Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ty,

Money doesn't buy time at home.

When you make more per unit of time away from home (both in productivity and rate), you are then able to spend more time at home. So your choice is, spend the same amount of time away from home now, and receive a nice 30 - 40% pay bump. Or you can, spend A LOT more time at home, and be able to maintain the same lifestyle you currently enjoy.

It's funny, the posts never change. Same thing over and over again. The SWA pilots go to work to earn a living, pay their bills, send their kids to college, buy shoes to keep mama happy.

The ATN pilots go to work to exercise seniority.

Got it.

When someone is using pay scales and money to justify anything in this business, I'll point to UAL/Delta/USAirways pay scales on September 10, 2001 and then point them to pay scales on August 31, 2011, and invite them to enjoy annual pay snapshots every year since then.

No dog in this fight though...

Ty,

When you make more per unit of time away from home (both in productivity and rate), you are then able to spend more time at home. .
Cruncher, spare me the education about how money works. I'm pretty certain that Mrs Webb and I made more last year that Mr. and Mrs. Cruncher. :laugh:

Dropping trips while on reserve is a rarity, according to your reserve pilots. I can re-post dozens of posts where SWA pilots are complaining about not being able to drop trips on reserve . . . how no one wants their scraps, except during the leanest months, etc.

Ty,

I've got to disagree with your "money doesn't buy time at home" comment. Hypothetically, if you're working 20 days to make 100k at one job, then start working 15 days to make the same 100k, seems to me you just bought yourself 5 days at home. That's provided you're happy with the 100k.

Time is money and we, being paid by the hour/trip, should know that better than most. We spend our days trading one for the other.

You're tired of hearing the money argument? SL9 would have paid you more money for less work (time). Commuting or not, if you're happy with the money you're making now, you would have been home more days per month/year/career.

Ty,

I've got to disagree with your "money doesn't buy time at home" comment. Hypothetically, if you're working 20 days to make 100k at one job, then start working 15 days to make the same 100k, seems to me you just bought yourself 5 days at home. That's provided you're happy with the 100k.

Your example doesn't apply to our situation. I'm already getting good schedules, decent pay, and an easy commute.

If I lose 4 years seniority, I will be a reserve pilot with a two-leg commute. That's not more days off, and it's not much more money.

Why do you think most of us with decent seniority have stayed here?

Oh, I know, because with my degree, 20 year perfect work history and 4,000 hrs 737 PIC time, I just wasn't "competitive". :rolleyes:

Last edited:
When someone is using pay scales and money to justify anything in this business, I'll point to UAL/Delta/USAirways pay scales on September 10, 2001 and then point them to pay scales on August 31, 2011, and invite them to enjoy annual pay snapshots every year since then.

No dog in this fight though...
and I'll point you to the SWA payscale both pre and post 911, no change, except SWA now pays even more. Your argument is baseless, we are not talking UAL or DAL, we are talking SWA, the airline which pays it's bills net 30, not net bankruptcy.

Last edited:
Ty,

You have an Aviation Management degree? Well then, now we're getting somewhere. That right there will get you the brass ring! Since I don't have one, you can have my seniority. After all, I hardly deserve it.

It's all fun and games until someone with an aviation degree shows up.

Ty,

I hear you. Unfortunately, "your situation" no longer exists. I respect your position, but still contend that, for a given amount of income, you'll have had more time at home under SL9.

Ty,

I hear you. Unfortunately, "your situation" no longer exists. I respect your position, but still contend that, for a given amount of income, you'll have had more time at home under SL9.

SL9 applied to your Pilot Group, and would have given you more time at home.

The LOA to our Contract, which applied to us, would have achieved the opposite effect.

TW

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back