• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 Retirement passes House 390-0

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yep, only instead of being 37 and about to enter the prime of my life in a good position... I'm now 43 and doing so.... anyway it is what it is.

We are almost the same age. I have always tried to be a close observer of my older coworkers and to try and learn something from them; Try to figure out whats ahead. Too often it's an example I want to make sure I can avoid ending up like. Here's one thing I've seen: We all get old real quick. (The kid I strapped a diaper to yesterday is applying to college) At some point there is something that clicks in these old guy's heads and they see things coming to an end. They see where they aren't going to be needed or missed. They don't have anything else. It has nothing to do with whether they love flying or are even good at it. The airplane is going to go whether they are in the left seat calling the shots or not, and that starts to bother them.

At some point there is something that clicks in these old guy's heads and they see things coming to an end. They see where they aren't going to be needed or missed.

That clicked in my head by the time I was about 25. I must be a real advanced thinker or something.

We are almost the same age. I have always tried to be a close observer of my older coworkers and to try and learn something from them; Try to figure out whats ahead. Too often it's an example I want to make sure I can avoid ending up like. Here's one thing I've seen: We all get old real quick. (The kid I strapped a diaper to yesterday is applying to college) At some point there is something that clicks in these old guy's heads and they see things coming to an end. They see where they aren't going to be needed or missed. They don't have anything else. It has nothing to do with whether they love flying or are even good at it. The airplane is going to go whether they are in the left seat calling the shots or not, and that starts to bother them.

Amen brother... I am picking up what you are planting.

By 43, I was on my 4th job in 10 years, and I sill had another 7 jobs to go to get where I am today, a non-sked at KYIP. It has been a ball

Yip, nothing too personal as I don't personally know you, even though I've been debating you for over a decade on here... but if my career goes that much further south where I wind up in YIP in my 60's, I'd sooner just quit now and live in a 500sf apartment while my wife goes back to work as a teacher.

Yip, nothing too personal as I don't personally know you, even though I've been debating you for over a decade on here... but if my career goes that much further south where I wind up in YIP in my 60's, I'd sooner just quit now and live in a 500sf apartment while my wife goes back to work as a teacher.

Seconded. Talk about a waste.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I have had a ball. I am coming out this end is decent shape, no worries about retirement,. I am lucky to still working at a job where I can't wait to get up and go to work in the morning. Which more than I can say about many of the things I see here. I look at what I have done to help guys along in their careers and see them end up in career position at those place I have named before.

Besides my YIP connection go back to my birth. My father was building B-24 Bombers at YIP. He got off work to take my mom to the hospital. I took my first airplane here in 1953, EAL Connie to MIA with my parents at YIP, Soloed here, worked for three airlines here, I have worked in almost every building on the field, still fly the warbirds out of here, so pilotyip fits.

As posted before: After 11 jobs since leaving the Navy, I have adopted another slogan, "Expect nothing and you will never be disappointed” I know it sounds like having no drive, ambition or goals, but that is not the case. There is so much in this business you have absolutely no control over, these effect your job. To fret unnecessarily over those things causes ulcers, it is not worth it. Getting depressed over stupid things that you have no control over is not worth it. By expecting nothing, it will always be better than nothing. Life is a ball.

Seconded. Talk about a waste.
Ditto:laugh:

Last edited:
I have adopted another slogan, "Expect nothing and you will never be disappointed” I know it sounds like having no drive, ambition or goals

Ditto:laugh:

Reminds me of another slogan, "aim low, you'll always hit your mark"

"Expect nothing and you will never be disappointed” I know it sounds like having no drive, ambition or goals, but that is not the case. There is so much in this business you have absolutely no control over, these effect your job. To fret unnecessarily over those things causes ulcers, it is not worth it. Getting depressed over stupid things that you have no control over is not worth it. By expecting nothing, it will always be better than nothing. Life is a ball.

I hesitate to agree with Yip here because imho he takes so many unnecessarily divisive positions and opinions on many subjects but I have to give credit where credit is due.

If you truly are able to live what you post here, you are a blessed man. You just expressed one of the most powerful tenets of the Buddhist philosophy of non attachment in a very accessible way. Kudos.

Wish you could apply some of this to your rabid anti union thinking, but I guess everything has its limits right? :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back