• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just to be clear, we are in status quo and we will conduct no job action.

Several members are realizing that it is morally unacceptable to do the work of another man, when pilots are being forced out work because the company claims there is not enough work to keep them on the payroll. This is a personal decision.

Additionally, constantly changing one's circadian rhythm makes this job extremely challenging. So when your schedule unexpectantly changes due to being forced to fly when you were expecting to be off; it makes sleep planning and management impossible. Eventually exhaustion and fatigue set in. Hopefully no one pushes safety in fear of management reprisals. When a pilot judges himself to be too fatigued to safely perform his duties, it is a personal decision. The company can't tell him he is rested and the union can't tell him he is tired. Both would be wrong. It is a personal decision.

When I heard the bad news I thought here we go again. But I have been surprised by a larger number of senior overtimers who have pledged to stop doing things that facilitate the layoff of fellow workers.

For those on the fence, it is never too late to do the right thing.

I think one of the reasons this time might be different is that many pilots feel the company violated a trust. Given the high frequency of junior manning and the company's reliance on people flying open time; there is no arguing that the airline is not under-staffed. There has been a lot of going the extra mile over the past 4 years so ABX could save money and look good for DHL. The pilots were also pretty open minded on creative ways to make ANA work. Now, in the 11th hour of negotiations and ANA kicking off we get a punch in the stomach. A lot of goodwill was killed in one day.
excellent

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with vacation buy back as we all get the opportunity to take it for ourselves, but too much OPF being inequitably distributed on a seniority takes all basis causes many problems.

Unfortunately we do have several whores in our midst prepared to put paycheck over quality of life and like pigs slurping at the trough they're going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming from what they believe to be theirs.

It's always been a problem here which at times becomes more apparent than at others. Ex Air Midwest (senior few) forming an alliance with PFEs (flying mechanics) against a majority who have little in common with either clique. I'd like to see an end to OPF and a real term pay rise which isn't based upon flying overtime trips. 15 days a month is enough, 23 in Japan is a joke but not one to be laughed at.

Two individuals with horrible training histories showing marginal competence have just been put into the right seat of the DC-9; they're taking jobs away from real pilots. Our ( your?) union went to bat for them.Think about that and look at where the bulk of OPF is going and you'll get the big picture.

Butt Out, RHOID.

You're not part of this group, quit pretending to be

I never claimed I was part of the nifty-fifty or for that matter, the golden ninety. I petitioned but my membership was denied because my career wasn't yet washed up as I was employed after ABX became a viable career choice but prior to being sold down the acmi river:)

I understand your trepidation on the OPF issue. Maybe 1224 needs a twelve step program to help those who want to quit but cannot. OPF anonymous. We could even have interventions for those who continue to abuse this apparent crack-like epidemic at ABX.

It's important to protect your seniority. Just try not to marginalize those underneath you.

Super Proffer award is out. 14 of the 17 FO's coming from the 9 right seat. I didn't look much at the CA awards, but I did recognize several 9 CA's in there.

At least 13 of the captains are coming from the left seat of the 9. I would have bet both seats would have gone much more junior than they did. Hopefully they will start to backfill the 9C seats and maybe even the 8 too.

"We are pleased with our charter results during what is traditionally a soft quarter for ACMI markets," stated Hete. "The outlook for the remainder of the year is encouraging. We expect to deploy five more Boeing 767 in 2007 along with one in 2008 for a total of thirteen aircraft in this segment."

SIX MORE aircraft to fly ACMIwithin a year, yet we are overstaffed!?!

They are going to add 6 767's but what about the end of the 8 sometime this fall and the rumors of parking 12 more 9's?

Here is what our illustrious leader wrote in his last WIGO. Seems funny he is asking for us to "step up" and work with the company to help move in a new direction, then just a few days later, they insist that a cost cutting move is what we the company must have to excel.

I say we "step up" and do the right thing for our careers...tell management that moral boosters like furloughs aren't going to make this ANA thing work. Tell them that negotiating a good contract will enable us to really work with them and make us a player in Asia. The pilots are the ones that will make this thing great or a failure, not management.

Chief Pilot Perspective:

As pilots we’re used to having all available information before we step to our jet. We start with knowing where we are, where we’re going, everything in-between and even an alternate plan should the first plan not work. Most of the decisions during the trip are in our control or at least under our direct supervision. Business is much the same in a general sense.

In business you know where you are and where you want (or need) to go. The individual, however, as part of the larger plan, doesn’t have direct control over the decisions or the same level of detail as the pilot of their own flight. Just as in a flight, business decisions and opportunities must be acted upon in a timely manner because if you put everything off until you’re sure of it, you’ll get nothing done and the opportunity may be lost. That’s where trust and faith in the system come into play.

Sometimes, in order to take advantage of an opportunity, we have to take action without all the details which not easy for us pilot types. Over 20 years ago a few crewmembers signed up to fly the DC-8. Despite the uncertainty of training, schedules, and the like, this initial cadre of crewmembers pulled together to bring ABX into the "heavy" airlift market. With extreme professionalism they made that defining moment for our company possible and directly contributed to the double-digit growth we enjoyed during that time. We have another opportunity, of potentially greater proportion, to move ABX into the Global market by partnering with Air Transport World’s "2006 Airline of the Year" All Nippon Airways (ANA).

To capitalize on this opportunity we will have to act without every detail of information. Admittedly, we don’t have all the specifics for the startup of this operation, so we must work out of our comfort zone. But just as things worked out for the adventurous initial cadre in the DC-8, the system will take care of those willing to step up to make our global opportunity and growth a reality.

Are you up to the challenge?

That’s it for this WIGO

Work Smart, Work Hard, Have Fun, and Fly Safe!

Mike

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back