Ave., in the heart of his 8th Congressional District on the city's Northwest Side.

Eventually, the 6-foot-4-inch Rostenkowski cut through a gas station, broke into a sprint and escaped into his car, which minutes earlier had one of the elderly protesters, Leona Kozien, draped over the hood. Kozien, one of more than 100 senior citizens who attended the gathering, said she had hoped to talk to Rostenkowski, her congressman, at the meeting.

But Rostenkowski clearly did not want to talk with her, or any of the others who had come to tell their complaints about the high cost of federal catastrophic health insurance. "These people don't understand what the government is trying to do for them," the 61-year-old congressman complained as he tried to outpace his pursuers.

To pilots everywhere, from the CFI waiting to get hired by a regional to the widebody FO waiting to upgrade to the CA wanting to move up a few numbers to improve quality of life, the long pause is over. Ladies and gentlemen, resume your career progression.

To pilots everywhere, from the CFI waiting to get hired by a regional to the widebody FO waiting to upgrade to the CA wanting to move up a few numbers to improve quality of life, the long pause is over. Ladies and gentlemen, resume your career progression.

Huh? You do realize that there are thousands in their late 50s ready to stay thru 65? Stagnation will continue for YEARs.

Huh? You do realize that there are thousands in their late 50s ready to stay thru 65? Stagnation will continue for YEARs.
Retirements resume today where they left off five years go. Stagnation and no hiring due to no retirements for five years has ended.

He's still doing those? I think I got one from him a decade ago. My favorite part was where he talked about how his career would have been even better if he had scabbed at CAL in the '80s. Such a great guy. :rolleyes:
Was that before or after you paid 20K for your job at Gulfstream?

Retirements resume today where they left off five years go. Stagnation and no hiring due to no retirements for five years has ended.

but in effect the damage was done.... we still lose, and we all now have to work to 65 to get the same career we had 5 years ago... Sure I'm happy, but it's still a massive windfall for those who got it, and a massive loss for those of us in our 30's and 40's..

BTW, what about the timing of that crash of the LR25 being piloted by a 78 year old on the final day of the 65 sunset? Not jumping to conclusions but can't help but notice the irony.

Brilliant.....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back