Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

This was my email response:

Mr. Vollmer,
I almost choked on the irony of your selected quote for the most recent WIGO. The company has most assuredly put EVERYTHING off regarding ANA until they were "sure of it" and, thus, have gotten nothing done. Allow me to share another quote, "A failure to plan is a plan to fail." Without a negotiated agreement in place, I cannot imagine how the Company can ever hope to be successful in a Global expansion of flying, especially without a sufficient crew force.

Unassigned flying has reached unprecedented levels, MIA is planned with ZERO reserves and we have SIX additional aircraft entering ACMI service in the next year and yet the company callously decides to play with the livelihood of 10 crewmembers.

Should the Company decide to work WITH the Crewmembers, there will be no limit to what we can accomplish together, but unilaterally imposed actions which even violate the current contract do not bode well. I sincerely hope the Company does not continue on its current path.

This was my email response:

Mr. Vollmer,
I almost choked on the irony of your selected quote for the most recent WIGO. The company has most assuredly put EVERYTHING off regarding ANA until they were "sure of it" and, thus, have gotten nothing done. Allow me to share another quote, "A failure to plan is a plan to fail." Without a negotiated agreement in place, I cannot imagine how the Company can ever hope to be successful in a Global expansion of flying, especially without a sufficient crew force.

Unassigned flying has reached unprecedented levels, MIA is planned with ZERO reserves and we have SIX additional aircraft entering ACMI service in the next year and yet the company callously decides to play with the livelihood of 10 crewmembers.

Should the Company decide to work WITH the Crewmembers, there will be no limit to what we can accomplish together, but unilaterally imposed actions which even violate the current contract do not bode well. I sincerely hope the Company does not continue on its current path.

Nicely done. Can't wait to hear his response, although I will probably have cobwebs collect on me before he does.

Yeah, and another chief pilot when asked just last week in CRM if there would be furloughs unhesitantly said " we're not even looking at that right now..."

Well if this is a cost-generated decision, they should be recalling as each retiree goes. Each captain retire should bring back 2 fo's.

Here's the party line...for this he makes 1.1 million

TO: All Flight Crewmembers

FROM: Bob Morgenfeld, Sr.Vice President, Flight Operations

SUBJECT: Furloughs

This is to advise of the furlough of ten crewmembers. As many of you have noticed, DHL continues to struggle in the US market. As DHL works toward profitability, ABX is under enormous pressure to reduce costs and find ways to be more efficient. As one of DHL’s principal vendors, one can understand the challenge that it faces. Nonetheless these reductions are very difficult in light of the superior service that together we here at ABX have demonstrated over the past three and a half years. Nonetheless there is no denying that the volume of DHL flying that we do has diminished and the number of ABX aircraft in DHL service has significantly declined. The loss in the DC9 flying alone exceeds 20%.

ABX management has reviewed its entire operation and the furloughs of our crewmembers are a part of a company wide reduction effort. The total reduction in force affected 55 employees and approximately 133 positions. We are advised that DHL is continuing its on-going reviews to see what other flying can be eliminated so at this time we are unable to say that there will be no further reductions in flight crewmembers. There has also been a significant shift in the ABX fleet and that shift is not over. For example, by the end of the year, the DC8 will be all but gone. The crew force will continue to be adjusted in line with the changes such as is currently being done for the DC9 captain seat. All adjustments will continue to be impacted by the demand for our services from DHL.

We are looking for more charter work to fill the void and grow our business. While some in-roads have been made due to our unique position with the B767, we are challenged in this competitive environment. Our combination of higher wages and restrictive scheduling rules that others vying for the ACMI business do not have, makes our challenge even greater.

There is practically nothing that can be said which would soften the effect of the furlough. It is an opportunity however for all of us to redouble our efforts to find ways to grow our existing business. ABX will continue to look for more charter opportunities to increase that business and the flying that comes with it. While there are no guarantees, we hope that the decrease in DHL flying will have bottomed out by the end of the year. Job security is based upon providing a product/service that customers want at a price that they are willing to pay. We need to work together to build that security and hopefully be in a position to welcome back those that have been furloughed before too much time passes.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact a member of the Flight Management and/or your Chief Pilot.

I am an army of One - A crewmember in the Abx army.
For years I was a loyal soldier in Hette’s army. Now I fight my own war.
I used to feel valued and respected. Now I know I am mere fodder.
They (Abx) used to exhibit labor leadership. Now they exploit legal loopholes.
They used to enjoy my maximum. Now they will suffer my minimum.
I am an army of one.

I used to save Abx a thousand pounds of fuel per leg; finding the best FL, getting direct routing, throttling back when on time was made, skimping during ground ops, adjusting for winds, being smart and giving the company every effort I could conjure. Now, it's "burn baby, burn".
I used to call maintenance while airborne, so the part would be ready at the gate. Now, they'll find the write-up when they look in the book.
I used to try to fix problems in the system, now I sit and watch as the miscues pile up.
I used to fly sick. Now I use my sick days, on short notice, on the worst day of the month.
I am an army of one.

