• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
I love your logic here. How much time, energy and resources did you put into pursuing your present job? I am guessing by your avatar you are at FEDEX so you have a secure position with tremendous growth ahead of you but are willing to give it up because you disagree with a law change.

Do you think before speaking or are you just plain stupid? Make sure you tell your kids when they are older how you gave up a pretty good gig at FEDEX because someone over 60 was allowed to continue working. I'm sure they will be very proud of you and the stand you took.

No, I don't think, I am just stupid. Thanks for your concern.

Anybody want to try to answer my question? Somebody please explain to me why an under 60 guy has to be in the cockpit. Anybody.

How about this over 60 dudes. Since you aren't qualified to be the PIC unless the under 60 guy is in the other seat, you aren't really qualified, so the under 60 guy should be the PIC. He doesn't need you to be there. So are all of the over 60 guys willing to go to the FO list in order to continue to fly?

That is just as logical as having to have a babysitter for the old guys.

Crickets chirping.............................................................

FJ

Anybody want to try to answer my question? Somebody please explain to me why an under 60 guy has to be in the cockpit. Anybody.

How about this over 60 dudes. Since you aren't qualified to be the PIC unless the under 60 guy is in the other seat, you aren't really qualified, so the under 60 guy should be the PIC. He doesn't need you to be there. So are all of the over 60 guys willing to go to the FO list in order to continue to fly?

FJ

I like how your thinking, but I would stop short of not going to work. Look for an opportunity instead, for instance: Your thesis is perfect, why does one pilot have to be under 60? That under 60 pilot becomes very "key" to the operation and bears additional responsibiity. I think a pilot serving in that capacity (<60, enabling a 60+ pilot the opportunity to work) should get captain's pay. Or in the case of a <60 captain, premium pay. Age change guys should have no problem supporting that, right?

Yes you do see a trend. The trend is that you still haven't been able to come up with a single rational explanation for the need to have one under 60 guy in the cockpit, yet continue to spew insults and call people names. Excellent way to convince people that you are right.

I have already conceded that you are the wise and experienced one and that I could never be worthy to pull the gear handle for you (not that I ever would since I know who you are), so now why don't you try to make one even slight argument to convince me why we need an under 60 guy to babysit the over 60 guy. Please. Address the issue for once instead of the smug, arrogant responses with the gay little smile faces in an effort to convince us that you are just kidding around. Come on, at least try.

And if I were to stage a sick out and lose my job, guess what, I will at least leave with my dignity and integrity intact. I will be able to sleep at night and I will find another way to support my family. You may not want me to be your FO, and that is fine. But if the law follows the ICAO standard, after you turn 60, you will NEED me as an FO.

FJ

You are correct. There is not one single reasonable reason for the requirement to have one pilot under age 60 in the cockpit. Neither of the original bills had such a requirement. ICAO had adopted the JAA rules that have been in effect for a number of years with out a problem.

I'm sure you've had little or no experience in the way thing work in Europe but you would find that the JAA is very, very conservative in their rules. The FAA requires one writtn exam for the ATP, the JAA requires 14 writtens. Years ago I had to take just one, the British Performance "A". The exam consisted of four questions, and you were allowed 4 hours to complete it. It was based on a large 4 engine turboprop, the Britania. One thick performance book of performance graphs for the aircraft, and a pad of graph paper to show your work.

These are the same people that changed the age to 65 years ago, with the one pilot under age 60 rule. These are the most conservative aviatiion authorities in the world, yet they have changed to age 65.

Why the pilot under age 60? Probably the same reason flight crews are required to go through the same security as the passengers. God help us if the flight crew may have a sharp object! Jeez the Captain may take control of the flight!!:bawling: No it just makes some of the ignorant comfortable. :(

FJ
I've changed my mind, you are not an idiot. You are on to something so you should stage your protest and get fired. This industry doesn't need a bunch of F/O's who now think they are PIC. Better luck in your next career.

Pilots are not required to go through the same security as the passengers.

They're only required to go through an approved screening process to enter the sterile area. Whether that is administered by the TSA or the airline, it is of no consequence to the TSA.

Wow! You have no idea what you're talking about yet again! :laugh:

Last edited:
Pilots are not required to go through the same security as the passengers.

They're only required to go through an approved screening process to enter the sterile area. Whether that is administered by the TSA or the airline, it is of no consequence to the TSA.

Wow! You have no idea what you're talking about yet again! :laugh:

Hmm! Those crews I always see going through security must have gotten lost! I do recall a USAIR pilot arrested at PHL over the issue.:(

Hmm! Those crews I always see going through security must have gotten lost! I do recall a USAIR pilot arrested at PHL over the issue.:(

Right. And as usual you have no idea what the issue at hand is, pappy.

You keep working on it, and get someone to help you with that drool on your chin.

I'll say it again. Flightcrews are not required to go through TSA security.

Somebody please explain to me why an under 60 guy has to be in the cockpit. Anybody.

This is a very easy question.

Everthing is being driven by the ICAO rule change. The US rule will be changing to the restriction of one pilot being under age 60 while the other can be up to age 65 because that is the ICAO rule. The US wants to be in harmony with the rest of the world.

That was easy! Hit the button!

This is a very easy question.

Everthing is being driven by the ICAO rule change. The US rule will be changing to the restriction of one pilot being under age 60 while the other can be up to age 65 because that is the ICAO rule. The US wants to be in harmony with the rest of the world.

That was easy! Hit the button!

Would you agree the pilot whose age enables this operation deserves more/premium pay? Would you support that?

Right. And as usual you have no idea what the issue at hand is, pappy.

You keep working on it, and get someone to help you with that drool on your chin.

I'll say it again. Flightcrews are not required to go through TSA security.

OK, Sonny!:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back