A Southwest pilot perspective

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bubba,
You seem like a good dude and most of us at ATN get it and understand the culture. Take the crap you read here with a grain of salt. It represents less than 5% of us Trannies.

Yes, I totally agree an arbitrator isn't going to give a rats cajones about how great the SW pilots think they are. In fact, if they show this level of arrogance, they will probably get a good smack down from the arbitrator.

Career expectations??? Southwest expectations were based on a business model that requires constant growth. That model is basically a Ponsi scheme and is obviously broken, ergo 11 year co-pilots who are controlling the dialogue. Southwest was always the darling child of de-regulation which never worked as advertised and required constant love from Sweet Uncle. Now with a broken economy and no where else to grow, them chickens are looking for a place to roost. On one hand you might think chicken soup and lots of fertilizer but it's still just chicken s*#t.

Then bring that argument to the negotiating table and arbitrator if need be. If SWAPA truly felt that was a legitimate point that should dominate the construction of the list, have the courage of your convictions and bring it to arbitration.

Ding! Ding! Ding! 3 guys who get it. Believe me, we went into an arbitration with an arrogant attitude and got our butts handed to us.

Bubba,
You seem like a good dude and most of us at ATN get it and understand the culture. Take the crap you read here with a grain of salt. It represents less than 5% of us Trannies.

Apparently the MEC acted on the input your rank and file gave them.

Yes and there alot of rank and file who have finally had a wake up call and realized they were not given all of the facts.

Yes and there alot of rank and file who have finally had a wake up call and realized they were not given all of the facts.

I also believe you guys, like us, being the rank and file will be ok once this blows over. I never thought the ALPA exit was going to be painless. I think we all knew that. SWA, SWAPA, and the rank and file at ATN. I just hope your 10% along with our 10% STFU once this is over and just play ball. Maybe we can redirect all of this BS at mother DAL in ATL instead of at eachother.

I think 90% of you will love it here once the dust settles and we move on. The thing is either one of us can make an argument as to why we are getting screwed and that goes for all pilots at both companies. We both have compelling arguments as to why, but the thing I want to know is how we are going to move on and get guys on both sides to
STFU and not start arguments and fights in cockpits, hotels, etc... especially since both rank and file groups were taken for a ride neither one of us really wanted.

Career expectations??? Southwest expectations were based on a business model that requires constant growth. That model is basically a Ponsi scheme and is obviously broken, ergo 11 year co-pilots who are controlling the dialogue. Southwest was always the darling child of de-regulation which never worked as advertised and required constant love from Sweet Uncle. Now with a broken economy and no where else to grow, them chickens are looking for a place to roost. On one hand you might think chicken soup and lots of fertilizer but it's still just chicken s*#t.

Maru, I can't tell if you and your friends hpilot, fdj2, and fubijaakr (and on your six, for that matter) are actually ATN guys trying to advocate a position, or simply pot-stirrers. I'm leaning towards the latter: since a lot of your posts are ad-hominem and straw man attacks, and basically consist of shouting the same things over and over and generally congratulating each other for agreeing with you all (as if that means anything).

My guess is Delta guys trying to stir up trouble, 'cause you're a little worried about what will happen when a larger SWA starts competing with you in Atlanta.

Well, what say you guys? You don't have to give your names, but how about identifying your airline so everyone knows your actual agenda? Or you could just go back to your baiting exercise. Don't forget to keep quoting each other just as if any of you are know the first thing about this situation, and are authorities in anything other than troublemaking.

Bubba

Just for the Maru guy, who has yet to offer a single rational and cogent arument on this or any other thread:

All airlines need growth. Growth for upgrades, etc. You don't grow, you shrink and die. A Ponzi scheme? Obviously broken? Again, what are you smoking? SWA has grown while others have shrunk, has worked exactly as advertised, continues to pay and treat its employees much better than every other airline on earth, and, oh yeah, STILL makes money year after year after year.

Requiring constant love from Sweet Uncle (Uncle Sam, I assume you mean)? Did you really just say that with a straight face, or were you actually laughing when you typed that? Think back: SWA is the airline that took nothing from the govt after 9/11. No loans, grants, etc. NOTHING. They laid off NOBODY. They kept hiring (albeit at a slower rate). They kept giving profitablilty and cost of living raises. It became the envy of the airline world. Your airline? Uh, not so much.

Bubba.

Last edited:
Maru, I can't tell if you and your friends hpilot, fdj2, and fubijaakr (and on your six, for that matter) are actually ATN guys trying to advocate a position, or simply pot-stirrers. I'm leaning towards the latter: since a lot of your posts are ad-hominem and straw man attacks, and basically consist of shouting the same things over and over and generally congratulating each other for agreeing with you all (as if that means anything).

My guess is Delta guys trying to stir up trouble, 'cause you're a little worried about what will happen when a larger SWA starts competing with you in Atlanta.

Well, what say you guys? You don't have to give your names, but how about identifying your airline so everyone knows your actual agenda? Or you could just go back to your baiting exercise. Don't forget to keep quoting each other just as if any of you are know the first thing about this situation, and are authorities in anything other than troublemaking.

Bubba

Why would Delta guys try to stir up trouble, when YOUR guys were the ones with the lowball offer and constant putdowns on this and other forums to the Airtran people? You treat your new family members really poorly, and most of the posts I have seen on here from OYS and Fubi have been for you guys to tone it down. Your mergers with Muse and Morris were a lot easier back then because the Gov't didn't care as much, until the TWA guys were lambasted by AA. Now it's not as easy to staple, and recent arbitration awards now seem like the norm.

Instead of putdowns and subliminal comparisons to crappy prop companies like Great Lakes, why don't you just accept that Airtran is a miniature version of you, and it won't be merged in at the bottom. You may lose some seniority, and you can thank your CEO for that, not the people who want QOL and better pay, who are just like everyone else. Try not to believe your hype, and especially not the hype of your dumb TV commercials.

Bye Bye---General Lee

SWABubba

With all due respect from a fellow SWA pilot, SWA did take gov funds after 911.

Howev we also were the only airline to pay taxes on the money since we were the only ones making a profit.

With all due respect from a fellow SWA pilot, SWA did take gov funds after 911.

Howev we also were the only airline to pay taxes on the money since we were the only ones making a profit.

Don't confuse him with facts.

Latest resources

Back