AA Jamaica UPDATE: Jamaican Investigator claims poor landing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Those are fighting words mother f###er!

I am a Southwest Airlines pilot. I think of Joshua Woods much more often than you do. That incident clearly showed braking actions that were less than reported, thrust reversers that were slow to deploy, and two pilots that flew a textbook approach and landing. They were unlucky.

I was trying to give a laugh to those who have been very quick to hurl a dart at Southwest in the past for taxi speeds and our Burbank over-run.

I'm usually a pretty laid back dude but I'd gladly give you a chance to repeat your quip to my face.

Gup

Textbook?
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=DCA06MA009&rpt=fi

Nope!

Guppy. grow a pair!

I am a Southwest Airlines pilot. I think of Joshua Woods much more often than you do. That incident clearly showed braking actions that were less than reported, thrust reversers that were slow to deploy, and two pilots that flew a textbook approach and landing. They were unlucky.

I was trying to give a laugh to those who have been very quick to hurl a dart at Southwest in the past for taxi speeds and our Burbank over-run.

I'm usually a pretty laid back dude but I'd gladly give you a chance to repeat your quip to my face.

Gup

Hi Gup:

No offense - but are you really saying that the crew in the BUR incident flew a textbook approach? I , like many here have read the report and I must have missed the comments about a "textbook approach".

I know your earlier comments were meant to get a laugh, and nothing more. But at the end of the day - if your approach is stable by 1000', then 99.999999 percent of the time will result in a normal landing - thats all I am saying.

Metrojet

Most accidents at the majors happen when the PIC is flying.

Probably because a lot of airlines require the captain to land if conditions are not ideal. Making approaches close to minimums or winds beyond a certain limit or special airports make it the captains landing.

satpak77;1932970 Lt. Col. Oscar Derby said:
touchdown usually occurs at 1,500 feet, or between 1,000 and 1,500 feet [down an 8,900-foot airstrip]," Derby said. "Why this aircraft touched down at 4,100 feet is something that we are investigating very carefully in order to determine what the cause might be."
... Lt Derby then nadded, "Monn."

Gup

Guppy,
I wouldn’t get too upset if I were you.

There are still many southwest pilots doing things that can make a landing “unlucky”. By the way, your passengers did not buy a “chance”.

Years after the Southwest Airlines MDW accident I was inbound to MDW and an ILS to 31C with winds out of the southwest and the runway was wet. Numerous Southwest flights were landing on 31C.

My landing data showed the tailwind and wet runway would make landing on 31C unsafe. We alerted approach that we were unable to land on 31C.

Approach immediately said to expect 13C. All the Southwest flights that had been inbound to 31C advised they too could not accept 31C.

Why did all those Southwest flights reject 31C after I refused the runway?

No one has said anything about the crappy windshield wipers on the 737. During heavy rain they can't keep up are completely useless. I always keep rainex wipes in my flight bag.

No one has said anything about the crappy windshield wipers on the 737. During heavy rain they can't keep up are completely useless. I always keep rainex wipes in my flight bag.

This was discussed on the original thread about the accident. Its my guess that the horrible vis in a 737 during hvy rain certainly could have been a factor in why they landed long (and may not have known it).

Its my understanding that the feds don't look kindly upon pilots applying rainx to aircraft windsheilds. At CAL we can call mx and have them apply it.

The PIC was PF and probably using the HUD - or at least he put it down at some point.

I'm not in the left seat - how much would a HUD help or hinder touchdown accuracy? How about HUD vs rain? Which mode?

How about this: How do AA pilots on the 737 check landing performance?

Thanks.

If you stick with the information the HUD gives you and do exactly what it says, you can theoritically land in zero zero right on the touchdown zone on speed, on centerline. Turbulence from a thunderstorm and the distraction of visually looking "thru" the HUD (or HGS) for the runway can cause a huge distraction however.

Hi Gup:

No offense - but are you really saying that the crew in the BUR incident flew a textbook approach? I , like many here have read the report and I must have missed the comments about a "textbook approach".

Metrojet

He was talking about the MDW accident, and he's right.

And no, BUR was not not even close to a textbook approach. It was even off the "unstable approach" chart.

Latest resources

Back