• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
Would you agree the pilot whose age enables this operation deserves more/premium pay? Would you support that?

Now wait a minute for the past 20 years I never got extra pay for being under 60. All you under 60 guys knew the rules when you hired on, captains get paid more. Now you want to change rules you knew about coming in? How about all you under 60 guys give up your seat to the commuter pilots? That is their F/O slot you are hogging.

Now tell me its not about greed. The entitlement generation speaks again.

Mine Mine Mine

Would you agree the pilot whose age enables this operation deserves more/premium pay? Would you support that?

Why would any pilot object to increasing any crewmember's pay? Certainly I have no objection. So go for it.......if you can get it.

Yea, and it is not about greed for you is it. Its about discrimination. Right.

And you call me an idiot.

We will just have to agree that we disagree, meanwhile I will wait for somebody to defend the rationalization of an under 60 guy in the cockpit if its not a safety/health issue. I realize, Undaunted, that the law change will mimic the ICAO standard. What I would like is for one person to explain the logic and rationale behind the need for an under 60 guy, not try to impress me with a test they took from the JAA years ago.

Still nobody has even come close to explaining that rationale, and the reason is because you can't.

Keep trying though, I would love to hear it.

FJ

Yea, and it is not about greed for you is it. Its about discrimination. Right.

And you call me an idiot.

We will just have to agree that we disagree, meanwhile I will wait for somebody to defend the rationalization of an under 60 guy in the cockpit if its not a safety/health issue. I realize, Undaunted, that the law change will mimic the ICAO standard. What I would like is for one person to explain the logic and rationale behind the need for an under 60 guy, not try to impress me with a test they took from the JAA years ago.

Still nobody has even come close to explaining that rationale, and the reason is because you can't.

FJ

FJ,

You'll understand someday.:beer: Just like some day you may be a F/O or Captain. ;) The logic matters little, probably less than your opinion. The authorities of the world have agreed that the age 60 limitation for airline pilots is no longer valid, if it ever was. Some authorities think there should be no limit, some think it should be 66 or 67, some think it should be 65 with no other restrictions, some think age 65 with the one pilot under the age of 60. It has been agreed to use the age 65 with the one pilot under age 60 rule until more data can be collected.

The bottom line is that it has been agreed that age 60 is no longer valid. The age 60 rule will be history, just a matter of how that change is implemented.:beer:

Last edited:
FJ I think the answer to your "under 60 guy in the cockpit" is purely political:
Incrementalism

The over/under age 60 stays in place for some period then the under 60 rule goes away at some point in the future when it has become more politically easy to swallow. Standard politics these days.

Please continue to think about how B plans came into being. One element in their creation was age 60 pilot retirement. I agree, B plans are all we have left going forward. However, that doesn't make them secure; In this airline mgt environment, that just makes them the next target. This is just one example of pitfalls we continue to face and why age 65 is a lateral step.

FYI, When the B plan was created, ALPA was officially opposed to age 60. I will say again, the B plan was created totally and only as a back up just in case the company went broke and that DB plan was terminated. And in fact, a “B” (DC) plan makes more sense and is more compatible with an older retirement age, such as age 65. As with any DC plan, the longer you work the more secure your eventual retirement.

Regarding the security of the B plan, since the funds are held totally independent from the company, the B plan is as secure as your bank account or your personal Schwab account.

You fought B scale and have a battlestar to show for it. But now, you're pushing an age change with junior pilots still on the street. This large scale change amounts to 15-20% of a pilots working years and includes no provision to mitigate detriment to junior pilots. OUCH! Think back to the day you got that battlestar, what would you think of this at that time of your career? Basically, you're sort of creating a B scale with this change, actually worse.

The issue is much simpler than all of this. It's now about discrimination against Americans. Every citizen should advocate no discrimination against anyone, and that certainly includes Americans.

I can acknowledge that even with a change, those who are junior will eventually have a chance to be senior. However, they aren't going to enjoy the 5 year windfall you will. They will have to work half those years just to make up what they lost, and that's the best case scenario. That's not how collective bargaining works! That's not what earned you the battlestar!

