• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA recalls starting to increase

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is more fun then talking about recalls.

In approx 14 months of recalling pilots a total of 1447 pilots have been offered recalls. Of those 742 have taken the recall, the rest have bypassed. 1384 have yet to receive a call.

According to the APA website, only 1 pilot was recalled as a Captain to STL and that was in Jan 07. Just one. It sounds like the information that started this thread was probably hearsay followed by an emotional posting.

Last edited:
Uh, would that be me?

Perhaps I goofed, let me clearify:

In my recall class Oct 3rd, we had quite a few ex-TWA dudes who came in with re-instatement rights to MD-80 Captain, St. Louis.
Each name and their reinstatement rights were called out loud and clear by Scott Hansen. They were however witheld, some as B-767 F/Os.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I thought these guys then get 12 year Captains pay while flying F/O?
If that is correct, it is not a shabby deal compared to some of us native AA guys that had to start over again when we came to AA after a long career with other failed airlines.

They had reinstatement rights to Captain. They were notified so that they could make a decision which 1 RR they wanted to keep. It is a significant RR so I'm sure Hansen wanted them to know they had that option. Were you notified of your RRs? You were also able to keep 1 RR, providing you had more than 1. There were no "withhelds" in the class.

Every recallee gets paid for the seat they are flying. No ex-TWA recallee is getting "pay protected" for the CA seat while flying FO. Recent recallees are getting 12 year FO pay for the aircraft they are assigned. This is because they are in their 15/16th year of longevity for pay purposes.

XTW

This is because they are in their 15/16th year of longevity for pay purposes.

Lucky dogs.

I came to AA on 1st year pay.
Guess I am envious.

Were you notified of your RRs? You were also able to keep 1 RR, providing you had more than 1. There were no "withhelds" in the class.

I had reinstatement rights to B-767, FO, MIA. International. Got NY instead, then MIA next month.
Not complaining, but if ya have the reinstatements rights to a base/seat/type, ya will get it on the next opeing before the preference bid.
If ya are witheld, ya get paid for the other one.

It sounds like the information that started this thread was probably hearsay followed by an emotional posting.

This started the thread:

Two April recall classes now... 20 in the April 2 class, 30 in the April 15 class for a total of 50 in April. Up to #1430 or so out of 2750 furloughed.

But the bad news is that retirements have practically stopped in March. The ugly face of age 65 will become apparent soon. If you have a decent income outside this business, it may be wise to defer recall, and invest your efforts in a career where they are appreciated.

G4G5--Not telling the whole story doesn't qualify as "perjury". What follows comes straight from a member of the TWA BOD who was present and an integral part of any and all discussions that determined TWA's fate:

The day before the AA deal broke in the papers, there was another deal on the table before the BOD (the Company BOD, not the union...). Bill Compton pleaded for an opportunity to finalize a deal that would be 'better for everyone'. That was the AA deal.

One of the conditions of the deal on the table was that Compton be replaced by professional management. He had no golden parachute--he gets to return to the line.

The BOD, out of respect for Compton, granted his wish, gave him time and the rest is history. Compton walked away with a 7-figure payout from AA...

As for the RUMOR that ANY former TWA pilot returned from involuntary furlough as a CA is false. I was in the July 31 class and you can bet your a$$ I would know.

I'm about 3 years away now. TC

P.S.--Correcting misinformation is not "arguing". There is a lot of misinformation floating around out there and it does no one any good to allow it to spread.

TC,
The individual in question was recalled directly into the left seat, in the 3-Jan-07 class, you are correct in saying "voluntaryfurlough" the individual in question was returning from a voluntary furlough.

As far as the TWA deal, I am not going into he said/she said rumors ( I heard plenty at the LGA base meetings). Like you I have my version, but I like to keep it real by refering to Compton's direct quotes and the SEC financial data. This allows an inividual to make a informed opinion on their own.

IMHO, he did tell the whole story, just not the one that everyone wants to hear. No one, especially the CEO of a major US corporation, is going into a US Senate hearing, (knowing the ramifications) and tell some make believe BS story.

This is his direct statement to the US Senate:
"Only American Airlines saw fit this winter to come forward with a proposal that was not merely an offer to cherry-pick a prized asset here or there" According to your BOD source, he commited purjury if their was a better offer on the table.

http://judiciary.senate.gov/oldsite/te020701wc.htm

PB

Last edited:
You need to get your history straight. What were Bill Compton's comments? I don't recall any of the CEO's from the airlines you mentioned giving up and telling the employees that their "were no white knights'.
History is straight but thanks for putting the AA spin on things.

My point was that they declared bankruptcy and were bought by AA. They didn't go out of business. There is a difference. AA provided debtor in possession financing and TWA continued to operate under it's OWN operating certificate.

TC,
The individual in question was recalled directly into the left seat, in the 3-Jan-07 class, you are correct in saying "voluntaryfurlough" the individual in question was returning from a voluntary furlough.

As far as the TWA deal, I am not going into he said/she said rumors ( I heard plenty at the LGA base meetings). Like you I have my version, but I like to keep it real by refering to Compton's direct quotes and the SEC financial data. This allows an inividual to make a informed opinion on their own.

IMHO, he did tell the whole story, just not the one that everyone wants to hear. No one, especially the CEO of a major US corporation, is going into a US Senate hearing, (knowing the ramifications) and tell some make believe BS story.

This is his direct statement to the US Senate:
"Only American Airlines saw fit this winter to come forward with a proposal that was not merely an offer to cherry-pick a prized asset here or there" According to your BOD source, he commited purjury if their was a better offer on the table.

http://judiciary.senate.gov/oldsite/te020701wc.htm

PB

G4G5,

Are you kidding? Do you really think that CEO's dont exaggerate or "stretch the truth" in these situations? In a court of law, it would be difficult, if not impossible to disprove Comptons' claims. There just are'nt any statements of fact there that could be tested.

As someone previously pointed out, TWA paid off a large note (which could have been easily re-negotiated) in the months before these hearings in order to make the cash position look as desperate as possible. What was not pointed out was that the note was on the order of $200 million, as I recall.

Compton was able to look Congress in the eye and tell them that the TWA situation was desperate because it was....he made it that way to facilitate the deal. He was talking with AA for a YEAR before the deal was announced. It was not just announced on the spur of the moment.

There's something else that should be acknowledged here: TWA brought airplanes, routes, gates, slots and market share to AA. These things represent value, and that value exists to this day, although it is difficult to quantify. I think it's fair to say that the economic value that TWA brought to the equation is much more than what is represented by the 400 or so TWA pilots who are currently working for AA.

This started the thread:

But the bad news is that retirements have practically stopped in March. The ugly face of age 65 will become apparent soon. If you have a decent income outside this business, it may be wise to defer recall, and invest your efforts in a career where they are appreciated.

Good point.

I meant the response by the guy whining about pulling gear for 17 years while his fellow APA members are on the street.

You guys kill me, none of you want to believe sworn Senate testimony. You would rather believe your own versions. OK, I give.

Like I said before Ican killed TWA not AA

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back