• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX Furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Write your politician and ask them to get a hold of ole Joe and see what's the hold up with the severance.
With all the political pressure against the DHL thing, at least they could step in now and allow us to get the money DHL has already commited to spend!

or else what. You will keep working all the way up to the doors close. Im sorry I would know what I would do, but I would have done that a long time ago.

Ummm, yeah. Thats the whole point. Because some bean counter decided that they would skirt the 60 day notice by way of a DHL paid severance. That decision will only allow 2 weeks rather than the 2 months the law allowed. This late in the game it is not a question of staying until the end, but when you will be advised your end date. What you think you would do is horsey sauce since you are not doing it.

Last edited:
Wait, how did they get around the 60 day rule? There are ways to get away with it, but you have to prove that the layoff was not foreseeable 60 days in advance.

Wait, how did they get around the 60 day rule? There are ways to get away with it, but you have to prove that the layoff was not foreseeable 60 days in advance.

What they are doing is saying the 60 day notice will run "concurrently" with your severance. So actually what they are doing is taking away 6 1/2 weeks of pay and paying it through your severance. Sure, you are not working for that 6 1/2 weeks, but if you were you would be getting your paycheck....then after 60 days your severance would have started.

EDIT: Let me rephrase that...they are taking away 6 1/2 weeks of work, and paying the legal requirement through DHL. DHL is not required to give us the 60 days, ABX is. But DHL is not required to give us severance either, but they are. So ABX does not have to pay by way of the DHL severance.

Last edited:
One of the above posts states that the first furlough is Feb 16. Thats actually the third. The new guys went out in October. (14 I think?) Thirty three of us go out on January 13. 14 + 33 + 157=204 by Feb 16.

WIll all ABX pilots hit the street, or is there talks of flying a few 767s in MIA for Lan Cargo or some such thing.?

Sorry to see this screw job, been there a few times myself..:(

Mxer,
Didnt mean to imply it was the "first" furlough. Just trying to clarify for shooter that the 157 was the first wave in the announcement made today followed by many more. Sorry for the confusion.

What they are doing is saying the 60 day notice will run "concurrently" with your severance. So actually what they are doing is taking away 6 1/2 weeks of pay and paying it through your severance. Sure, you are not working for that 6 1/2 weeks, but if you were you would be getting your paycheck....then after 60 days your severance would have started.

EDIT: Let me rephrase that...they are taking away 6 1/2 weeks of work, and paying the legal requirement through DHL. DHL is not required to give us the 60 days, ABX is. But DHL is not required to give us severance either, but they are. So ABX does not have to pay by way of the DHL severance.

That is truly an artful dodge of responsibilty and corporate morals by ABX. Perhaps the affected workers need to do something similiar to those workers at the window factory in Chicago who were initially screwed by their company; yesterday all there demands were met, good for them!

Contact your politicos, they will probably listen...

Latest resources

Back