• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Funny thing is, most of the people screaming the loudest are senior enough to not have to go to Japan if they don't want to. Why? I think it is because they want to "say" they have flown overseas, but not have to do the 23 day stuff. All ego.

OPF at 13% pre-schedule drop in all seats except 9FO, so add in CRM/PC's and vacation and that will easily exceed 13%.

I am sure the union will step up and do the right thing, they did the last time there were furloughs...
Do you blame EVERYTHING on the senior pilots? How about global warming? No opf will just put all the extra flying on the bottom of the list. Just like 1997. It all still gets covered.

Do you blame EVERYTHING on the senior pilots? How about global warming? No opf will just put all the extra flying on the bottom of the list. Just like 1997. It all still gets covered.

I would beg to differ. If everyone, (that means unity) would not bid open time, stop the vacation buy back and not allow the company to junior man, then there would be no way to cover all the flying. The DC9 captain side alone had 14 line of flying droped into open time. I know you will then say how can you not allow the company to junior man. Don't accept the trip. They cannot charge you a sick day on an X day. They cannot tell me I have had adaquate rest. I do not have to answer the phone. We allow the company to act this way and allow them to abuse us for 4.5 hrs of pay. Wake up. Listen to the adio archive. Listen to John Dolls presentation. United we stand divided we fly 23 extended into 30 days in Japan.

I would beg to differ. If everyone, (that means unity) would not bid open time, stop the vacation buy back and not allow the company to junior man, then there would be no way to cover all the flying. The DC9 captain side alone had 14 line of flying droped into open time. I know you will then say how can you not allow the company to junior man. Don't accept the trip. They cannot charge you a sick day on an X day. They cannot tell me I have had adaquate rest. I do not have to answer the phone. We allow the company to act this way and allow them to abuse us for 4.5 hrs of pay. Wake up. Listen to the adio archive. Listen to John Dolls presentation. United we stand divided we fly 23 extended into 30 days in Japan.
Doesn't work. They don't need to call you for junior manning. you're told about a junior man assignment days/weeks in advance, when your already flying. THAT's what needs fixed.

I understand that, but an X day is an X day. Unable to fly still means unable to fly, even if it is a week in advance. If you do not want to play hardball with a scheduler than take the day back. In one month there would be no one left. The company would owe so many days back that the sort would stop.

When we (the union) gets tough then this will stop. PERIOD

I love it! When the senior guys actually are asked to do the stand up thing, they get all coy and smart. Then they will tell us they built this place from the ground up and they deserve it. Then they will say " oh, it doesn't matter if we don't bid OPF, it will all get assigned bottom 75 bottom 50 then we all get screwed". BULL.

Didn't we win a lawsuit filed by the company in 1997 about OPF?

And if you don't want to do a junior man assignment, I guarantee their is a way to get out of it, regardless of how it is assigned. How many sick days do you have?

Face it- if your not bulking up for retirement, you are living above your means if you MUST fly OPF every month.

I'm tired of the excuses, guys are losing their jobs so a lot of guys can buy toys!

Well said, much more articulate than I could have said it. Mine would have used curse words and such...........

Now is the time to show where you stand. This is black and white. If no open flying vacations or JA is allowed then we will cripple the company. They will not furlough, they will negotiate and we will get the contract that is what the pilot group as a whole wants. Unity. What a novel idea: Maybe we should try it once and see....................

Unity? That's asking for a bit too much. It never really has been a union of dues paying equals; a few too many special interest groups have always had their own agendas to fly in the face of unified action for a common goal. The limitations imposed by not being unified have continually been present although it takes a crisis to expose the fault lines.

Doesn't work. They don't need to call you for junior manning. you're told about a junior man assignment days/weeks in advance, when your already flying. THAT's what needs fixed.

You've got to be joking me. Could you explain how that makes any difference? I realize that we as pilots have a long history of "eating our own", but that is just ridiculous. I've been at Astar/DHL/Acme Air Cargo for 17 years. I've never not been able to get out of a junior man situation if I wanted to. And if it meant some guy was going to lose his job if I didn't get out of it, I'd sure want to.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back