• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A Review of Avantair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
this guy was flat out busted using a second user name to respond to himself. Ya he is really honest

Sshrae,

Remember, you can't have an unpopular opinion or perspective on F.I. That's a rule!!!!!! Personally, I find it a bit refreshing that people have different views. With that said, pilots are very territorial and they attach their egos to their jobs. That's too bad. Lies about an employer should not be accepted - they should be refuted but not in an overly defensive/aggressive manner IMHO.

Personally, I think Avantair would be a great place to work. That P180 looks like a fun airplane to fly. Having a spouse who works and makes decent money certainly would make the first few years' salary a bit more palatable...

I agree with that statement. Dual incomes are very much needed nowadays - especially when one person works in an aviation-related business. Why put so much pressure on you and your family when relying solely on a pilot income (especially when starting with a new company at a low pay grade)? Dual incomes are a necessity.

Its a breath of fresh air to see experienced crew defend their company on FI. Seems to be the exception. Good thread!

The big Avantair conference call is scheduled for today. All pilots were encouraged to participate. Let's hope they are announcing that they are going to immediately start paying their 2nd year FO's $50,000 like they deserve. We can only hope!

FO pay is being looked at right now. The company realizes that the non-upgrade issue at this time merits some kind of increase for FO's second year pay, and the Pilot's Advisory Committee is working on it. Again, who else in the aviation industry is discussing a pay raise right now? Not even the almighty NJ! (that brass ring is pretty awesome, though!)

What a self-absorbed ego-"mainiac" I must be, quoting myself!
but...
Conference call Thursday for some exciting news regarding pay increase. huh, go figure?

Again, who else in the industry is discussing a pay raise right now?

anyone? anyone? bueller...bueller....

The big Avantair conference call is scheduled for today. All pilots were encouraged to participate. Let's hope they are announcing that they are going to immediately start paying their 2nd year FO's $50,000 like they deserve. We can only hope!

I think you are just setting our company up for further bashing. We all know, including you, that a raise to 50K for second year FOs is not going to happen. Give it abreak already. You didn't like it here so you left. Everyone is happy.

For anyone that is interested, the quarterly financial conference call is today, after the close of the markets.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AAIR.OB

http://biz.yahoo.com/cc/4/104284.html

I haven't posted in a long time, but when I heard about mr. b's rant I had to check it out. I must say that his post is everything that the other Avantair pilots say it is.

BTDI came in the door at Avantair last year and didn't impress anyone with his rants on the company forums. He made sure his reputation as a chronic complainer preceeded him. Thankfully, I never flew with him but I've met him and wasn't impressed. Not a personal attack - just my observation.

Anyway, I've been here about 4 years and I haven't seen the numerous problems that he's experienced in just one year here. Here's my experience having been here 4 times as long as the thread starter.

I've never had a problem with the sick policy. When I'm sick, I call in and use my sick time. I also have been allowed to return mid-tour. Yes, if you are out for more than 3 days you have to get a doctors note - that's standard procedure at many companies so I'm not sure what the issue is with that.

I've never been charged for a crew meal, but then again I wasn't one of the pilots who was abusing the crew meal system to begin with. Crew meals are rather expensive ($40 to 75 each on the average) and we were asked to chip in $10 for a crew meal. Remember per diem? That's there to cover your expenses such as MEALS while on tour. As soon as the new policy went into effect the abuse of the crew meals stopped.

If I have a maintenance issue, yes, I've gotten phone calls by the powers that be to see what the issue is and see if I can possibly defer the item and continue. But if I say the plane is grounded, it's grounded and I have never been pressured to fly a plane that was unairworthy.

You complain about FO cell phone usage. Avantair gives FO's $25 each month toward the use of their cell phones. Unless someone has a horrible cell plan, the FO's are making a few extra bucks on that deal.

The FO flying policy, well, it is what it is. About 45% of the flights are empty and FO's are flying them. Once FO's reach 225 hours, they are allowed to fly live legs so that means FO's are now flying the other 5% of the flights that the captains once were flying. If you're captains weren't letting you fly live legs after a year, then maybe the problem isn't the captains or the policy.

Yes, when you were hired, FO's were upgrading at around the one year mark. It would not be cost effective to continue to upgrade FO's when the need for captains is not there. You seem to have a sense of entitlement to the fourth stripe and when you didn't get it you left. The economy changed and we had to adjust many things along with it, including our upgrades. To hold the company negatively responsible for that seems just a little selfish, don't you think?

Avantair has been a great place to work for me. Perfect? No, but it's getting better every day as reflected in our latest financials which were released today. It seems that it is mutually beneficial that you left Avantair, BTDI. You are obviously happier and we are better off for it.

I've heard what your new job is and I wish you the best of luck in your career progression. I'm just sorry you felt the need to sling mud as you walked out the door - not surprised, just sorry.

Latest resources

Back