I used to start the APU at the last possible moment. Now I enjoy extreme comfort.
I used to let the price of fuel at out-stations affect my fuel orders. I still do.
I used to cover mistakes by operations. Now I watch them unfold.
I used to hustle to ensure an on-time arrival, to make us the best.
I used to call dispatch for rerouting, to head off ground delays for bad weather. Now I collect OT, number 35 in line for takeoff. I am an army of one!

I am on a new mission - to demonstrate that misguided leadership of indifference and disrespect has a cost. It's about character, not contracts. It's about leading by taking care of your people instead of leadership by bean counters (an oxymoron). With acts of omission, not commission, I am a one-man wrecking crew - an army of one. My mission used to be to make Abx rich. Now it's to make Abx pay. When they furlough pilots, that cost them cents on the dollar - I will make them pay.

When they under-staff and over-work reserves to keep pilots downgraded, down-flowed, or downtrodden - I will make them pay.

When they force pilots, who have waited years to become captains, to be FO’S again - I will make them pay.

When they ask Abx pilots to show leadership, and then deny them longevity - I will make them pay.
When they furlough us like migrant workers - I will make them pay.

When they constantly violate the letter and spirit of our contract - a contract that's a bargain by any measure, and force us to fight lengthy grievances - I will make them pay.

My negotiating committee speaks for me, but I act on my own. I am a walking nightmare to the bean counters that made me. Are you listening? This mercenary has a lot of year’s left with this company. How long can you afford to keep me bitter? I'm not looking for clauses in a contract; I'm looking for a culture of commitment and caring. When I see it, I'll be a soldier for Abx again. Until then, I am an Army of One, a one man wrecking crew…And I'm not alone!"

Bravo,

Don't know who you are and it does not matter. We, airline pilots have been raped by the labor pedophiles running(ruining) our companies for the gains of a select few with the full blessing of DC and the federal courts. It is long time for us to take it back. This may have to be at the grass roots(line pilot) level. It would be better if there would be a coalition of unions (alpa, apa,ipa,teamsters,etc) that could put aside their differences and focus on what we have in common and that is a country that has lost respect for labor. We have to be united and bring the transportation industry to its knees, and this summer would be a great start. All we have to do is do our jobs. None of the extras we always do and all of these companies (pax and freight) will implode. Good luck with your fight. From a down but still fighting and not out NWA pilot.

I am an army of One - A crewmember in the Abx army.
For years I was a loyal soldier in Hette’s army. Now I fight my own war.
I used to feel valued and respected. Now I know I am mere fodder.
They (Abx) used to exhibit labor leadership. Now they exploit legal loopholes.
They used to enjoy my maximum. Now they will suffer my minimum.
I am an army of one.

I used to save Abx a thousand pounds of fuel per leg; finding the best FL, getting direct routing, throttling back when on time was made, skimping during ground ops, adjusting for winds, being smart and giving the company every effort I could conjure. Now, it's "burn baby, burn".
I used to call maintenance while airborne, so the part would be ready at the gate. Now, they'll find the write-up when they look in the book.
I used to try to fix problems in the system, now I sit and watch as the miscues pile up.
I used to fly sick. Now I use my sick days, on short notice, on the worst day of the month.
I am an army of one.

I used to start the APU at the last possible moment. Now I enjoy extreme comfort.
I used to let the price of fuel at out-stations affect my fuel orders. I still do.
I used to cover mistakes by operations. Now I watch them unfold.
I used to hustle to ensure an on-time arrival, to make us the best.
I used to call dispatch for rerouting, to head off ground delays for bad weather. Now I collect OT, number 35 in line for takeoff. I am an army of one!

I am on a new mission - to demonstrate that misguided leadership of indifference and disrespect has a cost. It's about character, not contracts. It's about leading by taking care of your people instead of leadership by bean counters (an oxymoron). With acts of omission, not commission, I am a one-man wrecking crew - an army of one. My mission used to be to make Abx rich. Now it's to make Abx pay. When they furlough pilots, that cost them cents on the dollar - I will make them pay.

When they under-staff and over-work reserves to keep pilots downgraded, down-flowed, or downtrodden - I will make them pay.

When they force pilots, who have waited years to become captains, to be FO’S again - I will make them pay.

When they ask Abx pilots to show leadership, and then deny them longevity - I will make them pay.
When they furlough us like migrant workers - I will make them pay.

When they constantly violate the letter and spirit of our contract - a contract that's a bargain by any measure, and force us to fight lengthy grievances - I will make them pay.

My negotiating committee speaks for me, but I act on my own. I am a walking nightmare to the bean counters that made me. Are you listening? This mercenary has a lot of year’s left with this company. How long can you afford to keep me bitter? I'm not looking for clauses in a contract; I'm looking for a culture of commitment and caring. When I see it, I'll be a soldier for Abx again. Until then, I am an Army of One, a one man wrecking crew…And I'm not alone!"
Bravo! You have put into words what many of us on both sides of the ABX/Astar fence have been feeling for quite some time now.

Has anybody forwarded this to the management of either company?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back