• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 2007

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
oh ryan this a pilot board stop dealing in reality. It is only self serving if it is some one else's position.

Self serving is looking to your coworkers for a raise and letting your company and the govt off the hook. We are ALL just employees. You're not supposed to steal money from your fellow employees. If you need more dough, get a job. Or get a raise, we'll be glad to help with that! Or maybe even...offer a COMPROMISE??? Why not people?! Like: Pay protect the junior folks. Or go to FO when you turn +60. Or maybe when you turn +60 you should let one of us write your wrinkly, scaly butt off our taxes! Why not? You're going to cost us more money than a child dependant!

I'm sorry, but most of those wanting an 60 rule change are those who are 55+, who benefited their whole careers from this rule and now want to extend their top scale salaries for 5 additional years, at the expense of everyone else (increased LTD and health care costs, decreased profit sharing, diluted wages on future contracts, stagnant movement, etc.) I would call that much more "vial, selfish, and self serving" than wanting the status quo or a phased in rule change.

No I'm sorry, but he didn't specify that the major proponents of age 65 were 55+. If he had then I wouldn't have said a word, but he didn't. He just lumped everyone together into the "Age 65 crowd". I bet there are quite a few 30/40 somethings who have seen the turmoil that can happen in this industry and wouldnt mind having the opportunity to fly til 65 at a 121 carrier.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but anyone who opposes 65 and cites not being able to upgrade quicker as a reason while calling those who support it vial, selfish and self serving needs to put the stones down or build a house that isn't made of glass. In this case, both groups are acting selfish. The biggest argument for 65 is that Europeans are allowed into our airspace. The biggest argument against it is that, if enacted, the copilot needs to be under 60 (what kind of message does that send?). Spare me the safety arguments, the arguments that "So we should do what the French do?" and the "Get out of my seat" arguments.

No I'm sorry, but he didn't specify that the major proponents of age 65 were 55+. If he had then I wouldn't have said a word, but he didn't. He just lumped everyone together into the "Age 65 crowd". I bet there are quite a few 30/40 somethings who have seen the turmoil that can happen in this industry and wouldnt mind having the opportunity to fly til 65 at a 121 carrier.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but anyone who opposes 65 and cites not being able to upgrade quicker as a reason while calling those who support it vial, selfish and self serving needs to put the stones down or build a house that isn't made of glass. In this case, both groups are acting selfish. The biggest argument for 65 is that Europeans are allowed into our airspace. The biggest argument against it is that, if enacted, the copilot needs to be under 60 (what kind of message does that send?). Spare me the safety arguments, the arguments that "So we should do what the French do?" and the "Get out of my seat" arguments.
Good comments. I'm one of those 40 somethings that thinks using a safety rule for career progression is a crock. When the limit changes to 65 the unions can negotiate better pay for FO's based on the number of age 60+ pilots on staff.

So, judging by your sarcastic logic

Nothing sarcastic about it. I've finally seen the light and come over to the other side. I'm just following the lead of the rest of the anti change crowd and am writing all Senators and Congressmen with the safety concerns that have been so eloquently outlined here on FI. I encourage everyone to do the same, feel free to use my list as an example. I have also made up a bag tag in support of no change:

Get out of MY seat old man
(for safety reasons of course!)

I bet there are quite a few 30/40 somethings who have seen the turmoil that can happen in this industry and wouldnt mind having the opportunity to fly til 65 at a 121 carrier.

The only people I have any respect for in the pro-change crowd are those who you describe, the younger ones who are more principled and are less likely to be looking at lining their pockets at their younger co-worker's expense.

In this case, both groups are acting selfish.

True, but I think there's a significantly higher degree of selfishness associated with those who are nearing age 60 and want to extend their time at the top earnings scale verses those wanting the status quo maintained. I'm already paying for their SS retirement, now I have to pay for their 5 extra years of 6 figure salary?

Last edited:
This IS a safety issue. It's a durable rule that we have in fact grown into over the years, and it works. Remember: Changes relaxing 02 mask requirements were close to reality prior to Cypress. This is another rule that has served us well we don't need to relax.

O-Ryan: Here is why you can "lump them all together": They are the minority and don't care about the affects on collective bargaining. They want more, and are happy to take from their peers. "Ingredients" are falling into place for pilot labor to take back what we lost. Let's try to get everyone a raise by getting the dollars back into these contracts. Let's not squander it by accepting a 20% longer career as a "raise". This will bring to a halt the growing liklihood of additional money from our employers and simultaneously reduce the portion of dollars already going to our junior members. It's bad policy, you don't run any sort of concern that way.

Question:

The only people I have any respect for in the pro-change crowd are those who you describe, the younger ones who are more principled and are less likely to be looking at lining their pockets at their younger co-worker's expense.

How about those who have been actively seeking change for over 15 years, having started in their mid to late 30's. Now that they are in their 50's...why should they suddenly be deemed and branded "selfish"???

How about those who have been actively seeking change for over 15 years, having started in their mid to late 30's. Now that they are in their 50's...why should they suddenly be deemed and branded "selfish"???

What percentage of the current "Abolish Age 60" crowd has been actively seeking change for over the last 15 years - half of which were some of the best times in aviation history?

I'd wager less than 5%.

Latest resources

Back