Aeronautical Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JimG said:
Radio hogs doing touch and goes at uncontrolled airports.

"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X departing runway x.... ABC"
"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X upwind runway x...ABC"
"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X left crosswind runway x....ABC"
"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X left downwind runway x... ABC"
"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X left base runway x... ABC"
"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X turning final runway x... ABC"
"ABC traffic, Cessna 1234X short final touch and go runway x... ABC"

A comment to this... i would rather be proactive than not. I would rather have people know where I am at all times than have no clue and have a mid air.... granted you could take out a couple of those but still...

I agree with you Quazar, I'd rather be (just a little) annoyed with lots of traffic calls, than none at all. (this is one of my peeves).

Other "Wind Check", It's either, "still calm", or just as windy as it was. Fly the D@mn airplane.

or; Don't slam the door!

sky37d said:
172 pilots who fly the G/S at 100 kts

Can't agree with you.

If the pilot feels that's what is safe for him/her, then so be it. Who am I to tell someone else what speed to fly the GS at?

"With you" & "This is" are two of my biggest.

Also, not using "Roger" "Negative" "Affirmative" and "Wilco" in the proper way.

I heard this the other day
"Baron 123, radar contact climb and maintain 6000, direct XYZ when able"
"Affirmative"
WTFO?

-mini

FN FAL said:
I'm forced to wear a uniform, but with that, I'm forced to NOT kneel and load the plane.

I'll buy the pretty shirts on my expense account and not bend over, thank you very mucho.

Bellhop the night awaaaay my pretty !

folks that pull out onto the runway, without telling anyone on short final that they are.

QuasarZ said:
A comment to this... i would rather be proactive than not. I would rather have people know where I am at all times than have no clue and have a mid air.... granted you could take out a couple of those but still...

That's my point. I announce throughout the pattern, within reason, but I keep base, final and runway clearance calls abbreviated with tail number and position only.

It's when you start out your announcement with "ABC traffic", slowly state what you're doing and end it with "ABC aiport".....everywhere.

I'm all for position reports, but when the pattern's busy and you have a guy saying ALL that information on EVERY position....nobody else can get their position report in, which creates a safety issue somewhere else.

Pilots that say "ready to go" in place of "ready for departure". Or any other slang used on the radio.

Pilots that taxi so close to the hold short line that you can't see it from the cockpit.

40 year old ramp rats that ask "are you old enough to fly ?"

landlover said:
Pilots that say "ready to go" in place of "ready for departure". Or any other slang used on the radio.

How aboot "Tower, N123AB ready ON runway 24". I hope you're not on it. Especially if I'm rolling out on final.

This is pretty dumb, but here goes...

people who say their callsigns without using the phonetic letters. Example: 123BM is "one two three bravo mike" not "bee em". That always bugged me.

Also, with all the fuss about runway incursions, you'd think that it would be okay to take the time to actually read back things like "runway 9L, position and hold..." instead of "on the hold". Tower is not a busy frequency. Save the cool abbreviated readbacks for ground (unless it involves a runway).

If you are a professional, at least try to sound like it on the radio.

Latest resources

Back