Aeronautical Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jafo20 said:
Also, radio useage is non-regulated. If the frequency isn't congested, there's nothing wrong with ATC talking about sports scores or pilots saying "on the meter" or whatever. If the frequency is congested, don't gab.

Like around late Saturday afternoon/early evening (6pm'ish) I've found in western CO and throughout most of UT.

I used to regularly fly across the greater Phoenix area (airport hopping) in the middle of the night and have had numerous chats with ATC while doing it.

We were both keeping the other one from falling asleep.

jafo20 said:
People who don't shut up at uncontrolled strips cause frustration, but it sounds like the guy was just trying to play nice with you. Cut the guy some slack.

No slack for this guy, he wouldn't stop, he was playing controller. I saw this guy a lot at the school and he was (Is) a real dork...

Oh yeah, if you are going to correct somebody on radio/flight procedures (and it is not an immediate safety issue) save it for on the ground.

I don't have so much a problem with small radio lapses (such as 'with you') because you can get busy up there sometimes and don't always have time to respond to the radio in the correct manner...and it is just not worth getting worked up over.

Its definitley the instructor's fault sometimes...but it is also the students responsibility to make sure to use the correct procedures (its in the FAR-AIM, is it not?)

If you have problems with radio procedures, get a tape recorder and a scanner and record your self and play it back, and listen to other pilots on the scanner to see what the do/do not do correctly. It may seem stupid, but it can really help improve your radio ettiquite.

Pilots who insisted on discussing their political, religious and moral beliefs in the cockpit. (I'll get more out of reading the instructions on the vomit bag)

Approach, Departure, and tower controllers in Phoenix, AZ

Anyone who is under the impression that they are so special they demand that all "all other traffic please advise"

Mental Giants who start their radio calls with "UUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" (think it through then press the button)

Guys at uncontrolled fields that listen to 3 or 4 airplanes make radio calls in the pattern such as "so and so, downwind for runway 9" wait for a gap on CTAF then use it to call unicom and ask "which runway is the active today"

The AMF pilot in the Lance at PHX that in the middle of rush hour ate up 7000 feet of runway getting his Lance down and stopped, forcing me to have to go around and spend another 30 minutes circling outside class B waiting to getting sequenced in again. (Thank you sir....you are an inspiration to us all)

Guys who after being handed off to another controller end their reply to the previous controller with "SSSSSEEEEEEEE YYYAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!. (Your are not a VJ for MTV just say thank you and carry on with your day)

The CAP pilot I saw taxiing out in an old Mooney with a current issue military flight helmet on and the damn visor down. (anyone who feels this is necessary equipment to fly a 40 year old Mooney needs to be locked in a portable toilet and set on fire!)

Last edited:
JimG said:
Radio hogs doing touch and goes at uncontrolled airports.

"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X departing runway x.... ABC"
"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X upwind runway x...ABC"
"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X left crosswind runway x....ABC"
"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X left downwind runway x... ABC"
"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X left base runway x... ABC"
"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X turning final runway x... ABC"
"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X short final touch and go runway x... ABC"

Or ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X turning left final runway x... ABC

Tailwheelman said:
Pilots who insisted on discussing their political, religious and moral beliefs in the cockpit. (I'll get more out of reading the instructions on the vomit bag)

Approach, Departure, and tower controllers in Phoenix, AZ

Anyone who is under the impression that they are so special they demand that all "all other traffic please advise"

Guys who after being handed off to another controller end their reply to the previous controller with "SSSSSEEEEEEEE YYYAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!. (Your are not a VJ for MTV just say thank you and carry on with your day)

The CAP pilot I saw taxiing out in an old Mooney with a current issue military flight helmet on and the dang visor down. (anyone who feels this is necessary equipment to fly a 40 year old Mooney needs to be locked in a portable toilet and set on fire!)

Who do you fly the Twin Beech for? I hope to get a chance to fly one some day.

Tailwheelman said:

It's not just pilots who do this.

I've heard controllers carry on with this crap and wondered WTH?

4fanman said:
Any traffic please advise...

I just heard this peeve yesterday, again. Some guy picking up his clearance with ground control...."Ground, Citation xxx clearance on request to KXXX.." That's a phrase that the controller uses when he/she doesn't have your clearance right away, not for the pilot requesting the clearance. I've noticed that this seems to be popular with ex-mil guys. Is that how they pick up the clearance in the military?

Yes, you are correct. Standard phraseology goes something like this...
"Clearance, Bulldog 44 IFR to BFE, clearance on request, ready to copy"
Some guys, such as myself, who are military but fly civilian airplanes to civilian fields don't neccessarily say that when they're asking for you IFR.

Latest resources

Back