• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 2007

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How about those who have been actively seeking change for over 15 years, having started in their mid to late 30's. Now that they are in their 50's...

Ok, include that small minority....But I think most of us know the majority of pro rule change folks are primarily looking for extra $$$ under the guise of "age discrimination."

a vial is a small container, especially for liquids; vile is an adjective meaning despicable, disgusting, or repulsive

I dont usually say anything but here it goes.
I'm a pilot for Southwest, and my union is fighting age 60. I am against changing the rule only because of the angle my union is using as the selling point. They say its discrimination, but I think its about the money and quality of life. How can anyboby want to work in a discriminatory industry. If only they would be honest about it they would not only get my vote but my respect. I also ask the senior guy's that if they think a retired pilot age 64 should have a shot at coming back with their seniority #. They say sure but at the bottom of the list, now how is that fair. I understand that the industry has changed and that the rules must change with the times but lets drop the discrimination angle. In my opinion, I think the rule will change eventually, I only hope that it will be fair for both young and old pilots. Fly safe...

The age 60 proponents knew the rules when they came into this profession. To change the rules now requires a compelling reason since it will harm a large group of those that came into the profession under the same conditions.

How about if the senior guys decided that they wanted to take away 15% of the junior guys' paychecks and keep it for themselves? Would that be fair? That's in reality what they are doing by arbitrarily changing a long-standing working condition that benefits them. I don't want to work in this stinking profession past 60 and have planned my career that way. The raising the age whores are trying to steal money out of my pocket by prolonging furlough time and delaying upgrade. It's as simple as that.

I agree I'm a Pilot at NJA and we have pilots that are in there 70's that are still flying it B's. alot of guys have said they were gonna retire after they got the last of there big signing bonus but guess what none had and none will it's all about greed and the Baby Boomer way of life thinking that as long as they have there's they don't care about the other crews.

I've heard alot of stupid replies from some of these 70 year old farts flying the Falcon saying " I don't Need the Money", "I just Do it cuz my wife wants me out of the house" That is the biggest load of ******************** I have ever heard! if you don't need the money pick up a hobbie Golf, fishing playing with the grand kids etc. if you still have the bug to fly go do some contract flying part time.

But to say you would rather be gone 14 days out of the month getting 10 -12 hours rest on overnights and slinging bags all day well thats aload of crap. I know I just hijacked the airline thread but we have the same problem over here as you guys do. as far as Hoot Gibson goes crying that he's not ready to retire I bet if you went back 10 or 15 years and asked him should the age 60 limit be raised he'll say HELL NO! oh and Im in my mid 30's and I can say I don't want to fly past 60.

Uh, yeah, nice study.

Get a life, go play golf or something. I hate being on trips with someone whose entire identity is defined by being a pilot. Shallow, embarrassing to be with.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back