It is true that when the age changes those under age 60 will be the most fortunate, and unfortunately it is those over age 60 that are the ones being hurt. Every pilot under age 60, all the way to the kid in flight school is going to come out ahead in terms of total dollars earned and retirement security following the age change.

I empathize with your need to work. I'd like to see you get a good deal. But, I don't think it's too much to ask, that as you push this age change you also consider how to help ALL of us. When you say "A plans are gone for good" or "B plan contributions may end age 60 or 65" I seriously doubt you want to help all of us. If AA comes through all this with an A plan in tact, you better change your tune and get ready to secure something similiar (albeit more secure) for your UAL bretheren. I don't think you're interested in helping all your UAL brothers and that's why I don't think you should be on the list in 09.
If I could be sure you wanted to help everyone, I would help you
All Defined Benefit retirement plans, including Social Security, are under threat at all times. The problem is that unions in the post WWII days until recently, when America was the only real industrial power, have negotiated very generous retirement packages for employees who now days live ten years longer than they used to. Example: At General Motors workers can retire at age 48 with 30 years of service and collect 80% of pay for very possibly 30 years to a typical life expectancy of 78. In other words a typical worker can work for 30 years and retire for 30 years. How can this continue? It can not, if GM is to survive and stay competitive with the global market for car production. So the same is true for the Airlines and their DB programs. The American airlines must compete in a world market and a domestic market too. If United, SW, Jet Blue, Air Tran, Delta, US Air, NWA, Frontier, all the Regionals and soon Virgin America all have DC plans, how can any American airline maintain a DB plan with pilots being hired at 40 years old and then retiring at 60, then collecting a generous retirement for possibly 20 or 25 more years.

Considering the above, really, if American Airlines has any hope of keeping their DB plan, the age must be changed to age 65 to reduce their pension liability.

And if you consider the changes in the typical airline pilot's career where pilots typically work for a commuter or two or three and then maybe a corporate job too, it's too destructive to any pension expectation to have anything other than a DC plan where the retirement money in the 401k plan can so easily be transferred from job to job.

Last edited:

Clearly, there has been an expressed concern about changing the age 60 rule in America, so this is just that first step to appease those views. Eventually, the part about one pilot being under age 60 will go away. Bureaucracies make changes one step at a time.

In fifty years when science developes an anti-aging hormone, the retirement age will go to maybe 67, with one pilot under age 65

Last edited:
Why would any pilot object to increasing any crewmember's pay? Certainly I have no objection. So go for it.......if you can get it.

Well, I appreciate your willingness to consider this. It is additional responsibility and should warrant additional pay. In an accident/incident scenario additional scrutiny IS going to be focused on the <60 pilot. It is unfortunate the additional reponsibility does not come with additional authority, it should at least include the pay. Most of the 60+ pilots are going to be captains initially; the <60 FO that makes this possible won't be any closer to the tiller, but if the jet leaves the payment, everyones going to be pointing a finger at them like never before, IMHO.

RE: B plans, what I'm saying is: If you had the money, you wouldn't have to work. It is too defeatest for you to say AA is not going to hold on to theirs. (I think they will) If they can keep one, then that is what we all need to shoot for in the coming years. Not a DB per say, but something of equal value for sure. I would hope the APAAD crowd and pilots like yourself can immediately turn and focus on broad based improvements in the future and not go back to the thinking: how can we help ourselves? Example: I want the money back and I want to retire at 60. In your scheme, I lose money permantently and if you need more your coming back to me. In my scheme, I want to see pilots senior AND junior to me get their money back. What's not to like about my plan?

Now wait a minute for the past 20 years I never got extra pay for being under 60. All you under 60 guys knew the rules when you hired on, captains get paid more. Now you want to change rules you knew about coming in? How about all you under 60 guys give up your seat to the commuter pilots? That is their F/O slot you are hogging.

Now tell me its not about greed. The entitlement generation speaks again.

Mine Mine Mine

Wow! You really revealed yourself there. Good job!

Latest resources

Back