• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AAI to SWA Training Schedule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Only a complete moron would try to use pay to justify a loss in seniority.

Yet you sacrificed your Gulfstream seniority to go to Pinnacle. And then you walked away from your Pinnacle seniority to go to Airtran. These acts weren't just the loss of some seniority slots, they were a complete loss of all seniority and the ability to exercise any rights you once held on the seniority list.

I'm quite certain these transitions were motivated by pay; however, I would describe these as acts of a rational person, not a "complete moron."

Yet you sacrificed your Gulfstream seniority to go to Pinnacle. And then you walked away from your Pinnacle seniority to go to Airtran. These acts weren't just the loss of some seniority slots, they were a complete loss of all seniority and the ability to exercise any rights you once held on the seniority list.

I'm quite certain these transitions were motivated by pay; however, I would describe these as acts of a rational person, not a "complete moron."

Maybe he felt that AirTran was a career destination. Many AirTran guys believed that and enjoyed it and never intended to move on.

Exactly.

So were you or weren't you a "complete moron" when you gave up seniority for more pay?

Seniority arbitrations are done by category and status for a reason. Pay rates may fluctuate up and down over time to some extent, and which carrier is on top at any given year changes constantly. But a narrowbody job is a narrowbody job. An RJ job doesn't compare, and neither does a 747 job. That's why arbitrators don't slot them together. For the same reason, leaving an RJ operator to go to a 717/737 operator is not comparable to giving up seniority for pay when merged with another narrowbody operator. You know this. Don't pretend otherwise.

Many of your peers felt differently and left AAI, for SWA (and then got junior AAI placed over them)

Many? I don't think that word means what you think it means.

PCL 128 is a SWA hater. And that's OK.

I really don't mind. He was a SWA hater before the deal, so in a way, I admire his consistency.

Funny thing about hate, though. It clouds your judgement. It makes you walk away from a career at a new company that is worth seven figures more than the previous. It makes you eschew a new company known for great QOL and job security out of spite, although your old company had notoriously toxic management relations and questionable long term security.

Hate clouds one's judgement, and it can have devastating effects on one's personal life. But at least PCL's hate has only impacted his own situation.

Latest resources

Back